Powerbuilding routine

John Snow

Trusted Member
So I’m looking to build strength but I don’t want to get into a full powerlifting program. I’ve heard about this thing called powerbuilding which seems to be a mix in between powerlifting and bodybuilding.

My questions are : How much volume per session since I’m trying to max out on my first big lift every session ?

Should I go with a rest day in between every session to make sure that my recovery is optimal ?

What about the smaller muscles like biceps, shoulder, triceps, abs ?

I was thinking about a routine like that :

Monday : Bench - 3 x 3-6 reps 1x 2 reps 1x RM
Close grip bench - 3x 3-6
Cable crossover ( lightweight) 3x 12-15
Triceps pushdown (lightweight) 3x 12-15

Wednesday : Deadlift - 3x3 1x2 1xRM
Barbell row - 3x5-8
Lat pulldown 3x12
Bicep curl ( lightweight) 3x12-15

Friday : high bar squat or front squat 3x3 1x2 1xRM
Leg extension 4x12 (lightweight)Slow negative
Leg curl 4x12 same thing
Goblet squat 4x12-15
Some calf exercise

Sunday: more focused on hypertrophy and volume but low intensity
Stiff leg deadlift 4x12
Hack squat 4x12
Calf
Chest press 3x12-15
Triceps pushdown 4x12-15
Seated cable row 4x12-15
Barbell biceps curl 4x12-15

I’m worrying about legs not being trained enough, I’m currently training 6 days a week with a 3 days split so everything is trained twice a week. I’m training high volume high intensity and I’m currently on 500 test - 400mg tren and 40mg tbol

I’m not naturally strong and even on gear I’m not that strong even thought I’ve been training for 7 years now. So the goal is to get stronger.

Read up on Doggcrapp training, best example of power building i know of. I as well am a PowerBuilder trained by DC for many years. Works excellent.
An old program with good explanations are cycle for pennies. Google that for a good start. Let me know if any questions.

Read up on Doggcrapp training, best example of power building i know of. I as well am a PowerBuilder trained by DC for many years. Works excellent.
An old program with good explanations are cycle for pennies. Google that for a good start. Let me know if any questions.
Thanks Iron I’ll definitely look into that

Thanks Iron I’ll definitely look into that
I used Dogg crapp for a good 6 months 10 years ago packed on a ton of size and strength gains were good as well, imo prehab is a must with this routine as it can beat your joints up pretty good

531 off season for strength or mass both in the 531 powerlifting book are good examples of a powerbuilding style routine (offseason for mass a little more so) all depends on if you want a more volume based with a strength aspect or an hit style workout

I used Dogg crapp for a good 6 months 10 years ago packed on a ton of size and strength gains were good as well, imo prehab is a must with this routine as it can beat your joints up pretty good

531 off season for strength or mass both in the 531 powerlifting book are good examples of a powerbuilding style routine (offseason for mass a little more so) all depends on if you want a more volume based with a strength aspect or an hit style workout
If you have good joints and use his pointers, ie shoulder stretches, limit flat bench etc. etc you ease into the program, 30 yrs lifting, i bet about 17-20 DC style, great joints. The program works, joint issues are typically due to cowboys and lack of understanding of the training presented and their joints will be fucked no matter what they try. It is a myth joints get hurt on DC style trng.

If you have good joints and use his pointers, ie shoulder stretches, limit flat bench etc. etc you ease into the program, 30 yrs lifting, i bet about 17-20 DC style, great joints. The program works, joint issues are typically due to cowboys and lack of understanding of the training presented and their joints will be fucked no matter what they try. It is a myth joints get hurt on DC style trng.
I already have bad joints, so I think that may have been a big part of my issue as well as being young at the time and not realizing I wasn't in fact invincible, I did follow the stretching to a T, and never had shoulder or knee issue it was always my elbows which have always been an issue for me.

To this day I have to use the theragun daily on my elbow tendons as while as icing to keep the inflammation and pain away

DC is still on of my favourite routines I have ran and I still use the extreme stretching in my routines

@Maximus14 Yes, that is normally the case with joints and issues......How does the Theragun work for you? My wife has some issues in hips and elbows...I am seeking some relief for her.

@Maximus14 Yes, that is normally the case with joints and issues......How does the Theragun work for you? My wife has some issues in hips and elbows...I am seeking some relief for her.
Honestly it's been life-changing for my tendonitis, once you find the right attachment for the area it's amazing, it hurts a lot at first but you have to just work through it

I highly recommend it, I have a cheap one from Amazon as well, which is the route id go first rather than dropping 500 on the theragun

IMO maxing out every session is a bad idea. The risk of injury will be increasingly high, especially with gear. Tendons will not follow muscle strenght.
I have absolutely no affiliation with Hybrid Performance Method but I've checked out their powerbuilding program and it looked pretty good to me.

weighted dips, pin press, 5 sets of 5reps will bring your bench up pretty fast, I’d focus on what I need to bring up first and then work on the details after my main working heavy sets... that’s about it for me. Also I’ll would bring in more carbs in for those heavy work days. For training split , find what works for you man.

As other said 5x5 and 6x6
If you are gonna do power lifter weight at body builder reps make sure you are healing properly between workouts so you don’t fuck your back and hips up.
Ronnie Coleman a prime example of what can happen with power building lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO maxing out every session is a bad idea. The risk of injury will be increasingly high, especially with gear. Tendons will not follow muscle strenght.
I have absolutely no affiliation with Hybrid Performance Method but I've checked out their powerbuilding program and it looked pretty good to me.

Solid advice , bands can help with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m looking to build strength but I don’t want to get into a full powerlifting program. I’ve heard about this thing called powerbuilding which seems to be a mix in between powerlifting and bodybuilding.

My questions are : How much volume per session since I’m trying to max out on my first big lift every session ?

Should I go with a rest day in between every session to make sure that my recovery is optimal ?

Barbell row - 3x5-8
Lat pulldown 3x12

Leg curl 4x12 same thing
Goblet squat 4x12-15
Some calf exercise

Stiff leg deadlift 4x12
Hack squat 4x12
Calf
Chest press 3x12-15
Triceps pushdown 4x12-15
Seated cable row 4x12-15

I’m worrying about legs not being trained enough, I’m currently training 6 days a week with a 3 days split so everything is trained twice a week. I’m training high volume high intensity and I’m currently on 500 test - 400mg tren and 40mg tbol

I’m not naturally strong and even on gear I’m not that strong even thought I’ve been training for 7 years now. So the goal is to get stronger.

Barbell row - 3x5-8
Lat pulldown 3x12

Leg curl 4x12 same thing
Goblet squat 4x12-15
Some calf exercise

Stiff leg deadlift 4x12
Hack squat 4x12
Calf
Chest press 3x12-15
Triceps pushdown 4x12-15
Seated cable row 4x12-15

I usually use circuits to build strength and size. I’ll do an overload, and superset it with a max strength movement, followed by the most explosive variation of the movement pattern. You’re training the same pattern with minimal rest, so you’re still getting your volume in. For ex. I’ll do a top half deadlift with 10-20% over what I can lift from the ground for 3 reps, then hit a set of heavy deadlifts for 3-5, and superset those with a broad jump as far as I can for 5 reps. Kind of like a giant drop set for a hip-hinge movement. I’ve found it works well to build size, strength, and explosively.

Some people are not going to like my reply to this however this is my approach:

I have trained for powerlifting and for bodybuilding and have done quite well at the Atlantic level
I don't believe in a standard system I believe in bodybuilding and powerlifting principles then developing your routine

Principles
1) increase weight any time you can if you can maintain a certain rep range .... mine rep range was was 2-5 large muscle groups, 5-8 smaller groups
2)rotate your exercises so you muscles don't get to use to the exercise and you start to plateau
3)instinctive principle... if a method or an exercise is giving you gains use it until it doesn't and change it, if not change it

This is what worked for me
If want the body to get strong and put on size in various area
- always try to increase amount lifted within a certain rep range ever workout, you will know if you can increase based on last work out
- powerlifting 2-5 rep range bodybuilding 5 - 8 rep range
-only use 2 exercises and kill the muscle group with these exercises, these exercises should activate all the muscle in the groups trained
-train 1 body part per work out if it is a large muscle group.... upper legs ( thighs , hams ), back, chest ( shoulders, pecs, triceps )
-the time to leave the gym is when the body part your training is screaming at you to stop and you feel you can do no more sets
-for the smaller body parts/groups I train them on one day, biceps calves, extra shoulder and tricep work
-rotate your exercises every 3 -4 weeks so you muscles don't get to use to the exercise and you start to plateau

This is what I have come up with after 40 years of training and it worked well for me.
Try to find your own method that works for you

great ref material
Wendler 531 method
Louie Simmons Method
Bodybuilding - so many you have to pick a choose advice.

Some people are not going to like my reply to this however this is my approach:

I have trained for powerlifting and for bodybuilding and have done quite well at the Atlantic level
I don't believe in a standard system I believe in bodybuilding and powerlifting principles then developing your routine

Principles
1) increase weight any time you can if you can maintain a certain rep range .... mine rep range was was 2-5 large muscle groups, 5-8 smaller groups
2)rotate your exercises so you muscles don't get to use to the exercise and you start to plateau
3)instinctive principle... if a method or an exercise is giving you gains use it until it doesn't and change it, if not change it

This is what worked for me
If want the body to get strong and put on size in various area
- always try to increase amount lifted within a certain rep range ever workout, you will know if you can increase based on last work out
- powerlifting 2-5 rep range bodybuilding 5 - 8 rep range
-only use 2 exercises and kill the muscle group with these exercises, these exercises should activate all the muscle in the groups trained
-train 1 body part per work out if it is a large muscle group.... upper legs ( thighs , hams ), back, chest ( shoulders, pecs, triceps )
-the time to leave the gym is when the body part your training is screaming at you to stop and you feel you can do no more sets
-for the smaller body parts/groups I train them on one day, biceps calves, extra shoulder and tricep work
-rotate your exercises every 3 -4 weeks so you muscles don't get to use to the exercise and you start to plateau

This is what I have come up with after 40 years of training and it worked well for me.
Try to find your own method that works for you

great ref material
Wendler 531 method
Louie Simmons Method
Bodybuilding - so many you have to pick a choose advice.
Pretty much how I train.

Reactions: PGM