Recommend a basic bodybuilding program to me

Renton

Hi all,

Planning on doing my first cycle in the next few weeks and am looking for some suggestions for some basic bodybuilding programs to run while on.

Basic stats are 31, 6' feet, 180lbs, did a powerlifting meet a year and a half ago where I got a 315 squat, 405 dead and 225 bench (very average numbers). Before that I played club rugby consistently for a number of years. Training wise this year I started off working remotely with a powerlifting coach for three months before gyms closed and since then have been doing what I can at home with dumbbells and bodyweight. Glad that gyms have re-opened now so that there are more options with training.

Any input is appreciated.

What are you trying to achieve ? Bulk up, Lean out ? What are you planning to run ? How do you feel about naked massages ?

You should sort out your training before running a cycle as your first cycle only happens once.
You told me I was special and I was the only one you offered naked massages to... I’m hurt

To answer @Renton i suggest getting a good split going before running gear.

no amount of gear will give you results if your diet and training is garbage.

joe Bennett (Hypertrophy coach) has a great app at 10$ a month different splits diet advice all kinds of shit.

but really everyone’s different one split may work better than others for you. Figure that out first

I started lifting when I Was 16, trying all kinds of programs and nothing worked.. I copied other guys in the gym who had more developement.. nothing...

Came across this program in Iron man magazine and ordered it. I followed it to a fucking T including the diet (their sample diet matched my body weight so I didnt' adjust it).

I shit you not, I piled on a fuck load of muscle when I did that program... To this day I still use the principals of the very same program over 20 years later and the principals still work..

I'll add to what I said...

99.99% of the guys in the gym would be decades ahead of where they are if they followed the program and its prinicpals.. but most guys haven't a clue what they are doign in the gym

Doggcrapp. No program can touch this as far as I'm concerned. I wont train any other way. Ive spent 16 years or so trying out multiple methods of training and I will use nothing but DC from now on.

What are you trying to achieve ? Bulk up, Lean out ? What are you planning to run ? How do you feel about naked massages ?

You should sort out your training before running a cycle as your first cycle only happens once.
LMAO - stop hitting on the members your perv lol.

Hi all,

Planning on doing my first cycle in the next few weeks and am looking for some suggestions for some basic bodybuilding programs to run while on.

Basic stats are 31, 6' feet, 180lbs, did a powerlifting meet a year and a half ago where I got a 315 squat, 405 dead and 225 bench (very average numbers). Before that I played club rugby consistently for a number of years. Training wise this year I started off working remotely with a powerlifting coach for three months before gyms closed and since then have been doing what I can at home with dumbbells and bodyweight. Glad that gyms have re-opened now so that there are more options with training.

Any input is appreciated.
I really like the push/pull/legs/off/repeat. I train chest/shoulders/triceps, back and biceps and forearms, legs, usually three days on and one off or two days on and one off if feeling worn down.
I don't do a lot of sets, warm up with moderate weight (3-4 sets) and 3-4 working sets per body part but I make those working sets count. More sets for chest, back and legs, and less for smaller muscle groups.

I like full body every other day but it can be too much to recover from unless you're on top of your sleep and food.

Any of the training recommendations made so far would work. My advice, pick one and run it for at least 4 weeks before you go on gear. Consider this, you haven't done any heavy lifting for the past few month since the pandemic started. Just getting back in the gym with a decent program should make a difference in your physique if your consistent and your nutrition is in check. You don't need gear for this and in my opinion would be a waste. Hell, there's going to be a lot of people who are going to hurt themselves just going back in and not taking a little time to ramp things up since they've done next to nothing for 5 months.

After 4 weeks it's your decision - hey I'm making decent progress let's stick with this for a little longer or let's get my first cycle in and accelerate things. I can totally understand someone staring at there first stack of gear and wanting to hit it ASAP, but take it from an old timer, that first run can be golden so make the most of it.

Best of luck!

So your 31, 6ft and 180lbs and your goal is bodybuilding. Your not very old so you should be able to train with significant intensity and increase the loads you lift quite quickly over time. Where you are 6 ft and a 180lbs I would definitely say you would want to put some slabs of muscle on and get your weight up, as I am 6 ft and at 210lb I was pretty shredded for my first BB show. I like the '7 sacred rules' on page 14-15 of @animal-inside posted link of '10 week size surge booklet' however I would modify them to meet my objectives and what works for me. So below are the 7 sacred rules that I developed that work well for me. If you don't like them then change them to suit your needs ... maybe use the ones in the article. Anyway have fun

7 Sacred Rules for Packing On Muscle Weight

1) Eat when your hungry until you are full then stop, when I was training hard I was always hungry so I constantly snacked. (Eat low glycemic foods with adequate protein, best for muscular gains and fat burning)
2) Centre your bodybuilding program around big compound movements, such as squats and presses. You should strive for maximum efficiency of effort, or to work as many muscle groups as possible with as few sets as possible. Always strive to increase your poundages for a certain exercise within a certain rep range. My rep range was always 3 -5. So If I was doing a certain weight and my reps popped up say to 7 -10 I would add weight to bring it back down. Increased strength equates to increased size
3) Don't do to many sets at any workout-and less is usually better. Train with high intensity until you are very sore in the areas that you are focusing on and then stop. No need to continue when you have already destroyed your muscles.
4) Don't train when everything is real sore. Take a day to recover. My moto is train what isn't real sore and when everything is sore take a day or 2 to grow. Its the eating, resting and recovering that assists in growth.
5) Have a preworkout drink or a carb booster prior to working out as it raises the level of intensity of your workout. Have a protein drink immediately after every training session to feed the muscles after they have been depleted.
6) See number 4
7) Rest and relax as much as you can when your not training. Going for a five mile run or playing touch football with the boys for 2 hours will not help your bodybuilding goals. I would not give up all of this though ... gotta have some fun

Using gear that is a personal choice. You have done some training so I would not call you a novice. Educate yourself on the use and effects of gear, read some of the threads on this forums and make your decision. What I did when I started was to start on a small amount of test e (250mg a week) for a 4 week period to see if my strength went up and it did, so I went to 500mg and I found I got a further boost but not as much as the first 250mg a week. I was just trying to increase strength and power... was not trying to stay dry or anything like that. I stayed on that for the last 12 weeks of a 16 week cycle then came off. It wasn't until I started training for competitions that I started adding in a lot of other stuff.

Appreciate all the advice from everyone here! I'll get used to having access to proper weights for the next 4 weeks and revisit the cycle then.