Oldguyjuijitsu and Sorbates Road to 80

thanks and good for you.

Its important as we get into these years that we keep pushing to be the best version of ourselves. @Sorbate and I started this a few years ago when we were turning 50. Gave us something to motivate ourselves, have a little fun giving each other the gears and derail as much as we wanted.

Goal is not always to be the biggest jacked guy. I am a martial artist and want to be mobile, strong and athletic. I also like to look like i work out. Nothing better than my 20-30 year old students staying they want to look like me when they are 50.

I have a goal to get a little thicker and bigger arms would be nice. @Sorbate wants to be taller....we can all dream. Bwahahahahah

this is a great community to support each other in our fitness journey.
Not taller, I’d like to be 30 again and a flat stomach, lol.

Not trying to wreck the vibe, but height is the one thing I have never cared about. It has advantages and disadvantages.
Now I hated having freckles. Really hated that. In Sherwood park I was the only person in the school with freckles. I would get tormented about them. Not a lot of Irish people out there when I was young, lol.

Not taller, I’d like to be 30 again and a flat stomach, lol.

Not trying to wreck the vibe, but height is the one thing I have never cared about. It has advantages and disadvantages.
Now I hated having freckles. Really hated that. In Sherwood park I was the only person in the school with freckles. I would get tormented about them. Not a lot of Irish people out there when I was young, lol.
One of my friends is a powerlifter and 5'4. Because he is in such good shape, powerful and thick no one ever called him "small" He always tell guys that complain about being short...that height does not matter...its how big you are. If you can't get taller get way thicker.

long and lanky is great for jiu jitsu but an absolute bitch for weightlifting and filling out a frame. I got high calves, high biceps, etc. Even when i was 234lbs i still looked "thin" as i don't have full, round muscle bellies. I also talk about legs and push you on legs, because when i started lifting it was all about the upper body and my legs lagged way behind...finally i got focused and said i would do my best to balance out my legs, even though i did not think it would happen. Squats became by best and favourite exercise. Even today, i love leg day. I think i am pretty balanced now but from the side my legs don't look filled out. Like you i focus leg days on hamstrings.

I joke and tease a lot but the only goal is to be test most complete version of yourself.

PS...i am Newfie Irish...whenever i got a tan in the summer my freckles would come out like crazy.

One of my friends is a powerlifter and 5'4. Because he is in such good shape, powerful and thick no one ever called him "small" He always tell guys that complain about being short...that height does not matter...its how big you are. If you can't get taller get way thicker.

long and lanky is great for jiu jitsu but an absolute bitch for weightlifting and filling out a frame. I got high calves, high biceps, etc. Even when i was 234lbs i still looked "thin" as i don't have full, round muscle bellies. I also talk about legs and push you on legs, because when i started lifting it was all about the upper body and my legs lagged way behind...finally i got focused and said i would do my best to balance out my legs, even though i did not think it would happen. Squats became by best and favourite exercise. Even today, i love leg day. I think i am pretty balanced now but from the side my legs don't look filled out. Like you i focus leg days on hamstrings.

I joke and tease a lot but the only goal is to be test most complete version of yourself.

PS...i am Newfie Irish...whenever i got a tan in the summer my freckles would come out like crazy.
When I was young I had so many freckles.
I used to hear jokes like

Did you stand behind a screen when the birds pooped and so on.

Normally of someone tried to pick on me id go thru all the lines they would use and make fun of myself and it would take the power away from them.

My favorite to use on a taller guy if he was picking on me was.

“The human body has all the same amount of cells, what you gained in height you lost here.”

Then I would put my hand out in front of my dick to show how it was much longer, lol.

Everyone would laugh and the picking would end.

Yeah it’s tough for you tall guys to fill out. You need to be really huge to look bulky.

There was a guy in the gym decades ago, across the room barbel curling a 45 and a 25 on each side, and from a distance I couldn’t really judge his height, I was wonder how he could lift so much with his smaller arms, then he walked by and his arms were huge, but since the muscle belly was so long they didn’t bulge out in the same way as mine.

Only downside to being short when you get thick is your waist expands and you start to look like a cube. As the waist gains muscle there isn’t that longer area to spread it out so it grows outwards. Even now I only have about an inch of fat on my belly if I pinch it together, but my gut sticks out if I’m not holding it in because of the muscle. I need to retrain myself to hold it in more, like I did when I was younger. That’s why I was thinking of a waist trainer.

I gotta ask, does anyone think having too big of arms looks silly? I was thinking of discontinuing training mine for a wile and focus on the rest of my body so they looked more in proportion.

Maybe I resume training back, I haven’t trained that in like 4 years because I get so much training for it at work, and I was starting to look hunched because of my lats and lack of rear delts.
Having too big of arms is my biggest fear. I have maintained that the difference from a sexy bulky guy and a freaky bulky guy is un-proportionally big arms. But not many people agree with me lol(guys...not many guys agree with me)

@Oldguyjiujitsu
Are we still keeping this up?

I actually finally dieted. Lol.

This time last year I was 195lbs, good chunk of gut, I started to cut back about 4 weeks ago at 185, am now 174 this morning.
I have till end of feb to be 8%. I am thinking around 165 to achieve that though.

The hardest part was the feeling like I’m shrinking feeling.

My new training is going really well.
For example for chest I’ll do machine flies for 4 sets around 8 reps failure every set.
then go straight to bench and do 3 sets of drop sets, then on the last set do as many partials I can till I fail pretty much completely (well the partials get smaller because I have no spotter, don’t want to drop the bar on me, lol).

Thats it. It’s working well I’m getting stronger every other week.

All my training except legs is done similar to this.

Then 30 min of cardio a day.

Ok, I know vaping is shit, but I cannot believe the difference in my lung capacity vs when I smoked once a week. I’ve went from a 94 on the o2 machine to a 98 while resting. Cardio is so much easier. I have now cut my vaping down to half. I plan on totally quitting by the summer.

My blood pressure has drastically reduced. I was hitting 138/86 all the time, now I’m around 118/68

Talking to an online doctor next week, requesting blood work, and if all is good I’m going to ramp up from the 100 mg of test and 100 mg of primo a week I’ve been doing.

I’m thinking 500 primo/ 200 test a week till holidays.

Then back to trt.

Also squatting 245 for 12 now as well. 185lbs for straight legged deads for 12 also. Still going for 300 hopefully by the fall.

No pics till I’m ripped this time.

@Oldguyjiujitsu

This time last year I was 195lbs, good chunk of gut, I started to cut back about 4 weeks ago at 185, am now 174 this morning.
I have till end of feb to be 8%. I am thinking around 165 to achieve that though.

For example for chest I’ll do machine flies for 4 sets around 8 reps failure every set.
then go straight to bench and do 3 sets of drop sets, then on the last set do as many partials I can till I fail pretty much completely (well the partials get smaller because I have no spotter, don’t want to drop the bar on me, lol).

Ok, I know vaping is shit, but I cannot believe the difference in my lung capacity vs when I smoked once a week. I’ve went from a 94 on the o2 machine to a 98 while resting. Cardio is so much easier. I have now cut my vaping down to half. I plan on totally quitting by the summer.

My blood pressure has drastically reduced. I was hitting 138/86 all the time, now I’m around 118/68

Talking to an online doctor next week, requesting blood work, and if all is good I’m going to ramp up from the 100 mg of test and 100 mg of primo a week I’ve been doing.

Then back to trt.

Also squatting 245 for 12 now as well. 185lbs for straight legged deads for 12 also. Still going for 300 hopefully by the fall.

No way the o2 saturation 😮 f$&k!!! Heavy vaping? Like how often?

@Oldguyjiujitsu

Then back to trt.

I am in… my goal is the exact opposite of yours… We just went through an eight week house renovation we had no kitchen, so I was living off meal prep service…not eating enough

I lost 5 lbs and dropped from 190 to 185. I need to gain it all back and then some.

Pick a date in Feb and let me know…

I am in… my goal is the exact opposite of yours… We just went through an eight week house renovation we had no kitchen, so I was living off meal prep service…not eating enough

I lost 5 lbs and dropped from 190 to 185. I need to gain it all back and then some.

Pick a date in Feb and let me know…
End of the month. That's when I'll be as good as I'll be for holidays, lol
Isn't renovating fun.
My wife wants to move badly, and I just bought another cabinet for my bathroom, lol.

Last edited:
No way the o2 saturation 😮 f$&k!!! Heavy vaping? Like how often?
Only vaping 1 ml of 20 mg/ml juice a day right now. So not vaping heavy at all.
My oxygen saturation greatly increased (I am guessing about 2 months after stopping smoking) after stopping smoking cigerettes once a week. Funny part is I vape 1ml daily, not just once a week. I know its not just form cardio because I have done cardio while smoking before and it never changed.

Of course! How else will I be able to demonstrate that OGJJ on a bulk has better abs than @Sorbate on a cut!!

Stay tuned
I will really knuckle down after Christmas. I already have written out my daily diet. It’s boring, simple but it will work. I want the skin on my abs to be the same thickness as the skin on my forearms right now. Going for 8/10% bodyfat. I want to see if I can get a flat belly like I had 6 years ago.

At this moment, when I pinch the thickest part, it’s down to about 1 1/4”. I used to be able to grab a good 3”. And I am losing the internal under ab fat as well. I feel smaller though, lol.

You may have to diet a bit this time, lol.

I will really knuckle down after Christmas. I already have written out my daily diet. It’s boring, simple but it will work. I want the skin on my abs to be the same thickness as the skin on my forearms right now. Going for 8/10% bodyfat. I want to see if I can get a flat belly like I had 6 years ago.

At this moment, when I pinch the thickest part, it’s down to about 1 1/4”. I used to be able to grab a good 3”. And I am losing the internal under ab fat as well. I feel smaller though, lol.

You may have to diet a bit this time, lol.
My plan is easy….maintenance at 190lbs,my cals are 3400. During the renos, living on meal prep my cals appear to have dropped to 3200. (I was not tracking during the chaos)

I will up cals consistently to 3400 for Dec. and then up to 3500 in January.

The increase cals will all come in the form of carbohydrates and the fats in protein. E.g instead of 150 g of white rice per meal I’ll increase it to 170g. Add in more sweet potato and a little less rice. I will substitute some more chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, an extra salmon meal or two, and ribeye instead of tenderloin. Note: I keep protein at 1 g per pound of body weight so I rounded off to 200 g per day. I see no reason to change protein quantities as I increase calories.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I have abs even at high body fat levels myself and I look less fat when bulking lol. I gained over 14lbs of muscle this last bulk but it came with a lot of fat. Going to go hard and cut fast but maintain around 300grams of protein this time. I made mistakes in the past letting protein slide and I paid for it. Cutting apparently you should look better every week, every workout. It's going to be nice not having to worry about eating all the darn time.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I have abs even at high body fat levels myself and I look less fat when bulking lol. I gained over 14lbs of muscle this last bulk but it came with a lot of fat. Going to go hard and cut fast but maintain around 300grams of protein this time. I made mistakes in the past letting protein slide and I paid for it. Cutting apparently you should look better every week, every workout. It's going to be nice not having to worry about eating all the darn time.
Yeah, I am eating less and enjoying it. I have never really been a big eater, but forced myself for years. If I allowed myself I could easily go on one meal a day.

My body is the type where I get fat under my abs, as well as on top. You know like those old guys with the big round hard gut, but no fat elsewhere. So I can have good abs, but it looks like a turtle shell. My goal is to have a completely flat stomach like I did 6 years ago. It is happening slowly.

Yeah, I am eating less and enjoying it. I have never really been a big eater, but forced myself for years. If I allowed myself I could easily go on one meal a day.

My body is the type where I get fat under my abs, as well as on top. You know like those old guys with the big round hard gut, but no fat elsewhere. So I can have good abs, but it looks like a turtle shell. My goal is to have a completely flat stomach like I did 6 years ago. It is happening slowly.
Yummmy bulk… breakfasts oats, banana, blueberries, ground chicken with bone broth. Llunch rice pasta with ground bison, second lunch. chicken, rice with red peppers, snack walnuts with 90% dark chocolate, dinner lamb shawarma, saffron rice, and hummus. Second dinner, smoothie with a small bowl of potato chips.