Statins and the effects on lipids

I am curious about this topic as well. My own lipids are elevated, and have been for years now. Doc would rather I workout, eat clean- mediterranean diet, abstain from alcohol and weed than take statins.

I highly recommend that every five years after the age of 40
a guy spends the $450 and gets his calcium score done, as it’s not covered unless you’ve had a heart attack.

it’s the only way to know for sure how much build up you have. My lipids have always looked stellar but because of family history my doctor had me do the test last year and it came back that one artery was 25% clogged. I first had this test done 10 years ago and at that point I had zero plaque.

PS Angina and heart problems start at 70%

My dr prescribed me low dosage Crestor (5mg) BUT I have not taken it yet. Wanted to get stress down and clean up diet a bit first.

I have researched it a ton:

lipids and plaque are not always directly correlated

Crestor is a second generation drug so has less sides (kidney etc) than Lipitor

low dosage when you have plaque but a low risk level to prevent issues is safer than high dosages (30-50mg) once you are at high risk

A huge research study that most of the doctors are now quoting came out last year that directly correlated North Americans males living longer than previous decades to the use of second generation statins

tough topic: many things impact stress, inflammation and plaque build up. Exercise, diet and stress management should be the first level of defense. Taking any drug long-term should not be the first choice. But if you have an issue do what your doctor says, and get yourself educated on the topic

I am curious about this topic as well. My own lipids are elevated, and have been for years now. Doc would rather I workout, eat clean- mediterranean diet, abstain from alcohol and weed than take statins.

Curious, what does weed have to do with lipid levels?

I highly recommend that every five years after the age of 40
a guy spends the $450 and gets his calcium score done, as it’s not covered unless you’ve had a heart attack.

it’s the only way to know for sure how much build up you have. My lipids have always looked stellar but because of family history my doctor had me do the test last year and it came back that one artery was 25% clogged. I first had this test done 10 years ago and builat that point I had zero plaque.

PS Angina and heart problems start at 70%

Just a note from tlaking to my doctor..

lower DHEA levels are linked to higher incidence of calcium in arteries.. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right, but he said having low DHEA levels causes the build up in arteries.

My dr prescribed me low dosage Crestor (5mg) BUT I have not taken it yet. Wanted to get stress down and clean up diet a bit first.

low dosage when you have plaque but a low risk level to prevent issues is safer than high dosages (30-50mg) once you are at high risk

A huge research study that most of the doctors are now quoting came out last year that directly correlated North Americans males living longer than previous decades to the use of second generation statins

tough topic: many things impact stress, inflammation and plaque build up. Exercise, diet and stress management should be the first level of defense. Taking any drug long-term should not be the first choice. But if you have an issue do what your doctor says, and get yourself educated on the topic

I went through this for 2 years.. I finally caved and accepted a statin.. The vast majority of your bad cholesterol levels is simply what your body is making.. nothing to do with your diet. your diet cant turn off how much your body is going to produce regardlss of what you eat or don't eat.

Another thing to check if your lipid levels are out of whack is your thyroid. My doctor told me anyone he sees with issues with lipids or blood sugar the first thing he does is get their TSH levels below 1. He said often times the blood suagr and lipid problems go away with a better functioning thyroid.

I went through this for 2 years.. I finally caved and accepted a statin.. The vast majority of your bad cholesterol levels is simply what your body is making.. nothing to do with your diet. your diet cant turn off how much your body is going to produce regardlss of what you eat or don't eat.

Another thing to check if your lipid levels are out of whack is your thyroid. My doctor told me anyone he sees with issues with lipids or blood sugar the first thing he does is get their TSH levels below 1. He said often times the blood suagr and lipid problems go away with a better functioning thyroid.
This is why this is a good topic because it’s not always 1+1=2.

My lipids, blood sugar and thyroid are pristine. That is why it was a surprise when I had plaque in my arteries.
Things I am exploring are cortisol levels are above range, my DHEA low and I just learned I have severe sleep apnea.

I'm using 5mg crestor right now...That's right a measly 5mg and my lipids are great.Side effects none not at 5mgs...I even played with 2.5 and it worked as well but 5mg was better.5mg is nothing but when you get to 40mg and higher there is a possibility for side effects like any drug.Shit even tylenol has side effects.

This is why this is a good topic because it’s not always 1+1=2.

My lipids, blood sugar and thyroid are pristine. That is why it was a surprise when I had plaque in my arteries.
Things I am exploring are cortisol levels are above range, my DHEA low and I just learned I have severe sleep apnea.
Let's not forget generics do play a factor.

Was that study done on individuals without a heart issue first? Do you have a link?

@Oldguyjiujitsu
"The first generation statins included lovastatin, pravastatin, and fluvastatin; simvastatin and atorvastatin among second generation; and rosuvastatin (Crestor) and pitavastatin among third generation statins."

@Oldguyjiujitsu
"The first generation statins included lovastatin, pravastatin, and fluvastatin; simvastatin and atorvastatin among second generation; and rosuvastatin (Crestor) and pitavastatin among third generation statins."
I stand corrected...guess I was off by a generation...(I hate being wrong lol) but I do like correct data. thx