Price per lb?

Treneth

Trusted Member
What are you guys paying these days for just some plain old steel 1inch plates? Been many years but I want to say I paid a buck a pound for all the plates I have now.
I was cruising around looking at used and everybody is asking 2+bucks per lb, are they insane? Or is that what prices are really at now?

2.83/lb was my last purchase and that’s fairly cheap for immediately available weight in Alberta from what I can tell. Thanks Covid

Fuck me our dollar sure doesn't go far these days.... I'm never going to be able to retire.

Fuck me our dollar sure doesn't go far these days.... I'm never going to be able to retire.
Right! A few years back I was going to build a home gym and it was 1-1.5$/lb for plates
Now with Covid it’s gone through the roof and you can’t even inquire about anything on kijiji
By the time you ask the question they are sold so you just gotta throw your money at them and hope for the best.

What are you guys paying these days for just some plain old steel 1inch plates? Been many years but I want to say I paid a buck a pound for all the plates I have now.
I was cruising around looking at used and everybody is asking 2+bucks per lb, are they insane? Or is that what prices are really at now?

Last time I bought plates I bought over 1k of Olympic plates, dumbbells, lots of bars, bench press, lat pull down and a lot more for a case of beer

Last time I bought plates I bought over 1k of Olympic plates, dumbbells, lots of bars, bench press, lat pull down and a lot more for a case of beer
Shit will be that cheap again soon, once everyone is allowed to leave and stop giving a fuck about lifting at home there will be piles of good plates and systems on the market for pennies on the dollar!

Shit will be that cheap again soon, once everyone is allowed to leave and stop giving a fuck about lifting at home there will be piles of good plates and systems on the market for pennies on the dollar!
Yep, then I’ll add on, I’d like a smith machine. I’ll have my garage completed by then, floor epoxied and so on.

Yep, then I’ll add on, I’d like a smith machine. I’ll have my garage completed by then, floor epoxied and so on.
I already told the wife we should be looking at garage packages right now so we have the room for a commercial gym in our back yard next year lol.

Looks like I'm stealing chains from work I can't justify the cost right now.
Curious what some of you have thrown together for poor man's resistance, I can get lead strips and a box of it weighs probably 50lbs can shape the lead to fit right onto my barbell.

I already told the wife we should be looking at garage packages right now so we have the room for a commercial gym in our back yard next year lol.
That is a great idea.
I already have a huge really well built machine taking up 1/2 my garage and then a treadmill and elliptical.
I drive new vehicles so no worries about doing repairs. My house is pretty much completely renovated.
I built a huge shed down the ones side of my house, like 7’x25’ and another 8x10 in the corner.
I want to build a custom shed for my bike beside the garage, then instead of storing it in my work storage shed in the winter, I could just leave it there.
Then the whole garage will be gym, I’ll still have cupboards for storage, my 63” tv hung on the wall and I’ll put in a better stereo system. Told my wife, one high table and 4 high chairs and it will be like the protien bar at the gym, except we will drink alcohol there, lol. Nice thing about the garage, if we have company that smokes, open the door, who cares. I’m going so overboard stupid, that I’m even doing an open ceiling concept in my garage, with pendant lights, lol. Spray foam the roof deck.
It will be cool when I’m done. I have this tendency to over do things a bit. Happens when I’m drinking and coming up with ideas.
I already know where I’ll put the smith machine out there, lol.

Last skid was around 3.50+ per pound when factoring in freight. They were competition bumper plates though. I'm pulling the trigger on some iron soon. Looks like it won't be much cheaper.

Getting cost-effective plates that aren't manufactured in China is no easy task. Everything coming from the states regardless of the current situation has always been expensive...Eleiko expensive...

I just happened to find four 45lb cast iron Olympic plates that cost me $1.78/lb. I had to drive 100 km each way to go pick them up....so another 20 bucks in gas....they were in great shape and they were two matching pairs. Can't complain about much at that price these days.

One week before the gyms closed here in Alberta I bought a bunch of the same cast iron Olympic plates for 0.80/lb. Two weeks later I paid 1.00/lb for rubber coated Olympic plates when my gym decided it would never recover from the lockdown and they folded and sold all their equipment with members having first crack at the equipment.

Stupid pricing now but it is supply and demand which dictates the price.....

Mine are steel plates cut out in a fab shop from 1" steel. Still around 2 bucks a pound

Last edited:
That is a great idea.
I already have a huge really well built machine taking up 1/2 my garage and then a treadmill and elliptical.
I drive new vehicles so no worries about doing repairs. My house is pretty much completely renovated.
I built a huge shed down the ones side of my house, like 7’x25’ and another 8x10 in the corner.
I want to build a custom shed for my bike beside the garage, then instead of storing it in my work storage shed in the winter, I could just leave it there.
Then the whole garage will be gym, I’ll still have cupboards for storage, my 63” tv hung on the wall and I’ll put in a better stereo system. Told my wife, one high table and 4 high chairs and it will be like the protien bar at the gym, except we will drink alcohol there, lol. Nice thing about the garage, if we have company that smokes, open the door, who cares. I’m going so overboard stupid, that I’m even doing an open ceiling concept in my garage, with pendant lights, lol. Spray foam the roof deck.
It will be cool when I’m done. I have this tendency to over do things a bit. Happens when I’m drinking and coming up with ideas.
I already know where I’ll put the smith machine out there, lol.
That sounds awesome lol.
I’m the same way, if it’s worth doing it’s definitely worth over doing

Last month I scored fourteen 10lb grey plates off Craigslist and I paid $1.5 lb. I was looking for those specifically as they're oldschool and matched the rest of my setup

Not a bad price considering the demand out there, and he brought them to my work so I just consider the premium as a delivery fee.