Newbie to Canada and this forum

Dana Brinkley

Trusted Member
Hey all! I’ve recently moved here from Durban, South Africa. I am still trying to navigate and figure out how to properly navigate CB as I’d like to be a positive contributing member with like minded Canadians! Due to covid and the move I know very few people here. Does anyone have any advice for which gyms they prefer, in SA we only had privately owned gyms. Also, any other advice you can think of for a newcomer would be greatly, greatly appreciated! I must add that Canada is cold AF 🥶 lol. Thanks. Cheers.

Hey all! I’ve recently moved here from Durban, South Africa. I am still trying to navigate and figure out how to properly navigate CB as I’d like to be a positive contributing member with like minded Canadians! Due to covid and the move I know very few people here. Does anyone have any advice for which gyms they prefer, in SA we only had privately owned gyms. Also, any other advice you can think of for a newcomer would be greatly, greatly appreciated! I must add that Canada is cold AF 🥶 lol. Thanks. Cheers.
Yes it is cold.

Right now in SA they are just entering the summer months. My body and brain is confused 🤷🏼‍♀️
Oh it sucks, and depends on where you live it can be worse.
I’ve kinda lived in a few spots, if I wanted the best all around temperature likely Kelowna, Vernon. But it’s so overpopulated now.
Alberta, damn too cold in the winter, southern Alberta is hot and dry in the summer.
Southern Ontario is warm and humid like the tropics in the summer, but you get a ton of snow from the lake effect in the winter.
Can’t really comment about the rest, but the east coasters used to comment on how Edmontons weather was good, so I wonder what kind of shit they live in, lol.

Reactions: 3ml
Hot and humid in the summer, and wait till it snows, you can get a foot in an hour, lol.
You live in one of the warmest areas of Canada.
I have some memories from my childhood. I was born in Canada and lived here until I was 10 years old. I’ve lived all over the place between then and now lol. Someone else told me the same, southern Ontario has pretty mild winters. I’m hopeful my first winter back here is mild hah.

Depending how far from Chattem you are, you may want to find a gym there... I know there isn't much in the towns inbetween in that area... but you may find a hidden treasure...
I have never been one for the big chain gyms ... planet fitness.. fit4less.. goodlife ect ... don't get me wrong... they are good gyms.. depending what your goals/preferences are.
I prefer the old school.. iron plate.. hammer strength machines... stinky atmosphere!! Lol .. that's definitely not for everyone... but it's what me and my wife like!!

Welcome to CB

I visited PE and Grahamstown in 2014 but never got to Durban. Love the beauty of SA. Even considered going back and staying for an extended period... but not with the kiddo.

anyways.... again welcome and hope you enjoy western Ontario and the forum!

Depending how far from Chattem you are, you may want to find a gym there... I know there isn't much in the towns inbetween in that area... but you may find a hidden treasure...
I have never been one for the big chain gyms ... planet fitness.. fit4less.. goodlife ect ... don't get me wrong... they are good gyms.. depending what your goals/preferences are.
I prefer the old school.. iron plate.. hammer strength machines... stinky atmosphere!! Lol .. that's definitely not for everyone... but it's what me and my wife like!!
I 100% agree with you!!! If I could afford it I’d build a gym at home. I much prefer working out with just the basics rather than fancy equipment I don’t really know how to use lol. Thanks for the recommendation, I’m definitely going to look into it!

Welcome to CB

I visited PE and Grahamstown in 2014 but never got to Durban. Love the beauty of SA. Even considered going back and staying for an extended period... but not with the kiddo.

anyways.... again welcome and hope you enjoy western Ontario and the forum!
That’s awesome! I’m so happy you were able to witness the beauty of SA. It’s so sad that a place so beautiful can be so corrupt and dangerous. If you do decide to visit, please let me know. My entire family still lives there and 100% would be over joyed to show you around and keep you in a safe area. They love Canadians!!!!

That’s awesome! I’m so happy you were able to witness the beauty of SA. It’s so sad that a place so beautiful can be so corrupt and dangerous. If you do decide to visit, please let me know. My entire family still lives there and 100% would be over joyed to show you around and keep you in a safe area. They love Canadians!!!!
Best be answering about that PM you sent me.
I want an answer.
Or you are gonna be gone off two boards real quick