starting at square one at 49 - help

Bobrebooted

Trusted Member
So, I'm 10 days away from 49, and I'm looking to start working out at home. Since getting going with TRT, I'm finding for the first time in years I have my energy back and want to take advantage of it. I went from 146lb to 236lb in a 4 year period. Please note, 146 might seem low, but I'm only 5'2" which makes 236 even worse. I'm a bit of a mess, and found out through all the bloodwork I'm prediabetic. I've since brought myself down from 236 to 216 in the past 6 weeks. I overhauled how I eat and was put on Ozempic by my family doc to help with blood sugar and appetite. I'm happy, but I'd love to really step it up now.

Unfortunately my schedule doesn't really work well with going to a gym, and I know if I try to go in at 4am, it isn't gonna happen. In the future I'll probably have to bite the bullet and join one, but the long shifts I work really do make it difficult to drag myself there. So at home it is for now. I have dumbbells from 5-40, and I have plate dumbbells I can probably get to 60 with plates I have. A pull-up bar and that's about it for now.

Any helpful info or tips? I was reading that as we push into our 50's and older, we may want to take a look at exercising a bit differently. Instead of bro splits or highly specialized workouts, lean towards heavy compound exercises like squats deadlifts etc, and do less frequent full body workouts with more time to recover. I'd love any thoughts or suggestions. As my primary goal right now is to lose a shit ton of weight as that's what I need, I know I can't see myself doing obnoxiously large amounts of cardio, although the wife have gone back to walking a few km after work most days. It's relaxing and nice to get out.

Finally, I really don't have a ton of desire to spend my paycheque on supplements, but is there anything you think I should absolutely be looking into given my age/TRT use etc? I don't even take a multivitamin right now.

As always, thanks for all the help and wisdom. I have before pics but nobody but the wife wants to see that shit lol

So, I'm 10 days away from 49, and I'm looking to start working out at home. Since getting going with TRT, I'm finding for the first time in years I have my energy back and want to take advantage of it. I went from 146lb to 236lb in a 4 year period. Please note, 146 might seem low, but I'm only 5'2" which makes 236 even worse. I'm a bit of a mess, and found out through all the bloodwork I'm prediabetic. I've since brought myself down from 236 to 216 in the past 6 weeks. I overhauled how I eat and was put on Ozempic by my family doc to help with blood sugar and appetite. I'm happy, but I'd love to really step it up now.

Unfortunately my schedule doesn't really work well with going to a gym, and I know if I try to go in at 4am, it isn't gonna happen. In the future I'll probably have to bite the bullet and join one, but the long shifts I work really do make it difficult to drag myself there. So at home it is for now. I have dumbbells from 5-40, and I have plate dumbbells I can probably get to 60 with plates I have. A pull-up bar and that's about it for now.

Any helpful info or tips? I was reading that as we push into our 50's and older, we may want to take a look at exercising a bit differently. Instead of bro splits or highly specialized workouts, lean towards heavy compound exercises like squats deadlifts etc, and do less frequent full body workouts with more time to recover. I'd love any thoughts or suggestions. As my primary goal right now is to lose a shit ton of weight as that's what I need, I know I can't see myself doing obnoxiously large amounts of cardio, although the wife have gone back to walking a few km after work most days. It's relaxing and nice to get out.

Finally, I really don't have a ton of desire to spend my paycheque on supplements, but is there anything you think I should absolutely be looking into given my age/TRT use etc? I don't even take a multivitamin right now.

As always, thanks for all the help and wisdom. I have before pics but nobody but the wife wants to see that shit lol

Best advice you will get is to get one on one help
Diet is the key
On here there is a member @Funnyman that offers such a service
he has helped many on here and the cost is very resonable
Message him. You will be very happy if you engage him to help you

Ok, you want to lose weight you need to do daily cardio. I know you said you’d rather not do lots of cardio, but that is like wanting to purchase a new car, but not work more than part time, lol.

Bite the bullet. There is no magical formulas, that’s why online you see the same shit. Because it works.

I pretty much train the same as I did when I was younger, just a few more reps, so no 2-3 rep ranges anymore, and it’s more because when you injure a shoulder or what not, you don’t heal as fast as 25. But I still give it all when I train.

Best advice you will get is to get one on one help
Diet is the key
On here there is a member @Funnyman that offers such a service
he has helped many on here and the cost is very resonable
Message him. You will be very happy if you engage him to help you
I second this comment. Funnyman will get you dialed. Currently on a cutting plan with him and it is worth every Penny.