Protein powder effect on blood sugar

protien powder which uses the right sweetners shouldn't raise blood glucose.
no. i dont think so. protien powder alone will raise blood sugar on keto. its been too long but there was a report circulating the forums confirming this. when @bebeav did that breakfast comparison, i had significant fat. i think to do this test you have to add fat to the protein drink.

i might have missed something reading this thread but i didnt see anything about fat. are you taking your protein shakes with a fat added? if doing keto without enough fat, you will get gluconeogenesis. could that not have given you a reading?
That's a thing i need to try.
For the moment, no fat added to my shake, but i do eat almond or peacan at the same time, but that may be not enough to slower protein ingestion. Trying to find to best protein that suit me and then i'm gonna add MCT oil to it and see what's the outcome.

Jus to try it, tomorow i'm gonna have a shake with CP whey + MCT oil and will see the result.

I am not eating sugar until the next time I decide to have a bit of a cheat meal. But when I do, I'll try to remember to take my blood sugars. Sicne your type 1, we will respond quite differently. It also depends on what stage of type 2 someone is at with how they respond to sugars.

I do have some canada protien misceuar casien at my house. I don't like it because it turns to glue unless you use a LOT of water with it. But I'll try it out and test the blood sugars. I might have time to do it later tonight actually.

The Canada protien isolate is a lot sweeter then their miscellar casein.. So I wouldn't expect a big difference in how much they raise blood sugars.

Like I said earlier I think its very dependant person to person with how much protien it takes and how their receptors/insulin responds for how they go into glucogenisis. I'd be really interested in finding a way to test for glucogeneiss. Be good to know the magical number for protien per meal you can have without it converting.

My doctor was very clear with me ssying I would never have to deal with glucogensis because my blood sugars are simply too high for my body to go into a mode to convert protien through glucogensis. He coudl be wrong, who knows.. But you being a type 1 woudl probably have to worry about glucogenissi because your blood sugars would drop easily below the level your body wants because of your type 1.

I'm sure you're right about the fact that we all react differently.
From what i'm seeing, having over 40g of pretein in my complete meal tend to trigger higher blood sugar after meal.

Something to test glucogenesis would be great. I think i read something about an elevation of ''XXX'' in the urine. Will need to dig deeper

Jus to try it, tomorow i'm gonna have a shake with CP whey + MCT oil and will see the result.

The fat will slow things down and not raise blood sugars as much..

since your working with funnyman, I'm sure he's mentioned to read the Aitkins diet book.. good for learning about blodo sugars

ya, i think that would be what you got to do. just some plain whey to test baseline
Plain whey baseline, is what i tested first.
Nothing else with it, when i did my blood sugar test picture

Right now, i'm having a scoop of CP whey with 10ml MCT oil, update in 45min

Canadian Protein Whey Vanilla (30g serv size, 2g carbs - 2.5g fats - 24g prot) 1 scoop result in a 4.5 mmol/l rise so at least 20g carbs here also
View attachment 10535

Ok, so nothing has change.
30g serv of CP Whey + 10g MCT oil (sshould add 10g fats)

First Blood sugar with empty stomach 6.1nmol and 1 hour later after my shake, i'm hitting 10.1nmol
20210118_083502.jpg20210118_083403.jpg

Last edited:
And by the time i wrote this, i'm now at 10.5nmol so a 4.4 nmol rise instead of 4.5nmol last time

Kaizen makes a great protein powder, Kaizen Naturals, no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors, From grass fed cows.
2 g of sugar in a 25 g serving. No gut issues and keeps my glucose spikes right down. I also test my blood with different foods, and supplements.

Kaizen makes a great protein powder, Kaizen Naturals, no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors, From grass fed cows.
2 g of sugar in a 25 g serving. No gut issues and keeps my glucose spikes right down. I also test my blood with different foods, and supplements.
Oh interesting, gonna order a tub soon!!
Thx

A lot of them have maltodextrin in there too. I was fine using Revolution Nutrition and Rivalus. I only used a half scoop and made up the rest with other protein sources though. It bumped my glucose up but never enough to affect my ketones.

Not yet but it's on our list of proteins to try when we get low. So is the egg protein by Gaspari. I'm not on keto year round but my wife has been keto for a few years now so we're always looking out for new products to try that will give even more options. Not that we feel restricted on keto at all but it's nice to have a selection lol

For people on a ketogenic diet it can sometimes cause issues with blood sugar. We use monk fruit sweetener for most of our keto (and even non keto) baking.