Shoulder position in bench

I recently was told a great cue...and that's that on the way down u try to do a lat pull down type engagement and hold that as you press. Furthermore pressing ur body into the pad as opposed to pressing the bar away from u helps most people also.
With an activated; retracted scapula, shoulders locked in, traps flexed, all technique

Reactions: PGM
With an activated; retracted scapula, shoulders locked in, traps flexed, all technique
Retracted..AND DEPRESSED scap.

I got much more tightness once I depressed my scalp also. Not to mention it will often lower ur touch point which will cut ROM a tad.

I recently was told a great cue...and that's that on the way down u try to do a lat pull down type engagement and hold that as you press. Furthermore pressing ur body into the pad as opposed to pressing the bar away from u helps most people also.
The first part of the bench press is a pulldown and should be treated as one getting as tight at the bottom in the back shoulders arms hands. and yes you push your upper traps into the bench and your body away from the bar and that is how the bench should be taught... as pushing into the bench helps my leg drive and keeping my core and upper body tight... including my back arms shoulders .... Very good point.

Retracted..AND DEPRESSED scap.

I got much more tightness once I depressed my scalp also. Not to mention it will often lower ur touch point which will cut ROM a tad.
Retracting my scapula helps me to drive my shoulders into the sockets and down wards, protects me from injury and helps overall upper body drive... another good point.

Might be worth going to a pt and figuring out why you cannot maintain shoulder retraction. In the meantime grab a lacrosse ball, throw it on your back, lean on a wall and find which muscle is the restriction. Also YouTube Kelly starrett and smashwerx. They likely have videos to remedy your issue.

It's so unbelievably hard to try and fix a bench like that online. Your bench could be the strongest and best looking different than what you've seen before with the right eyes on it.

Post a vid of that from the side so we can see and you're gonna get the best feedback possible. It's so individual that without your body on that bench it's hard to judge. Especially even with video. Without its a bunch of people throwing darts at what works for them.

Look at Eric Spoto. His closer grip wouldn't work for many buts he's unbelievable cause he dialed in on what he needs for his body type and crushed that lift.

Post that vid so we can see your bar path and your setup and you will get advice that will directly make your buddies say wtf are you doing how'd your bench shoot up

I've actually got it sorted out for the most part. I spent a lot of time this offseason working on my upper back, and I make sure to warm up for the bench with high rep band face pulls, and band pull aparts focusing on driving my shoulders down and back with a nice long pause.