starting prescription DHEA today

That is why I mentioned no frequency reported. Most meds in a CPS have percentages attached to the sides. If it doesn't find one that does. Nobody is trying to cover their asses.
This is Seroquel or Quetiapine.

Adverse Effects​

>10%​

Dizziness (1-18%)

Fatigue (3-14%)

Extrapyramidal symptoms (1-13%)

Increased diastolic blood pressure (41%)

Increased triglycerides (8-22%)

Increased total cholesterol (7-18%)

Increased appetite (2-12%)

Constipation (6-11%)

Dry mouth (9-44%)

Headache (7-21)

Somnolence (18-57%)

1-10%​

Abdominal pain (4-7%; dose related)

Dyspepsia (2-7%; dose related

Tremor (2-8%)

Back pain (3-5%)

Postural hypotension (2-7%)

Tachycardia (1-6%)

Pharyngitis (4-6%)

Rhinitis (3-4%)

Rash (4%)

Blurred vision (1-4%)

Arthralgia (1-4%)

Myalgia (2%)

Neck pain (2%)

Dyskinesia (4%)

Neutropenia (2%)

Hemorrhage (1%)

< 1%​

Priapism

Cardiomyopathy, myocarditis

QTc prolongation

Night mares

Pancreatitis

Rhabdomyolysis

Palpitation

Leukocytosis

Epistaxis

Exfoliative dermatitis

Postmarketing Reports​

Drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS), falls, nocturnal enuresis, retrograde amnesia, syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS), toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN), decreased platelet count, serious liver reactions (including hepatitis, liver necrosis, and hepatic failure), agranulocytosis, intestinal obstruction, ileus, colon ischemia, urinary retention, sleep apnea, and acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP)
Next: Warnings
We will have to agree to disagree. As I have have tried so many things ... the doctors say one thing in terms of sides and issues, I get the opposite, makes it difficult to know why certain things are reported , as there is not a lot of studies I can find to support a lot of sides listed. I am very distrustful of various doctors that I have been screwed around by ... even my current doctor I can't tell her the full truth as she just blindly blames certain issues on various things. (I use to disclose that I took steroids, she blames pretty near everything on those, now I say I have stopped, she has a hard time coming up for a reason for various things I encounter now).

We will have to agree to disagree. As I have have tried so many things ... the doctors say one thing in terms of sides and issues, I get the opposite, makes it difficult to know why certain things are reported , as there is not a lot of studies I can find to support a lot of sides listed. I am very distrustful of various doctors that I have been screwed around by ... even my current doctor I can't tell her the full truth as she just blindly blames certain issues on various things. (I use to disclose that I took steroids, she blames pretty near everything on those, now I say I have stopped, she has a hard time coming up for a reason for various things I encounter now).

You are looking for studies when you should be checking the FDA and Health Canada and for vaccines VAERS. There is nothing wrong with your opinion, but idiosyncratic reactions happen with most meds; that is why we have so many of them
One thing with meds you should be concerned with is not the listed sides but the post-marketing reports.

Thought i would add some new thoughts to the DHEA topic. I stopped taking DHEA about 6 months ago but recently TRT Dr did some blood work. I had two observations.

1. When you supplement DHEA it shutsdown your natural DHEA production. I wondered if you stopped supplementing DHEA would you return to your natural levels. two years ago my DHEA was 5. The reference range is >14 so i was deficient. Over the next two years i supplemented with 25mg for 3-6 months would take a month or two off then go back on. I had recently been off it for 6 months (no real reason) and my BW showed that after 2 years my natural production level was still a 5. So for me there was no negative effect of being shutdown.

2. I have now been back on 25mg of DHEA for 2 weeks. First thing i noticed was that my mind was way clearer in the AM. It was like a mini fog (i did not know i had) lifted. so for me there is a cognitive benefit to DHEA supplementation. Also i noticed that by the end of week 1 my pumps were greater. My blood work had shown that my cortisol was getting to the upper end of normal (new role at work adding stress). The DHEA was definitely blocking or binding to cortisol (can't remember the mechanism of action) which manifested itself through better pumps.

The above emphasized for me that IF you are deficient, supplementing does have benefits.

PS - i finally convince my wife, who is also turning 50, and not feeling her best to go to TRT Dr and get tested. Her DHEA was rock bottom at 1.5 so look forward to more data on how it impacts her.

Thought i would add some new thoughts to the DHEA topic. I stopped taking DHEA about 6 months ago but recently TRT Dr did some blood work. I had two observations.

1. When you supplement DHEA it shutsdown your natural DHEA production. I wondered if you stopped supplementing DHEA would you return to your natural levels. two years ago my DHEA was 5. The reference range is >14 so i was deficient. Over the next two years i supplemented with 25mg for 3-6 months would take a month or two off then go back on. I had recently been off it for 6 months (no real reason) and my BW showed that after 2 years my natural production level was still a 5. So for me there was no negative effect of being shutdown.

2. I have now been back on 25mg of DHEA for 2 weeks. First thing i noticed was that my mind was way clearer in the AM. It was like a mini fog (i did not know i had) lifted. so for me there is a cognitive benefit to DHEA supplementation. Also i noticed that by the end of week 1 my pumps were greater. My blood work had shown that my cortisol was getting to the upper end of normal (new role at work adding stress). The DHEA was definitely blocking or binding to cortisol (can't remember the mechanism of action) which manifested itself through better pumps.

The above emphasized for me that IF you are deficient, supplementing does have benefits.

PS - i finally convince my wife, who is also turning 50, and not feeling her best to go to TRT Dr and get tested. Her DHEA was rock bottom at 1.5 so look forward to more data on how it impacts her.
1 of Dhea's role is to lower cortisol where as 1 of pregnenolones role is to increse cortisol, so if you find your low on cortisol then adding pregnenolone will help, if you find your high then dhea steps into help, if your not on hcg, then youve shut down , a very important source for pregnenolone and 11 other essential hormones, finding the right balance with dhea and pregnenolone can be beneficial, 5mg to 10mg dhea and 10 to 50mg of pregnenolone etc just have to find the perfect balance.

Dhea /pregnenolone are miracle workers for inflammation in the brain that causes brain fog etc.

1 of Dhea's role is to lower cortisol where as 1 of pregnenolones role is to increse cortisol, so if you find your low on cortisol then adding pregnenolone will help, if you find your high then dhea steps into help, if your not on hcg, then youve shut down , a very important source for pregnenolone and 11 other essential hormones, finding the right balance with dhea and pregnenolone can be beneficial, 5mg to 10mg dhea and 10 to 50mg of pregnenolone etc just have to find the perfect balance.

Dhea /pregnenolone are miracle workers for inflammation in the brain that causes brain fog etc.
I'm sorry, what did you just say?

(Walks into a wall)

I'm sorry, what did you just say?

(Walks into a wall)

Hears 3 articles theres many more.

Last edited:
Hears 3 articles theres many more.

Man,

I gotta say thank you for the info but also fuck you because I now see yet another thing obviously fucking me over after reading your links.

Seriously though...thanks and....sigh when and where does it end????

Last edited:
Man,

I gotta say thank you for the info but also fuck you because I now see yet another think obviously fucking me over after reading your links.

Seriously though...thanks and....sigh when and where does it end????
Check out my pregnenolone thread, theres also a podcast there thats 100% worth listening too. best podcast iv listened to covering dhea/ pregnenolone

I tried DHEA a few times...you can buy it over the counter south of the border...read all of the articles stating how it was the "fountain of youth". I don't know. I have to say i really felt like crap on it. Gave me that "high estrogen" feeling, bloated, skin felt grimy, no energy...so I probably didn't need it, but it's crazy how it's included in so many over the counter supps in the states. GNC even has a vitapak that includes dhea. It's extremely cheap as well....

I see this thread is still up high..

I've been on 100 mg DHEA for a year now.... along with 150 mg synthoird, 100mg prescription TRT.. I feel so much better than I did 5 years ago..

No sides..

I get my bblood work done regularly...

Keep an eye out for hair loss as DHEA readily converts to DHT which can lead to androgenetic alopecia. Then your stuck taking minoxidil or finasteride and you don't want to mess with finasteride. That's whole other mess. If hair loss isn't a concern, or if you shave it anyway, cool. Otherwise I'd take preventive measures. I use minoxidil. It's 5% Rogaine in a foam. What I like about it is acts like mousse. Put in & slick it back twice a day. I've been on a fairly high dose HRT for years & I'm always adding to that. A couple of months a go I noticed my hairline thinning a bit. I grabbed a hand mirror to look at the back of my scalp & was horrified to find that I HAD A BALD SPOT!! A noticeable one. I'm still pissed. It's to early to report on the effectiveness of the Rogaine, as they state it takes 4 months to see growth, that is if your one of the lucky one's that it works for. Would have been nice to catch this before I was forced to increase my hat collection. Anyway, food for thought. Good luck brother..

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for hair loss as DHTA readily converts to DHT which can lead to androgenetic alopecia. Then your stuck taking minoxidil or finasteride and you don't want to mess with finasteride. That's whole other mess. If hair loss isn't a concern, or if you shave it anyway, cool. Otherwise I'd take preventive measures. I use minoxidil. It's 5% Rogaine in a foam. What I like about it is acts like mousse. Put in & slick it back twice a day. I've been on a fairly high dose HRT for years & I'm always adding to that. A couple of months a go I noticed my hairline thinning a bit. I grabbed a hand mirror to look at the back of my scalp & was horrified to find that I HAD A BALD SPOT!! A noticeable one. I'm still pissed. It's to early to report on the effectiveness of the Rogaine, as they state it takes 4 months to see growth, that is if your one of the lucky one's that it works for. Would have been nice to catch this before I was forced to increase my hat collection. Anyway, food for thought. Good luck brother..
PS.. If you can get your doc to change you from T4 to T3 you may be happier. My research showed it to be a better choice for me at the time. Might be worth a little reading.

Are you suggesting that DHEA converts to DHT? If yes please explain the mechanism of action as i highly doubt that a person on TRT and supplementing DHEA will get an increase in DHT.

DHEA is a prehormone that can "convert" to testosterone and testosterone can "convert" to DHT. BUT a TRT patient is fully shutdown so DHEA will not convert to testosterone and so also cannot then convert to DHT.

People on TRT who are deficient in DHEA will supplement to support cognitive function, metabolism and block cortisol. There is no sex hormone benefit or negative to supplementing DHEA.

"DHEA is a prehormone that can "convert" to testosterone and testosterone can "convert" to DHT".
You are correct. I should have explained more clearly.
As a HRT patient myself, I take HCG so I never shut down, therefore I assume I would be susceptible.
I've not done the research to say at what level the conversion begins or if it would be enough to have the aforementioned effect.
I now think it may be worth looking into the effects if HCG is a part of one's HRT while taking DHEA.
Also, I agree with the benefits of DHEA supplementation.
Thank you.

Keep an eye out for hair loss as DHEA readily converts to DHT which can lead to androgenetic alopecia. Then your stuck taking minoxidil or finasteride and you don't want to mess with finasteride. That's whole other mess. If hair loss isn't a concern, or if you shave it anyway, cool. Otherwise I'd take preventive measures. I use minoxidil. It's 5% Rogaine in a foam. What I like about it is acts like mousse. Put in & slick it back twice a day. I've been on a fairly high dose HRT for years & I'm always adding to that. A couple of months a go I noticed my hairline thinning a bit. I grabbed a hand mirror to look at the back of my scalp & was horrified to find that I HAD A BALD SPOT!! A noticeable one. I'm still pissed. It's to early to report on the effectiveness of the Rogaine, as they state it takes 4 months to see growth, that is if your one of the lucky one's that it works for. Would have been nice to catch this before I was forced to increase my hat collection. Anyway, food for thought. Good luck brother..

Men shave their heads..

REAL men are bald..

"DHEA is a prehormone that can "convert" to testosterone and testosterone can "convert" to DHT".
You are correct. I should have explained more clearly.
As a HRT patient myself, I take HCG so I never shut down, therefore I assume I would be susceptible.
I've not done the research to say at what level the conversion begins or if it would be enough to have the aforementioned effect.
I now think it may be worth looking into the effects if HCG is a part of one's HRT while taking DHEA.
Also, I agree with the benefits of DHEA supplementation.
Thank you.
you are correct. HCG would prevent shutdown and this would make conversion a possibility. This would also then introduce 2 factors that could cause conversion to Estrogen (DHEA and HCG).

Too complicated for me....i am happily shutdown.

This is a really good explanation of the potenial sides.

Unfortunately for me (and most people), unless you experience a fairly intense side effect all of a sudden, the sides you get are never noticed or they are attributed to something else.

For example, I have neck pain.. Didn't have it before DHEA, but it didn't start right after I started DHEA.. And I'm pretty sure it was physical exericse that caused it.. I might be wrong and it might be the DHEA. Can't be sure unless I stop the DHEA and see if the neck pain goes away.

The only other thing on the list I felt was constipation.. But I artributed it to switching to a keto type diet. KEto diets tend to have lower fibre unless you purposefully add fibre.. So when I started DHEA, I also started keto.. I learned to up my fibre pretty quick lol.. wHo knows if it was the keto or the DHEA..

My wife on the other hand can't read the side effects of a precription or even supplement or she will think she has every side effect within hours of taking the first pill lol..

I got her to try creatine for energy.. lol.. with in hours she read the side effects and complained about muscle cramping, direah, constipation, dehydration etc lol.. Just the way she is.
My dheas is 6 should I look into a prescription? Has it been beneficial for you?

Shit, my DHEAS was 2.8 the last and only time it was checked, which was two months ago, and my cortisol is right at the top of the range. I will definitely be having a chat with my naturopath about it as my mood is usually shitty & I have almost no patience for anything. I feel this could possibly be invaluable for me! I have been on doctor prescribed TRT for six years but only just hooked up with a really awesome naturopath a few months ago, she is the one that even checked my DHEA without me asking so I am pretty sure she is not going to be against treating me for it being low.

Well as some people know, my doctor left town awhile ago. I went to another doctor for a refilll of scrips and he wanted me to try not taking DHEA.. I agreed, but then shortly after continued after reading more. That doctor said if I wanted to sitll take it, he would prescribe it after I decided if I wanted to or not.. then this doctor left towen as well

My DHEA is out.. and I got a over the phone prescription renewal.. And the doctor on the phone REFUSED to prescribe me DHEA. she gave me my thyroid and test.. but said she wasn't comfortabel with DEHA ans my former doctor was considered well versed in hormones and since she is not, she wouldn't refill it.. I told her "well you say he was well versed in hormones and he had me on DHEA for 5 years, so can you not trust his judgement and justr refill the script he wrote for me??"... nope.. she wouldn't do it..

I asked how could I get my DHEA filled? Who could I talk to who would be comfortable and considered qualified? She said "no doctor in town right now is comfortable with it.. I know that for a fact"..