Nifty at Fifty

I didn’t stand on anything, used my arm, lol.
Lol, my dad was talking about our Bull.
He used to say shit like that all the time. Corny stuff.
You like, ‘one day son, this will all be yours’. As he spread his arms open.
Yeah i hear you, I'm a farm boy and my ol man was the same and still is....lol I wouldn't have it any other way. I just wish i could remember half his lines...

Yeah i hear you, I'm a farm boy and my ol man was the same and still is....lol I wouldn't have it any other way. I just wish i could remember half his lines...
Yeah, I never thought I’d need them.
My dad was fun to work with on the farm. You busted your ass, but he would joke around and have fun.

Now he’s turned into a bitter old man, lol

I warm up, I have never stretched and i am still very flexible at my size, and quite quick. I think it is because I keep doing the same things i have always done when younger and smaller, like rope climbing, chin ups, dips CrossFit type things at times if i feel like it. Messing with horses is a big one to keep one limber, not a Sunday ride, but Real riding and working with them and quick sprints and all that jazz.
Pushing the stubborn young ones around, they try and take charge and when breaking them it gets fun. Never a hit or yell scenario, more like long tug of wars and consistent pressure. I train with trust all my animals, not beatdowns etc....So its a hard physical work when you are 265-280 lbs....lol.
I will be getting much more into it again this summer, last summer was busy and moved new job etc. But will be doing all that again. If you stop using it you lose it, i am certain it will happen, but not going down easy. Im still a spring chicken in my head.

I do not believe aggressive stretching is any good, i am sure you don't do that stuff. Its ok to minor stretch but not beyond what you feel comfortable with.
Lots of folks debate it, but it has served me well and a few good trainers have advised me the same.
Although i was advised to not flat bench as well, i cannot go without it, and deads. Squats are not as important, i can go heavy on these and 5 plates/ side for many reps 10 + is my norm, and I have a lot more in me, but i just don't get as excited anymore with squats.

Not boasting, i am not good at much else in life other than my career....I'm a shit hockey player, shit basketball player, and probably shitty in bed, not sure why ol lady sticks around. So i get fired up writing or talking about lifting.

But i can lift shit and it gets me excited, and i feel accomplished in my head and can sit and relax and watch tv and not feel like a lazy bum after i lift.
Cutting wood, moving heavy things, Loading unloading and throwing square hay bales around etc etc. Writing about it gets me anxious. I am like a fighter going in the ring, without the antics and jumping around, more like 25 minutes before they call his name to come out. In my head and do the lift and let it go and not stand like "That Guy" for ten minutes pacing before they do a plate a side and then stare anyone in his view down...lol
Then i sit on the end of the bench, in 20 seconds or so, i am back in that zone, things pump, i can only see the back of my hands and the steel bar. There is nothing else around in my mind. I squeeze the steel and try and imprint my fingerprints into the bar, i push my feet and lock my core and try to get my shoes to enter the concrete in the floor. Then big push, and i am in heaven.

You know that feeling you get when you go to pick up a pan and think it is steel or iron, and you adjust to pick it up, and its actually aluminum? It lifts way easier than you felt it would and its a weird feeling. When i grab the bar and my first rep is like that, I get even more into it and keep going and going and feel like i gain momentum and ease as i go...That is when i am beyond heaven. I love that feeling. The gym is my church, my psychologist, my second best friend, My comfort zone and my place where i belong for 1.5 hours any given day of the week and weekend, anytime is gym time....:^)
Tonight is pizza night and a bit of junkeroonie food, tomorrow is Chest, shoulders, triceps day...So it will be good....Ultimate pump day...
Good post ... Lifting heavy always did it for me ... what is heavy for me might not be heavy for you. I loved the feeling of pacing back and forth before you do a PR... the adrenaline ... the endorphins ... the metal roaring in your ears... and when you make the lift there is nothing better than that accomplishment at that time ... cause I will quote Mark Bells video ' Never Enough'. After you lift a PR you are planning how to out do the PR you just did.

One comment on ballistic stretching ... it works for some people. Worked for me when I was in TaeKwonDo. We constantly did ballistic stretching coupled with static stretching. Within six months of joining TKD I was at a 90% full split, and the ballistic component allowed me to extend fully into an opponent causing more hurt ... especially in tournaments ... we used a lot of control in class but when tournaments came around ... there were after classes where the gloves came off. I can still spread out into a respectable split ... mind you it is only about 80% of full ... muscle memory allows me to do this as I practiced for 15 years... then the interest in powerlifting came after TKD and that was just as exciting.

I really like your post and how your passion for lifting is outstanding. I go big now and then these days but I have to watch it as it takes a lot out of me at my age ... so I train at a level that gets me the feeling I had when I was young lifting.

I am glad you have found something you love to do and gives you peace of mind. A lot of people never find that.

Yeah, I never thought I’d need them.
My dad was fun to work with on the farm. You busted your ass, but he would joke around and have fun.

Now he’s turned into a bitter old man, lol
Maybe you should find out why he is becoming a bitter old man and try to help him solve that problem or maybe reduce the bitterness. As you age sometime things like pain... that we try to hide ... will take the edge off anyone and make them somewhat bitter. No offense ... just a comment my friend :)

Maybe you should find out why he is becoming a bitter old man and try to help him solve that problem or maybe reduce the bitterness. As you age sometime things like pain... that we try to hide ... will take the edge off anyone and make them somewhat bitter. No offense ... just a comment my friend :)
He kinda pouted and retired at 45. It was way too early and he should have worked things out with his dad instead of quitting.
He kinda lost his way in life.
I don’t have the energy to fix him, plus he lives 2000 miles away.
I went to visit 2 years ago, it’s tough for me to get time off in the summer,
Second thing he asks is if I am going to live, because I must have something wrong if I came to visit.

Then he picked on everything I did. I didn’t load the dishwasher right, didn’t take the grounds out if the coffee machine right, scratched my back on the wrong corner in the house, should use a door frame.

Then he said I was too big, I should stop weight lifting and get leaner or I’ll die.

The best was, I have toenail fungus on one nail, a tiny little bit on one edge. Vic’s was getting rid of it, but discoloured the nail. Next thing I was going to kill him with my fungus. He went on and on, about how I don’t care about him, what is wrong with me, blah, blah, blah.

Truthfully it took all I could not to tell him to shut the fuck up or I was going to pound him. It was that bad, if I had drive and was closer, I would have left.

I’d bet every hour on the hour he had something to pick on.

Life’s too short to waste my time on him. I talk to him, when he gets to be too much, I say I gotta take a shit or something like that.

Him and my brother get along, he can fix him,,lol.

I didn’t take any offence btw, just the man is impossible. He wouldn’t listen to anything I’d say anyways.

He kinda pouted and retired at 45. It was way too early and he should have worked things out with his dad instead of quitting.
He kinda lost his way in life.
I don’t have the energy to fix him, plus he lives 2000 miles away.
I went to visit 2 years ago, it’s tough for me to get time off in the summer,
Second thing he asks is if I am going to live, because I must have something wrong if I came to visit.

Then he picked on everything I did. I didn’t load the dishwasher right, didn’t take the grounds out if the coffee machine right, scratched my back on the wrong corner in the house, should use a door frame.

Then he said I was too big, I should stop weight lifting and get leaner or I’ll die.

The best was, I have toenail fungus on one nail, a tiny little bit on one edge. Vic’s was getting rid of it, but discoloured the nail. Next thing I was going to kill him with my fungus. He went on and on, about how I don’t care about him, what is wrong with me, blah, blah, blah.

Truthfully it took all I could not to tell him to shut the fuck up or I was going to pound him. It was that bad, if I had drive and was closer, I would have left.

I’d bet every hour on the hour he had something to pick on.

Life’s too short to waste my time on him. I talk to him, when he gets to be too much, I say I gotta take a shit or something like that.

Him and my brother get along, he can fix him,,lol.

I didn’t take any offence btw, just the man is impossible. He wouldn’t listen to anything I’d say anyways.
Based on what your saying I would probably do the same. You can only take so much negativity in your life then you have to cut it loose to save your self. I had a similar situation happen with my mother ... everytime I visited she had these nasty things she said to me and I warned her if she didn't stop my wife and I were not going to visit anymore. So she kept it up so we stopped going to visit. So she calls and asks why we were not coming up, she never ever visited us. I told her that if she did not stop saying nasty things to me we were not coming up, that was why. She got into crying and calling me an ungrateful son so I said goodbye and hung up. We have worked it out since then, I have left though a couple of times when she let slip out some nasty insinuations. They have all stopped now. Some times you have to say enuff is enuff and shut the negativity out.

Based on what your saying I would probably do the same. You can only take so much negativity in your life then you have to cut it loose to save your self. I had a similar situation happen with my mother ... everytime I visited she had these nasty things she said to me and I warned her if she didn't stop my wife and I were not going to visit anymore. So she kept it up so we stopped going to visit. So she calls and asks why we were not coming up, she never ever visited us. I told her that if she did not stop saying nasty things to me we were not coming up, that was why. She got into crying and calling me an ungrateful son so I said goodbye and hung up. We have worked it out since then, I have left though a couple of times when she let slip out some nasty insinuations. They have all stopped now. Some times you have to say enuff is enuff and shut the negativity out.
When we were still in Edmonton and my parents still lived there, they would day come in the shop, I told my mom if Dad wasn’t a jerky then they would get the meat for free, my mom said she would come in all the time then, lol.

It’s funny though my brother tells my dad he wasn’t a good father because he wasn’t around a lot, but it was my brother hiding in the house so he didn’t have to do farm work. All you had to do was walk outside and look for the tractor and there was my dad. I spent tons of time with him.

I think my dad thinks he still needs to correct me, lol. I’m 50, do really well. I think he doesn’t need to worry anymore.
I just wish he could flip the switch and be a buddy instead of someone who needs to analyze everything I do, lol,

Reactions: PGM
When we were still in Edmonton and my parents still lived there, they would day come in the shop, I told my mom if Dad wasn’t a jerky then they would get the meat for free, my mom said she would come in all the time then, lol.

It’s funny though my brother tells my dad he wasn’t a good father because he wasn’t around a lot, but it was my brother hiding in the house so he didn’t have to do farm work. All you had to do was walk outside and look for the tractor and there was my dad. I spent tons of time with him.

I think my dad thinks he still needs to correct me, lol. I’m 50, do really well. I think he doesn’t need to worry anymore.
I just wish he could flip the switch and be a buddy instead of someone who needs to analyze everything I do, lol,
LMAO, that is so much like i wrote this above.
I as well do very well, but good ol dad still likes to throw out the critiques. My brother was a mommas boy through and through, as well hiding in the house playing Atari etc as i was out busting hump with pops. My dad was the hardest working guy i know. By far, and several friends of the family would give him the gears about my work habits, they often complained i worked like a man as a young fella. I did, but i was happy doing it. I mentioned before, i love work, i love lifting things, moving things and hands on labor.
I still do, I will say if not for my fathers pushing me, i would not be as successful as i am, with the work ethic i have, not even close.
One more thing i will say, i started to let my dads comments slide, his criticisms go by the way side. I am a stubborn sob and went years without talking to my folks. Many years. Then one day i looked in the mirror and said, you knbow what...I will not change my father, he has given me a lot, and taught me a ton, im going to let it go.
I still have a hard time at times, but i keep thinking of the good things he has done. When i stopped communications i needed to as i was still discovering myself and who i was. I was work in progress, and i could not have that negativity constant pressure.
Now my pops and i get along better, i see the positives, and remember his teachings and time we spent. He worked away in camps and ran his farm, so he was away a lot and i was the man of the house and left at 15 on my own, never borrowed 5 bucks from anyone, no joke at all, i did it on my own. 15...I look at 15 year olds today and am astounded.
Anyway, my mom called and my dad had a stroke possibly, he is going in to doc and not wanting to. Fighting it tooth and nail.
No one could make him go, you know who did?
ME, as he respects me more than anyone else in the world, and it was unbeknownst to me until a few years ago, i saw it. I did not tell him to go, i talked with him, for a long period and he hates talking on the phone.
i am so very happy i made peace with my dad, and let shit go, as i would feel forever terrible if he dies or gets disabled etc, and i was not able to mend the fences.
My mother and i still not great, but work in progress. They are in mid to late 70's. I let it go, and have found a little less anxiety and negativity after i did.
Not saying you should do any of this Sorbate, not at all. Just sharing.

And you are truly an expert derailer...lol..I didn't really pay attention to it, but heard you admit you are, now i see what you mean...I am in now, hook line and sinker contributing to the derailing process...

LOL JK , i am good with it brother in iron.

LMAO, that is so much like i wrote this above.
I as well do very well, but good ol dad still likes to throw out the critiques. My brother was a mommas boy through and through, as well hiding in the house playing Atari etc as i was out busting hump with pops. My dad was the hardest working guy i know. By far, and several friends of the family would give him the gears about my work habits, they often complained i worked like a man as a young fella. I did, but i was happy doing it. I mentioned before, i love work, i love lifting things, moving things and hands on labor.
I still do, I will say if not for my fathers pushing me, i would not be as successful as i am, with the work ethic i have, not even close.
One more thing i will say, i started to let my dads comments slide, his criticisms go by the way side. I am a stubborn sob and went years without talking to my folks. Many years. Then one day i looked in the mirror and said, you knbow what...I will not change my father, he has given me a lot, and taught me a ton, im going to let it go.
I still have a hard time at times, but i keep thinking of the good things he has done. When i stopped communications i needed to as i was still discovering myself and who i was. I was work in progress, and i could not have that negativity constant pressure.
Now my pops and i get along better, i see the positives, and remember his teachings and time we spent. He worked away in camps and ran his farm, so he was away a lot and i was the man of the house and left at 15 on my own, never borrowed 5 bucks from anyone, no joke at all, i did it on my own. 15...I look at 15 year olds today and am astounded.
Anyway, my mom called and my dad had a stroke possibly, he is going in to doc and not wanting to. Fighting it tooth and nail.
No one could make him go, you know who did?
ME, as he respects me more than anyone else in the world, and it was unbeknownst to me until a few years ago, i saw it. I did not tell him to go, i talked with him, for a long period and he hates talking on the phone.
i am so very happy i made peace with my dad, and let shit go, as i would feel forever terrible if he dies or gets disabled etc, and i was not able to mend the fences.
My mother and i still not great, but work in progress. They are in mid to late 70's. I let it go, and have found a little less anxiety and negativity after i did.
Not saying you should do any of this Sorbate, not at all. Just sharing.

And you are truly an expert derailer...lol..I didn't really pay attention to it, but heard you admit you are, now i see what you mean...I am in now, hook line and sinker contributing to the derailing process...

LOL JK , i am good with it brother in iron.
I still talk to my dad, we get along fine as long as I talk about what he thinks is right, lol.
My moms great. She was like a friend when I was growing up. I didn’t hang around the house with her, but could talk to her about anyrhing and knew I’d never be judged and if she told my dad he never said anything.

Reminds me of a story, so I bang this slut at the bar, no rubber, so I’m digging at my crotch at work, (my mom was working temporarily for me) and my mom looks at me and says,
Go to the doctor, you likely got a disease from that girl you slept with.

Anyhow I went and yeah chlamydia is what I got.

I told her and she laughed, “the way you were scratching it I figured you got something”. No big deal to her. Just like I was telling a buddy.

My mom never got old in her mind. So many times my buddies would be over, we would be priming for the bar, having a couple beer, we would make her a drink, she’d get a buzz (my dad almost never drank, like 1 beer) and she would be like, take me with you. We would be like, sure, get dressed, let’s go. Then she would say, I can’t your dad would get angry.
Then my dad would bark out of the other room, great, you going to leave and your mom is going to be drunk (she would have had one drink, maybe 2, she would only have a buzz no where near drunk, but now happy wanting to have fun, god forbid)

I have no idea why my dad became so angry all the time. About 8 years ago, realizing how I was getting angry like him decided to start letting things just slide. I didn’t want to be negative and angry all the time.

Like your dad, my dad is a hell of a worker, and is why I’m the same. I’ve even got the odd compliment from him about that. And yeah like your brother, mines lazy, lol.
I remember when I was working at his meat plant (it was huge, 400 employees) I ran the sausage kitchen. I had a bit of a drinking problem, like everyday.
So he says to me.
“As your father, I hate that you drink like this, but as your boss, even though you drag your ass the first hour, you get more work done in 6 hours than a normal person does in 8, but I still wish you’d slow down drinking , it runs in the family.”

Years later he said to me, (this was when he was working at my shop), “I see the amount of work you have to do, and think no way you are going to get it done, then somehow you get it done early. I don’t know how you do it sometimes.”

But I don’t normally overthink it. I talk to him, but am happy I’m 2000 miles away, lol.
But seriously though, I’d rather he just be my friend, I’m grown up. I’m happy with who I am, what I’ve become. I don’t need any more training, lol.

Last edited:
250 mg test per week, 300 mg primo a week, and 20-30 mg/day of var, with 10 mg-20 mg of liquid winny eod.
I use bench as my litmustest, am going to start using Bench, rows underhand grip barbells and squats as my measure of improvement.
I did 315 on bench for 13 reps unassisted and decent speed, not too fast. Momma was not there to spot me, so i was concerned of going anymore reps.
I did rows the day before with 2x 45 lb each side or 225 underhand grip for 17 reps, so i can go higher next time out, i didn't add plates for the next 2 sets as it has been awhile since I've done them.
Squats i will throw up my weight used next time, i did 315 for an easy 14 the other day, but they kind of tweak my back and hip area if i go higher weight right now. I fractured my l-5 vertebrae a few yrs ago, and it still gets me now and then, but not crippling by any means, just a small spasm for a few days.
Was doing 5 plates a side awhile ago. But again, i get pain every time after for awhile, so may switch to leg press as my measurable to measure progression.

265 still, but getting tighter for sure, growing visibly each week. So i will up my calories a tad. Possibly hit 275 before cutting in April.
Will get back down to 250-255 and quite lean, im not going for contest look, just lean and big for my nifty at fifty summer. Riding my horse and trying to look like Conan, lol and My iron horse feels awesome when i am large and in charge as its a biggish bike, so it just feels awesome. That is my only reasons for doing it.
No one i know will hardly see me without long sleeved shirts etc., even in my best shape, i am a covered up guy. I do it for me, and me alone...Always been like that.
I worked with people for 2 years and they knew i was big, but had no idea until they saw me leave the gym in a tank top on a hot summer day because i forgot my clean shirt. Then they kind of drop their jaws, and questions and roid questions or purchases, etc etc.
All annoying things to me. With my job it doesn't go over well anymore. If i have to get stern, or frustrated and need to send a message, it comes back as....OOOOOOH he's having a roid rage and a bunch of other shit I've dealt with in the past and HR complaints etc. A 150 lb guy can yell, swear and go off his rocker in a meeting, i say something sternish and serious and maybe move my arms as i talk and boom, I'm labelled intimidating. I hate it and again, cannot wait to be done with my career and DO WHAT I WANT. Wal MART STOCK SHELF GUY, SALTING THE ROADS IN TOWN FOR THE TOWN WORKS.

I DON'T CARE. in REALITY I WILL CONSULT ABIT HERE AND THERE AS I AM A maintenance AND ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL, WITH 3TRADES TICKETS AND 2 PROFESSIONAL FIELDS. sO IT WILL BE ALL GOOD, MOMMA IS A HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSIONAL AND WE TRAVEL AS A TEAM TO COMPANIES, SO WE HAVE A GOOD NAME OUT THERE AND CAN JUST GO DO STINTS HERE AND THERE.
FFS,

I hit caps lock by accident and don't look at my screen, I'm not changing the font, just know i am not yelling. Damn.

The gh hand pumps suck when writing or typing a lot, i cannot do it as i can barely close my fist right now....