Revolution Nutrition

Perhaps you should listen to your body, maybe it's trying to tell you that you don't need to force something at that time? What's the rush?

A bit off-topic, but is there real science to getting protein within within 30 mins of finishing a workout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit off-topic, but is there real science to getting protein within within 30 mins of finishing a workout?

YES!
and NO!

That is exactly what I was getting at sir. The "anabolic widow" theory has been around for a long time. You can find endless opinions being offered for and against it, I would say if one were to try to judge the current consensus it would be that it has been debunked. Why has it been debunked? Read on my friend...

Because IT DEPENDS.

This could easily turn into a pages long post but I will try to summarize my opinion in a tidy manner.

I'm not taking the easy way out by saying that. All the legit science that is out there on the subject needs to be viewed through a critical lens that takes into account the specific situation and all the variables. So many thoughts/theories that were formed back in the old days have been proven true through later scientific exploration (their is a but coming). I'd guess that way back guys noticed that they gained better if they got a bunch of protein in post workout. Makes sense to me on the surface, repair of the damage starts right away and you need protein as the material to do it.

BUT what really matters is if you have enough protein, along with the positive nitrogen balance it brings, to do the job at anytime. You are only gonna use a very small quantity per minute and having more than you need and use at any given time has no benefit. I don't need to carry a billion dollars around in my wallet if I'm only spending $100 a day. Total intake over time and always having at least the minimum you use is what's important, I do want that billion dollars available when I need it though.

So re specific situation and variables - You can cover your post workout needs with a sensible pre and intra nutrition plan. A good pre meal will still leave plenty protein circulating inside you for many hours and intra supplementation can further ensure this. I use about 10g of EAA's (NOT BCAA's) in my intra drink. Almost every one I have coached in around the last 10 years does too.

TLDR - If you have enough circulating to do the job more is not going to help, your cup runneth over. Simplest way to do that is consuming enough over a given time period to ensure the requirements are met. If gut issues or anything else are impairing your pursuit of this via your preferred method adapt by using another method. An intelligent overall diet approach covers this and I've found flavoured EAA's to be a great catch all during what would otherwise be an extended non feeding time. (not heavy on the belly IME either)

Last edited:
Perhaps you should listen to your body, maybe it's trying to tell you that you don't need to force something at that time? What's the rush?
So you're telling me all the bros at the gym telling me I must drink my protein shake immediately after working out are wrong? 😱🤣

YES!
and NO!

That is exactly what I was getting at sir. The "anabolic widow" theory has been around for a long time. You can find endless opinions being offered for and against it, I would say if one were to try to judge the current consensus it would be that it has been debunked. Why has it been debunked? Read on my friend...

Because IT DEPENDS.

This could easily turn into a pages long post but I will try to summarize my opinion in a tidy manner.

I'm not taking the easy way out by saying that. All the legit science that is out there on the subject needs to be viewed through a critical lens that takes into account the specific situation and all the variables. So many thoughts/theories that were formed back in the old days have been proven true through later scientific exploration (their is a but coming). I'd guess that way back guys noticed that they gained better if they got a bunch of protein in post workout. Makes sense to me on the surface, repair of the damage starts right away and you need protein as the material to do it.

BUT what really matters is if you have enough protein, along with the positive nitrogen balance it brings, to do the job at anytime. You are only gonna use a very small quantity per minute and having more than you need and use at any given time has no benefit. I don't need to carry a billion dollars around in my wallet if I'm only spending $100 a day. Total intake over time and always having at least the minimum you use is what's important, I do want that billion dollars available when I need it though.

So re specific situation and variables - You can cover your post workout needs with a sensible pre and intra nutrition plan. A good pre meal will still leave plenty protein circulating inside you for many hours and intra supplementation can further ensure this. I use about 10g of EAA's (NOT BCAA's in my intra drink). Almost every one I have coached in around the last 10 years does too.

TLDR - If you have enough circulating to do the job more is not going to help, your cup runneth over. Simplest way to do that is consuming enough over a given time period to ensure the requirements are met. If gut issues or anything else are impairing your pursuit of this via your preferred method adapt by using another method. An intelligent overall diet approach covers this and I've found flavoured EAA's to be a great catch all during what would otherwise be an extended non feeding time. (not heavy on the belly IME either)

Thanks for the detailed answer here! Makes sense what you’re saying.

Isolate is gtg but the “genius” bcaa/ nootropics drink in the cherry flavour tastes like cat piss

canadian protein is still my number 1

The iso splash peach is a cool drink , refreshing way to get 25g of protein, but its definitely strong tasting.

I was cheap one time and bought there whey protein, tasted like shit and horrible gas from it. I should have maybe tried the isolate ...

Iv also tried there eaa and and that bulldose pre-workout stuff, and to be honest it tasted pretty cheap tasting.

Perfect sports diesel is the best iv found and actually costco has a brand thats very similer and has 35g protein per scoop, kaizen protein. Just picked it up and was good.
I used to love that kaizen protein but they must have changed their formula in the past few years because the artificial sweetener taste is just awful now

I used to love that kaizen protein but they must have changed their formula in the past few years because the artificial sweetener taste is just awful now
It all taste like shit with water💧 lol fairlife milk makes it taste better with less sugar but im on a sugar kinda free diet lol 😆 so water it is.