Not the King of Exercises: Squats -Article ... The guy that wrote this article has either lost it or his ego is way to big

PGM

Trusted Member
I read this article but I really choked on it. I get it, there are other good leg excises out there for the legs but any form of squatting is king, fronts, backs, lungs, gobblets etc. To deal with what he calls leverages you do not have to do the squat the same way, or with the same weights, if your leverages are different... you can do wider or shorter stance squats with different foot angles and positions ( you can do one legged squats holding onto a support, no weights, if you want to try a hard squat). But the free form method of sitting down and getting back up is very functional and in those terms makes squatting one of the kings of exercises. the guy talks about Romanian deadlift's being better for the posterior chain than the squat, of course it can be, as it is meant to hit your posterior chain more than a squat which sits your ass down and back hitting your quads harder. Sure the author has a large upper body... but from what I can tell, not fully sure underneath his shinny silver knee length short ( you need to look at the pics in the article) I am not seeing a large amount of a leg development relative to this guys upper body ...hmmmmmm... makes you wonder. On the positive side of this article he does mention a lot of other exercises that are good to use whether they are used as assistance exercises or prime exercises in your cycle of of exercises. As we all know your prime exercise... the one you load up the most and try to increase your PR on will only work for 2 -4 weeks then you plateau and should change it out.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/not-the-king-of-exercises-squats

Last edited:
Not the King of Exercises: Squats

I read this article but I really choked on it. I get it, there are other good leg excises out there for the legs but any form of squatting is king, fronts, backs, lungs, gobblets etc. To deal with what he calls leverages you do not have to do the squat the same way, or with the same weights, if your leverages are different... you can do wider or shorter stance squats with different foot angles and positions ( you can do one legged squats holding onto a support, no weights, if you want to try a hard squat). But the free form method of sitting down and getting back up is very functional and in those terms makes squatting one of the kings of exercises. the guy talks about Romanian deadlift's being better for the posterior chain than the squat, of course it can be, as it is meant to hit your posterior chain more than a squat which sits your ass down and back hitting your quads harder. Sure the author has a large upper body... but from what I can tell, not fully sure underneath his shinny silver knee length short ( you need to look at the pics in the article) I am not seeing a large amount of a leg development relative to this guys upper body ...hmmmmmm... makes you wonder. On the positive side of this article he does mention a lot of other exercises that are good to use whether they are used as assistance exercises or prime exercises in your cycle of of exercises. As we all know your prime exercise... the one you load up the most and try to increase your PR on will only work for 2 -4 weeks then you plateau and should change it out.
link no worky for me

Not the King of Exercises: Squats

Damn dummy work for me either and I want to see his legs now, lol.

Maybe?
I thinks so, silver shorts checkout.

@pgmunn Lots of reason to choke on that article. CT seems like a good enough well intentioned fella but his credentials are severely lacking IMO. I'd trust what plenty of guys on the boards say at a comparable or better level than him.
He gets touted as an "Olympic athlete" and "competitive bodybuilder" but as far as I remember he never accomplished much of anything in either of those fields. I'm sure I've seen write ups where they say he went to the Olympics but as far as I know that's not true. He was a (Oly)weightlifter yes but barely qualified for nationals one time which is a far cry from being an "Olympic Athlete". I don't think he did well in bodybuilding at even the local ammy level either.

You'll be hard pressed to find a pic of him showing fantastic leg development, I'd love to see it if someone can find one, he's been wearing long shorts for decades.

On top of that T-Nation is full of watered down, say nothing articles from guys who are obligated to produce content for them and rememeber that site exists for the purpose of selling supplements.

Daily Ramble Over now LOL

PS - as always I welcome any factual corrections to my stated opinions, he is Canadian so maybe someone here knows him ?

His calves
I thinks so, silver shorts checkout.

@pgmunn Lots of reason to choke on that article. CT seems like a good enough well intentioned fella but his credentials are severely lacking IMO. I'd trust what plenty of guys on the boards say at a comparable or better level than him.
He gets touted as an "Olympic athlete" and "competitive bodybuilder" but as far as I remember he never accomplished much of anything in either of those fields. I'm sure I've seen write ups where they say he went to the Olympics but as far as I know that's not true. He was a (Oly)weightlifter yes but barely qualified for nationals one time which is a far cry from being an "Olympic Athlete". I don't think he did well in bodybuilding at even the local ammy level either.

You'll be hard pressed to find a pic of him showing fantastic leg development, I'd love to see it if someone can find one, he's been wearing long shorts for decades.

On top of that T-Nation is full of watered down, say nothing articles from guys who are obligated to produce content for them and rememeber that site exists for the purpose of selling supplements.

Daily Ramble Over now LOL

PS - as always I welcome any factual corrections to my stated opinions, he is Canadian so maybe someone here knows him ?
look ok. got a bit of invisible lat syndrome going on, maybe for the camera, lol

378FA977-317C-450E-BEA4-163BB12AA402.jpeg
When I read that article this is the first thing that popped into my head. Probably posted a month ago now. Is this the new trend?? Seems odd to me!

I’ll keep squating

Reactions: PGM
I currently not squatting because of a pinched nerve in the medial glute continuing to resist treatment and my will. doing a lot of heavy leg press and hack squat. Thigh extension to finish. Not getting the growth I am accustomed to.

I will be squatting again.

Reactions: PGM
View attachment 14849
When I read that article this is the first thing that popped into my head. Probably posted a month ago now. Is this the new trend?? Seems odd to me!

I’ll keep squating
I bunch of pussies that don't want to do the hard work it takes to squat, and grow an amazing lower body. Squat gives all round leg, glute ham lower back and upper back development. Just look at the olympic lifters, case closed. I do support cycling squats out for other primary lifts...and use squats as assistance exercises from time to time. But there is so much variety in squatting movements Front squats, low and high bar back squats, gobblet squats, lunges which are on legged squats, one legged squats, hack squats ... and probably many more I have. left out. Squats can be difficult when your injured, and once you hit an age where mobility screws you

Honestly, if you don't want to do squats ... don't bother. But don't complaint that your legs are small or not strong etc etc. ...Do the hard shit when your young and healthy and you will reap the benefits. I loved them. Nothing better than coming out of the hole with 550lbs on your back ... that was heavy for me :)

I currently not squatting because of a pinched nerve in the medial glute continuing to resist treatment and my will. doing a lot of heavy leg press and hack squat. Thigh extension to finish. Not getting the growth I am accustomed to.

I will be squatting again.
When your injured you gotta do what you gotta do until you heal.

I bunch of pussies that don't want to do the hard work it takes to squat, and grow an amazing lower body. Squat gives all round leg, glute ham lower back and upper back development. Just look at the olympic lifters, case closed. I do support cycling squats out for other primary lifts...and use squats as assistance exercises from time to time. But there is so much variety in squatting movements Front squats, low and high bar back squats, gobblet squats, lunges which are on legged squats, one legged squats, hack squats ... and probably many more I have. left out. Squats can be difficult when your injured, and once you hit an age where mobility screws you

Honestly, if you don't want to do squats ... don't bother. But don't complaint that your legs are small or not strong etc etc. ...Do the hard shit when your young and healthy and you will reap the benefits. I loved them. Nothing better than coming out of the hole with 550lbs on your back ... that was heavy for me :)
I completely agree with you! I was just blown away that something like that would be posted by Dave tate and the guys at elite fts

I completely agree with you! I was just blown away that something like that would be posted by Dave tate and the guys at elite fts
Was not Dave Tate or EFS that posted this, it was T-Nation's Christian Thibaudeau. EfS, Dave or Westside would never post this stuff... the back bone of their lifting is squats deads and benches

Was not Dave Tate or EFS that posted this, it was T-Nation's Christian Thibaudeau. EfS, Dave or Westside would never post this stuff... the back bone of their lifting is squats deads and benches
I’m not sure if you noticed I posted a picture of elite fts Instagram promoting to stop squating for big legs
657ED490-BF99-4BDB-8076-AA016A43C46E.jpeg

I know it’s not Dave Tate’s words it’s a columnist for etfs but still coming from a company like that surprised me

View attachment 14849

I’ll keep squating
Totally agree. I have a big ass and hips from squatting and deads and let me tell you... having power in the hips and the posterior chain of muscles have been a blessing for me. Has allowed me to do functional heavy stuff I never would have been able to do without all the training. Got my ride on lawn mower stuck in some muck, was able to jerk it out and get it unstuck and keep on mowing... would not have happened if I had not done tons of deads and squats. Can move fridges, stoves and other heavy things by myself as long as I have a trolley. Lots of benefits. I would rather have a boxy ass and power than a pretty ass and useless. IMO

I know it’s not Dave Tate’s words it’s a columnist for etfs but still coming from a company like that surprised me
West side ppl did not post that ... that is for sure. And yep I could see it coming from Thibaudeau. I am not sure if I have seen a recent article on t-nation from the westside group.