psoas problems?

Ridgeback

Trusted Member
i hope i spelled this correctly, has anyone had to deal with this lower back and groin pain? need help!!

Yes a very common jiujitsu injury. Is the psoas inflamed and pressing on the sciatic nerve or just groin and lower back?

On the corner of the kitchen counter or other firm surface, put the injured leg in the pigeon pose up on the counter with the other thigh hanging straight down perpendicular to the floor. Slowly lean forward with back straight not curved hold for 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes a very common jiujitsu injury. Is the psoas inflamed and pressing on the sciatic nerve or just groin and lower back?

On the corner of the kitchen counter or other firm surface, put the injured leg in the pigeon pose up on the counter with the other thigh hanging straight down perpendicular to the floor. Slowly lean forward with back straight not curved hold for 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it feels like sciatica and definitely lower back and deep in the glute muscle.

i will try this stretch but I have been stretching a lot and my right leg hamstring is locked right up!!

let ya know how Im feeling tomorrow ,thanks!

Lacrosse ball, roll it in the effected area. I put the ball in a sock and lean agai st the wall at first then move to the floor later when it becomes less painful.
Oh and Oldguyjuijitsu’s advice is perfect.

In general, your post has very little information for an assessment (when did this start? What triggered it? What casues the pain now? What makes it better? What have you tried in the past? Is it generall getting worse or better? How is it impacting your life [sleep? exercise? job?]??

However, for MOST musculoskeletal pains, physiotherapy, time and OTC pain management (tylenol, advil) works well.
But again, theres little information here. If the pain isnt getting better. or your uncertain of whats going on, see your family doctor for a proper history and physical. You can get an Rx for Physiotherapy if that would help.

PA

yes it feels like sciatica and definitely lower back and deep in the glute muscle.

i will try this stretch but I have been stretching a lot and my right leg hamstring is locked right up!!

let ya know how Im feeling tomorrow ,thanks!
So how is it going?

So how is it going?
In general, your post has very little information for an assessment (when did this start? What triggered it? What casues the pain now? What makes it better? What have you tried in the past? Is it generall getting worse or better? How is it impacting your life [sleep? exercise? job?]??

However, for MOST musculoskeletal pains, physiotherapy, time and OTC pain management (tylenol, advil) works well.
But again, theres little information here. If the pain isnt getting better. or your uncertain of whats going on, see your family doctor for a proper history and physical. You can get an Rx for Physiotherapy if that would help.

PA
Hi Peter,

old injury that reoccurs every couple years, I haven't been able to train for a few months so muscle atrophy is a big problem right now, was snow blowing the driveway a few weeks ago and took a spill on my hip again, I know it is sciatica, bith hams and quad on right side are ceased up, Im doing lots of stretches but just doesn't seem to help with pain management. My pain is chronic, much like a tooth ache but in my lower back and hip joint.

I can't move around very well right now, getting out of bed is a chore in the morning, sometimes the pain goes away completly for 1/2 hour and then comes back and puts me on all 4's.

I did invest in a percussion massage gun and that has helped a lot to get into the deep fascia muscle and tendon spots on the groan area, quads and hammies.

with covid 19 here, no massage therapy, no chiropractor, no acupuncture or physiotherapy in the city I live are open and doctors office is only done virtually.

emergency room at our hospital is arrival by ambulance only, its a shit show here right now so I've been taking Robaxacete and it seems to help but the massage gun is a life saver, Im getting back a lot of mobility after using this tool!

So how is it going?
hey brother!

doing lots of stretching, your ball trick seems to help, I ordered a percussion massage gun off Amazon and its a game changer.

pain last week was 10/10

today after pounding my quad and hamstrings seems to be much better! pain = 6/10

everything is on lockdown here in N Alberta so no access to chiropractor/massage/acupuncture etc

sitting on hard flat surfaces I find are best for my sciatic pain

heat seems to aggravate the pain......... should I be icing this area???

I did read your healing protocol on the herniated disc thread from a few weeks back, sounds like you are a seasoned vet in this ailment !!

Cheers!
Ridgeback

So how is it going?

1-2 ice the back to reduce pain during the day. Heat to sleep for a bit at night. If heat increases pain, only Ice
Decline bench traction, once maybe twice a day, roll off the bench, don’t do a sit up, well you likely cants anyways. I had to roll painfully to get on the bench.
Lay on stomach, prop up on elbows if you can get that high, 1-2 min every hour, if you can. If it gets more agrivated, reduce frequency.
Very light stretching, like barely stretching, nothing that causes too much pain, avoid arching bending over. Keep your back straight or arched back, bend at the hips, knees keep your back upright.

3-6
As the initial pain starts to subside, start to do the cat/camel.
Keep doing above exercises.
Start adding in Mackenzie exercises, if you havnt already and had success.
Keep using ice and heat.
Use nerve flossing exercises, sparingly.

After week 6 you should be much better. Start to foam roll your gluten, or better yet, get light/med massage therapy on your glute. Or use a lacrosse ball. I put it in a sock and roll on the wall.
Keep doing all the above exercises.

I found this to be interesting, can you elaborate on the CAt/camel stretch and the Mackenzie exercises please?

ok I just googled all of those stretches / exercises and wondering if I should be incorporating them into my routine now?

ok I just googled all of those stretches / exercises and wondering if I should be incorporating them into my routine now?
Yes.
Incorporate everything I posted in my older posts.
It will take time.
Start a pain journal. This way you can track what is working and what isn’t.
Don’t do one type of stretch one day, then say, it didn’t work, and stop. It takes time. I would try something for a week and evaluate. Mind you this is different if it increases the pain drastically.

Addin in deca or gh will not help. Gh will aggravate the issue because it will create intramuscular water retention and the nerve will become even more trapped.

It’s a slow process, and you may realize that the most you may get us controlling the injury, but not getting rid of it completely.

It’s a slow process, and you may realize that the most you may get us controlling the injury, but not getting rid of it completely.

Stretching has been going good, last two days when waking up I notice a much better range of motion.

Ice has helped big time.

the percussion massage gun is a life saver.

I have been able to go most of the day without taking Robaxacete but did find an old prescription of toradol and that is way better that the Robax.

I managed to borrow an inversion table from my friend so going to see if this helps as well.

Keep ya posted!

Don't go too inverted, like 30% is good enough and no more then 3 min at first. If it hurts right away, DO NOT CONTINUE. You will fuck yourself up. It may feel a bit tight, a little bit of echoing like pain but relax and the muscle will relax and that will help.
If the pain is fairly intense, then stop and go back up to normal slowly.

Btw always go back to normal direction slowly, so the nerves don't freak out and cramp you up again after a load is placed on them.

If you think you still may have a bulged disc, then pumping the disk is good as well. So invert for like 3 seconds, go back up for 3 seconds, do that for like 5 min. by theory it is supposed to pull fluid into the disc for healing. That I used to do before bed, so I wasn't standing or sitting and squeezing out the nutrients I just introduced.

ok.... so did manage to get x rays done, and found a physio doc in town that has accepted me as an emergency patient.

x rays came back with not much to worry about but doc did say that I have a very mild case of Osteoarthritis in my hip joint and low back, most likely from a tibia and fibula break 25 years ago.

Brad&Bob stretches and exercises are working amazing, thanks for that recommendation,cant remember if it was Sorbate or Goldenrod that suggested these fellas but they are quite comical in their delivery!

after doing my stretches yesterday, I was doing some leg swings and something released in my hip joint and my pain went from a 6 1/2 to a 3 instantly!

woke up this morning and I'm about a 5 on the 10 scale but once I stretch and do the exercises I imagine it will subside back to a 3/10 for pain.

things are recovering more quickly than I imagined!!

Not to steal the thread but ive started to have lower back pain, top of my glutes get really sore (inflamed) and my right nut hurts. Pain also on the right side of my pubic bone. Could this be what you guys are talking about?

Not to steal the thread but ive started to have lower back pain, top of my glutes get really sore (inflamed) and my right nut hurts. Pain also on the right side of my pubic bone. Could this be what you guys are talking about?

Sounds exact same as mine! stretching, percussion massage gun and ice have been great for me, Sorbates post above is really good for the healing protocol, at least for me so far.

I have one more video I will try and post that has 2 exercises on it that helped me big time yesterday, I suggest you try them.