shaving

Nowadays I need something gas powered , 2 hp min. Being half Italian if I want a full body shave with any razor I have to start Monday and usually don't finished up til friday

yep I feel like Im getting robbed everytime I buy their shit lol. When you guys say soap are you talking about those shaving bars that you use a brush to lather with? Gonna try the strop on some disposable machs when I buy them next! not sure if I will get into the straight razors/safety razors again simply because the grain of my beard grows in all sort of directions and its almost impossible to not slit my throat open when trying to do my neck.

also, I see a lot of you dont shave against the grain but I find I simply cant get a close enough shave by going with & to the side of the grain. As long as the blade is super sharp I dont get bumps or ingrown hair from doing that.I will get razor burn like CRAZ though if the blade is dull, I press to hard, or my technique is bad while using a DE blade.

my DE safety razor I just bought is wilkonson sword and I think their blades suck. Feather blades are THE BEST I used to use them when I have the disposable straight edge. they are stupid sharp and stay sharp.

There is shaving soap and shaving cream. Both come in grocery store quality and high quality. I have tried both shaving soap and shaving cream in high quality brands. I prefer the high quality cream over the soap and I think begininers should go with the cream. You need to take extra time getting your soap to lather up and essentially turn to a cream when shaving. I like just opening the cream and going to town.

Everyone's hair grows different. I used to gt the WORST razor burn on the bottom half of my neck until I realized the hair grow up not down.. So when I thought I was shaving with the grain to avoid razor burn, I was actually shaving against the grain. The upper part of my neck grows down though.

When I got into high quality shaving stuff, I have had no issues shaving with or against the grain though.

I can't get a good shave if I go with the grain either, but I learned to shave twice each time I shave. First shave, I shave with the grain, then lather up again and shave against the grain. Easily the closest shave I ever have is this way. And since its a double edge razor wih high quality sutff, I never get razor burn.

I'm guessing your technique with your double edge is bad. I put no pressure on the blade what so ever.. I just barely hold the handle and let the weight of the handle do the work and the whole time I just think "just scrape the cream off" not "shave the hair off".

I'm telling you guys..

all my life it looked like a cat had attacked my neck I had razor burn so bad all the time. couldn't wear sweaters that touched my neck either. I bleed like a stuck pig everytime I shaved. I couldn't ever get a close shave.. EVER.. I tried everything the drug store sold, every disposable razor, every shaving cream etc..

Then about 7 years ago I was reading someting about double edged razors being much better for razor burn and close shaves. So I jumped in with both feet and bought the highest end shaving stuff from Trufit and Hill.. And then the nightmare that used to be shaving is now a task that I use to pamper myself with. I shaved today and truly enjoyed every minute of it..

I have Proraso at the moment? Will that suffice for the time being? My brush is also from them.

I've never tried that brand of shaving cream, but to my understanding they are just a grocery store type brand.

Your missing preshave oil and quality after shave as well!

Give it a shot with what you got, just understand its probably not going to be the quality shave like I keep referring too. Need every peice of the puzzle

I've never tried that brand of shaving cream, but to my understanding they are just a grocery store type brand.

Your missing preshave oil and quality after shave as well!

Give it a shot with what you got, just understand its probably not going to be the quality shave like I keep referring too. Need every peice of the puzzle
Yep, it's from shoppers.

I'll give it a go and report back. I dont have major issues but already enjoy shaving so would like to get into more!

EDIT: just got the pre and aftershave.

i got a bro shaver from amazon for my back hair. Chest i just trim every couple months.

sigh.... another day another razor burn... gonna let my face heal up I cant take this shit anymore lol. Goodbye gillete razors, see you again in never. Someone bought me some gel type shaving cream and I tried it today, OMFG, as soon as I put it on my face started to burn like it was acid. How the hell does this stuff sell I have no idea, its in the garbage now.. Gonna keep my wilkonson sword safety razor and buy some feather blades see if I can get the technique down properly. Gonna splurge on some of the creams/aftershaves recommended on here, god I wish I had my brothers 'problem' where his face refuses to grow facial hair even at age 21.

sigh.... another day another razor burn... gonna let my face heal up I cant take this shit anymore lol. Goodbye gillete razors, see you again in never. Someone bought me some gel type shaving cream and I tried it today, OMFG, as soon as I put it on my face started to burn like it was acid. How the hell does this stuff sell I have no idea, its in the garbage now.. Gonna keep my wilkonson sword safety razor and buy some feather blades see if I can get the technique down properly. Gonna splurge on some of the creams/aftershaves recommended on here, god I wish I had my brothers 'problem' where his face refuses to grow facial hair even at age 21.

Brother... honestly if you lived close to me I'd show you in person how to do it properly and give you some free shit lol... Not to sound gay, but I'd do it for anyone who suffered like I did

This thread actually came at the perfect time. I'm almost out of my Art of Shaving cream and have been meaning to try different blades. Usually just got the Swords from Shoppers.
I ordered the Feathers and the Taylor of Old Bond St.
I admit, I do not use a pre or post shave product. I am not a daily shaver. On shave days I usually just add some conditioner to my face in the shower. I always use a face lotion after the shower anyways and just use that after a shave.
My Gillette Slim is adjustable so I can choose the aggressiveness of the blade angle. Not sure if this would be a benefit to those just getting started.
As far as price goes, including the shave cream and blades, I can't imagine it costs $50/yr to shave. Although I get way more use of each blade than just two shaves. And the tub of cream lasts me over a year.

i looked up preshave to see the ingredients. the all were mostly castor oil and olive oil. i got olive oil so i looked up shaving with olive oil. lots of people were saying its the only way to properly shave. so i washed my face and rubbed oo on my wet face and shave with my mach 3. damn. closest shave with zero sting. got a safety shaver with variety back coming from amazon. going to save my mach 3 for my junk.

Brother... honestly if you lived close to me I'd show you in person how to do it properly and give you some free shit lol... Not to sound gay, but I'd do it for anyone who suffered like I did
I live in vancouver & no thats not gay at all you just know of the pain and suffering Im experiencing LOL I do really appreciate the offer tho(y) I mean if nobody has taught you to shave properly then you will probably develope bad habits which is what I think I have like pressing to hard, not re lathering, etc.

gonna order some DE feather blades tonight as Ive decided to keep my wilkonson sword safety razor cause it seems like you really like using them, gonna get some mach disposables for my neck area though its WAY too difficult for a safety razor

I live in vancouver & no thats not gay at all you just know of the pain and suffering Im experiencing LOL I do really appreciate the offer tho(y) I mean if nobody has taught you to shave properly then you will probably develope bad habits which is what I think I have like pressing to hard, not re lathering, etc.

gonna order some DE feather blades tonight as Ive decided to keep my wilkonson sword safety razor cause it seems like you really like using them, gonna get some mach disposables for my neck area though its WAY too difficult for a safety razor

Man, if this is the case your doing it wrong.. without a doubt a safety razor will go through thick course hair better than a mach whatever.. thnk about it a single blade with the DE vs the 3 or 4 blades trying to get through thick course hair.. There is way more pull with the multiple blade razor.

Theres somethign wrong with your technique in your neck area. Make sure your going with the grain on the first pass. Neck has is funny, in one persons neck they could have 5 sections that all grow a different direction.

Also, I think the neck is the most important area to stretch out while your shaving. Seems to cause lots of damage and razor pull if not stretched out

i looked up preshave to see the ingredients. the all were mostly castor oil and olive oil. i got olive oil so i looked up shaving with olive oil. lots of people were saying its the only way to properly shave. so i washed my face and rubbed oo on my wet face and shave with my mach 3. damn. closest shave with zero sting. got a safety shaver with variety back coming from amazon. going to save my mach 3 for my junk.

I beleive it!!!! Store bought preshave is probably well filtered and scented oil and thats it. I'd even try minerl oil.

I heard peanut butter makes excellent shaving oil.. I shit you not.. I've never tried it though.

just thought Id bump this thread one more time. Im just too excited ever since I found THESE BAD BOYS RIGHT HERE
6000199214072.jpg
was gonna pickup some mach3 but saw these instead and couldnt resist cause the price was too good, 20$ for 7 blades!

literally the best shave Ive ever had. Used aloe vera and my shitty gillette cream then continued to shave against the grain like it was a hot knife through butter, absolutely zero razor burn and face is smoother than a babies ass. Tried the safety razor but figured the direction some of my beard grows just makes it impossible to not slice my throat up.

gonna order some of the shaving cream/products mentioned in earlier posts to complete the package.

been experimenting with shaving with oil. preferred a lighter oil but the castor oil added as antiseptic thickened everything up so i went 3/4 mineral,1/4 castor. perfect. after soaping and rinsing wiskers twice with warm water, oil is all i need to shave. it lubricates and protects skin from blade. bought a 25 variety pack from amazon to find blade preference.
blade 1, mystery blade that came with razor. first shave was amazing. it felt like it wiped off the whiskers in a single pass. unfortunately the 3rd shave felt like it was ripping my face off so i changed it.
2. derby. thought id try it first as its considered best for beginners. not the closest shave. got 4 shaves out of it before it started ripping my face.
3. gillette silver blue. thought id get the lesser mentioned blades out of the way first to get a better contrast with the favored brands. excellent shaves at first and still going at shave 6. the later shaves had to go over more but thats ok. not completely dragless like blade 1 but doesnt cause any sting or irritation.
-just learned you can strop de and disposable blades to extend life. some dude showed before and after with a microscope. it works. after shave, do 5 to 10 quick reverse passes on the palm some on the inside of lower arm.
- i may continue editing this post as i go through the blades to keep a record for myself