New to powerlifting

BClift91

Hello everyone, I am completely new to powerlifting but have been lifting weights for 8 years but more bodybuilding style. I have always tried to get my squat bench and deadlift form in check mostly by watching youtube videos since I dont have anyone to train with who trains seriously... I am starting my first powerlifting program, I got it from Ed Coans book "The Strength Inc Core Manual for Strength Training" I dont know how many people are familiar with the book but it works in 8 week cycles setting new PRs every 8 weeks. I am open to other beginner training programs I am wanting to focus on getting my lifts up and I would also like to get a little heavier my self I am 5'10 191lbs around 12%body fat.

Are all powerlifting competitions in BC drug tested? I tried looking online but never really got a clear answer. Please get back to me with any info thank you everyone

wk1 70% 3 x10

wk2 76% 3 x8

wk3 82% 3 x5

wk4 88% 3 x4

wk5 91% 3 x3

wk6 97% 2 x2

wk 7100% 2 x2

w8 104% 1 x1
New 1RM 1 1

Find a good powerlifting coach
There are many small tweaks to form, and bracing. Also find one that does a lot of assistance exercises and stretching. I’m in my early 40s and I thought I knew a lot until I hired a female powerlifting coach she has done wonders for my lifts and day to day mobility and back issues

thats an excellent idea! thank you for taking the time to reply.
Have you competed?

No I haven’t
I started out 20 years ago with a powerlifter as my training partner
But bodybuilding was more my thing at the time
But lately I have been more interested in strongman and powerlifting

thats awesome sounds like you have lots of experience, are you following a certain program right now? can you recommend any good ones?

thats awesome sounds like you have lots of experience, are you following a certain program right now? can you recommend any good ones?

I have one the coach designed
It’s a lot different than what you posted above
For instance you will bench 3 x a week
Different tempos and percentages. Most of the work is in the 4-5 rep range
It has worked remarkably well.

But a big part of it is all the assistance, flexibility, stability work. It seems super gay doing a lot of it at first but trust me it’s worth it

okay sweet im willing to do whatever, ill start looking for a coach thanks man

Good plan, the sooner the better. Golden opportunity here to develop perfect technique and form . Get the good reps ingrained in you right from the beginning rather than enforce the likely imperfect techniques you have now that may cost you in the future. Powerlifting is hard enough on the body when done right let alone with poor form. A proper start could extend your career by decades and spare you a ton of grief and pain.

Good Luck.

PS - if you are cool with posting up any more info about your location somebody here may be able to point you in a good direction. Don't post anything you are not comfortable having the whole world see. Maybe somebody out west will Pm you based on what you've already said.

Good plan, the sooner the better. Golden opportunity here to develop perfect technique and form . Get the good reps ingrained in you right from the beginning rather than enforce the likely imperfect techniques you have now that may cost you in the future. Powerlifting is hard enough on the body when done right let alone with poor form. A proper start could extend your career by decades and spare you a ton of grief and pain.

Good Luck.

PS - if you are cool with posting up any more info about your location somebody here may be able to point you in a good direction. Don't post anything you are not comfortable having the whole world see. Maybe somebody out west will Pm you based on what you've already said.

I am in Vancouver if anyone has any info. thanks everyone

I have one the coach designed
It’s a lot different than what you posted above
For instance you will bench 3 x a week
Different tempos and percentages. Most of the work is in the 4-5 rep range
It has worked remarkably well.

But a big part of it is all the assistance, flexibility, stability work. It seems super gay doing a lot of it at first but trust me it’s worth it

So i went and did some physio after you posted this and it really showed me how weak/tight my hips and glutes are. The exercises they gave me are painfully boring but I can defiantly see how it will carry over especially for the squat.

So i went and did some physio after you posted this and it really showed me how weak/tight my hips and glutes are. The exercises they gave me are painfully boring but I can defiantly see how it will carry over especially for the squat.

Good man you will be glad you did!

Theres a ton of beginner programs that work, pick one and stick to it and you'll be good. That said, hiring a good coach, either online or in person definitely improved my form with things I didnt see. A bad coach might be worse than not having one so pick someone with experience in what you are trying to do.

As far as comps go, CPL runs tested and untested meets. If it doesnt say tested in the title, its untested. They'll never say untested though.

Check out juggernaut-powerlifting on YouTube. They have everything you need to know. You can pm if you have any other questions. I'm in the same area and have some competition experience