Problems growing my chest!

What are your thoughts on calisthenics for warming up or is that the same as light sets?
I am of the mind if you like calisthenics for warming up then do that. Its all about getting blood flowing into the area your going to work hard and then going that exercise, how you warm up is totally up to you as long as you enjoy it. What ever works for you

Try doing lots of dips, but go really deep.

Damn dude. You nailed it. Bend forward, go deep and don’t come all the way up. When you come up about 3 quarters of the way squeeze your chest and go back down. I did this for months and eventually worked my way up to using a few plates hanging around my waste between my knees. It blew up my chest especially the lower section. I miss this exercise the most, can’t do it bow due to shoulder and elbow injuries

That and heavy, heavy low reps, long rests between sets on flat and incline once a week only

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice Novitec, I think you're spot on with to much weight. I'm going to lower the weight work on for and use those tips you have mentioned. Again thanks so much for the advice its is greatly appreciated.
A trick that helped me grow my chest over the years... Every 3rd chest day or so... do flys first then cable cross overs.. then do your presses...
Obviously you will have to go a lot lighter then normal... really concentrate on the pec contraction.
Pre-exhausting the pecs really shocks you body.

Also don't forget to add db pull-overs every chest day... imo one of the best chest exercises for adding size...
Again not too heavy.... but as heavy as good form will allow.
That one you really need to focus on the mind-muscle connection.
It can become a back exercise in a hurry, if you don't focus.

I didn't read each response so if this has been stated - apologies.
Since everyone is different, you have to figure out what exercises your body responds best to, do you grow better with low reps/high weight or higher reps/lower weight or a combo.
Some exercises that have not only increased by benching ability but grew my upper chest and triceps were one arm floor presses with dumbbells. I use a lighter weight and go to failure for at least 2 sets, 2 hard/heavier sets and 2 warm up sets. Strangely enough pushups work well for me because I can do them on my knuckles and different hand positions uses different muscles in the chest. This is also a high rep exercise but my heavy lifting days are behind me. If I want a heavy push up day I get my wife to lay on my back as she weights half my total weight.
I am not much for machines, never have been and prefer free weights. I usually end with a squeeze exercise - flies for example.
you can do push ups with your legs raised to hit upper chest or low for lower chest but for lower chest, you have to get additional weight on your back or you end up doing sets of 25-50 reps.

Chest is a muscle you have to visualize and squeeze while training. Form is just as important as the exercise/weight. I read @Novitec 's comments and he is bang on.

I've always liked to superset flies and presses. In that order. So typically I do dumbbells for both, 4 or 5 sets of incline flies superseted with incline DB presses then do 4-5 sets of flat bench flies followed by flat bench DB presses. When you are doing the flies dont raise your hands so far in front of you that tension comes off the chest. The same with the presses dont fully lock out the presses so that your chest is always under tension. I find that it works really well.

I never really did anything fancy for chest. Flat bench press, dumbbell press flat or slight incline and weighted dips. Thats it

I've always liked to superset flies and presses. In that order. So typically I do dumbbells for both, 4 or 5 sets of incline flies superseted with incline DB presses then do 4-5 sets of flat bench flies followed by flat bench DB presses. When you are doing the flies dont raise your hands so far in front of you that tension comes off the chest. The same with the presses dont fully lock out the presses so that your chest is always under tension. I find that it works really well.
Like that in the decline position.Twice as many pressing reps.

Using a set of rings in the cage,both dips and pressing,will force your pecs to engage,they have no choice.Use band assist if you are a heavy guy.