STEP: Lowering Blood Pressure Below 130 mm Hg Shows CV Benefit

Not sure if I missed it but what exactly was the method used in the trial?
It doesn't say (bizarre) but for intractable hypertension, it is always meds first.

Intensive Blood Pressure Treatment for Resistant Hypertension

Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial

"In accordance with the previous studies,13–15 resistant hypertension was defined as a persistent BP of ≥140/90 mm Hg, despite the concurrent use of 3 antihypertensive agents or a controlled BP of <140/90 mm Hg requiring 4 or more antihypertensive agents."

It doesn't say (bizarre) but for intractable hypertension, it is always meds first.

Intensive Blood Pressure Treatment for Resistant Hypertension

Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial

"In accordance with the previous studies,13–15 resistant hypertension was defined as a persistent BP of ≥140/90 mm Hg, despite the concurrent use of 3 antihypertensive agents or a controlled BP of <140/90 mm Hg requiring 4 or more antihypertensive agents."

Ahh so the study is essentially highlighting the efficacy of BP meds?

Again sorry I didn't see it listed but do you know if they used beta blockers or ACE inhibitors?

Either way appreciate the post good sir!

Ahh so the study is essentially highlighting the efficacy of BP meds?

Again sorry I didn't see it listed but do you know if they used beta blockers or ACE inhibitors?

Either way appreciate the post good sir!
Often, these articles are written for healthcare professionals. They assume the treatment method is known and therefore left out; as I stated before, it is bizarre and rather unprofessional. if I was to write a paper in my paper writing days and left out treatment methods; I would be criticized for it.

The treatment of resistant hypertension is the concurrent use of three antihypertensive agents of different classes taken at maximally tolerated doses, one of which should be a diuretic (the diuretic should be selected based upon kidney function.

Reference:
Resistant Hypertension: Detection, Evaluation, and Management: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.