Sam-e a potential alternative to NAC

Goldenrod

Staff member
I have both in my cupboard but I take Sam-e daily. I use NAC periodically.
I have posted previously about the Veterinarian use of Sam-e for multiple liver ailments and it's benefits for pain and depression. A prescription 'drug' in some countries but not in NA. I look to my vet friends because they can recommend a lot that a MD is not supposed to. Most MD's are not educated in supplements.

The main use of NAC is for Tylenol toxicity. There are other potent alternatives but I was curious if Sam-e was ever used in this manner as well. I found one study, albeit small, and it was an effective alternative to NAC. Keep in mind I am neither a scientist of doctor but one of the main reasons for liver injury is glutathione being depleted and theoretically Sam-e should do well in this regard. If you liver is stressed, I include Sam-e as one of the top remedies.

Sam-e is expensive in Canada but can be purchased in the US for a fraction of the cost.
More food for thought.

Good info.
Question. Father in law was having some issues so doctors ran more blood. Wife showed me the results as his ALT was 93 and AST was 113. These numbers seem really high to me and the doctors are going to ultrasound his liver.
Wife was asking me what supps would be a good idea to give her father?
He has never drank or smoked and is a little fat but nothing crazy. Had issues with bp and is on medication for it.

Good info.
Question. Father in law was having some issues so doctors ran more blood. Wife showed me the results as his ALT was 93 and AST was 113. These numbers seem really high to me and the doctors are going to ultrasound his liver.
Wife was asking me what supps would be a good idea to give her father?
He has never drank or smoked and is a little fat but nothing crazy. Had issues with bp and is on medication for it.
Hey @storman - I had much higher liver enzymes when I had mono which is the virus that damaged my liver. They did the same - repeated the blood work, ordered an ultrasound and sent me to a gastroenterologist who watched me until it came back to normal. Al ultrasound is a great diagnostic tool for liver issues but I hope they are monitoring his liver enzymes to see if they are going up or down.
It took months and left me with mild damage.

Some medication like statins can be very hard on the liver, is he on that type of medication/any other meds? Any chance he takes a lot of tylenol? As I said earlier - not a doctor but I have read a lot on liver issues as I lived with and healed my fatty liver.

If you can afford it, there is no supplement I would take over Sam-e. 800 mg minimum and up to 1600 mg a day in divided dosages. 400 mg per dosage. Phosphatidyl Choline is a great supplement and relatively inexpensive. I typically take 420 mg AM and PM but you can double that dosage if you want. NAC is another great product for your liver.
NF's theracurmin is good for inflammation and did well in a study with elevated liver enzymes. Alpha Lipoic Acid has a long history of being used for liver ailments.
There are dozens of herbs/supplements out there for your liver and if I was your Father in Law I would pick 2-3 and take them for a month (Sam-e and PC being two I would reach for first) and retest my enzymes. I used to pay for my own liver tests when I was testing supplements.

If you can get your hands on pure BPC157 there is a fair amount of evidence it protects your organs and it lowered all my enzymes and in particular my GGT numbers. Not sure how your father in law feels about trying a peptide and injecting himself daily with a slin pin.

Feel free to PM me if you wish and I will be happy to share what worked for me and other family members who had elevated liver enzymes from medications.

I have bought sam-e recently and I was told particularly not to take it because of my father. When he took sam-e for some reason it affected his memory? He sit at his own mother’s funeral without knowing where he was 🤷‍♀️

I have bought sam-e recently and I was told particularly not to take it because of my father. When he took sam-e for some reason it affected his memory? He sit at his own mother’s funeral without knowing where he was 🤷‍♀️
Anything is possible @Annika as it is used for depression in many countries via prescription. If it impacts your brain to raise mood, it could impact memory. That being said, I don't know anyone who had negative sides with this supplement.
thanks for sharing that info.

I know hes on bp meds and has been for a couple of years now. He also abused pain meds for headaches for years and the doc knows about this. Hes no longer allowed to take them unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for me info @Goldenrod. His ultrasound is this week so this should tell us something.
Wife is concerned as she just buried her mother a few months back