Shoulder position in bench

AmIStrongYet

Trusted Member
I've been noticing I'm having a hard time keeping my right shoulder blade depressed when I bench. Right as the bar touches my chest I feel it rotate ever so slightly out of position. Happens more if I let my arch fall at all. Not sure if it's a lack of mobility in my shoulder, or a muscle weakness that lets it move. Any ideas on what to look for that might help? I would attach a video if I had figured out how to do that yet lol. Do I need to upload it to a separate site first and link it?

imo its almost always muscle weakness.

Either one (or more) of your rotator muscles is damaged or not firing correctly. And/or an upper back issue where a muscle is not firing.

Upper Back imo being easier to remedy.

You should always warm up your rotators and your upper back/rear delts before hopping on a barbell bench. Actually Bradley Martyn has a sick video to warm up before bench press- it literally added a 25 a side to my bench press after a few weeks incorporating it

If you're not already pause all your benches in your rep ranges staying tight as you can.

Ego may take a hit but you will be benching a lot more sooner

I have found the same thing for a reasons to lengthy to detail here. I moved to the Smith Machine for Barbell flat and Incline bench. I use Dumbbells' in the sets immediately afterwards.

I have improved dramatically as a result.

Worth a shot bro!!

You should always warm up your rotators and your upper back/rear delts before hopping on a barbell bench. Actually Bradley Martyn has a sick video to warm up before bench press- it literally added a 25 a side to my bench press after a few weeks incorporating it
I typically throw in some banded face pulls and rotator warm ups before. I've also started adding scapula retractions hanging from a pull up bar and that seems to be helping a ton.

I have found the same thing for a reasons to lengthy to detail here. I moved to the Smith Machine for Barbell flat and Incline bench. I use Dumbbells' in the sets immediately afterwards.

I have improved dramatically as a result.

Worth a shot bro!!
Unfortunately I compete as a powerlifter so I have to figure out the barbell bench. Doing a lot of DB work this off season though

Keep the elbows closer to your body. More engagement of the chest and a lot less shoulders.

For years I’d keep my elbows in line with my chest as it seemed to be the right thing to do. Had an PW buddy look at my lifts and he had tuck my elbows in more. Bench went up faster then than it had in 20 years.

link please

get those lats engaged
try to bend the bar coming down pulling it into your chest if that makes sense
@3ml I think we actually agree on one thing for a change ;). Another way of accomplishing the bending the bar visual to ensure the delts and lats are fully engaged equally as tight on both sides is to squeeze the bar on both sides as hard as you fucking well can, these are not like pussy squeezes or ass squeezes (this pre activates the shoulders, rear delts humongusly ( I think that's a word), along with the lats. There should be no lagging sides then.

Last edited:
@3ml I think we actually agree on one thing for a change ;). Another way of accomplishing the bending the bar visual to ensure the delts and lats are fully engaged equally as tight on both sides is to squeeze the bar on both sides as hard as you fucking well can, these are not like pussy squeezes or ass squeezes (this pre activates the shoulders, rear delts humongusly ( I think that's a word), along with the lats. There should be no lagging sides then.
agreed sir, it's kind of a hard concept, but when you get it you get it

Reactions: PGM
It’s kind of a word lol

Reactions: PGM
I recently was told a great cue...and that's that on the way down u try to do a lat pull down type engagement and hold that as you press. Furthermore pressing ur body into the pad as opposed to pressing the bar away from u helps most people also.