my squat life

storman

Trusted Member
I just finished doing legs in the basement and i thought i would share this.
I havent squatted in over 10 years due to shoulder issues and just shitty balance. I always did hacks and leg presses and my legs did fine but in the back of my mind i always thought i was missing out.
I just got a rack last week for the basement and started doing squats with straps, acting like a poor mans safety squat bar. Today i did 4 working sets of 405 for 15 reps each and it was actually pretty easy. I know 405 isnt mind blowing but im happy with it.
I cant believe i never thought of this before. I could of been squatting all this time. Who knows what my numbers could of been. Now i just need more plates. Making some concrete ones soon.
Anyways, if there anyone that has issues with squatting due to your shoulders then use your straps. Works awesome

405 for 15 reps is no joke no matter how big you are. I can only dream of thoose numbers..lol. I will say I live the high reps now. 15-25 reps os what I stick to now and Im not scared something is gonna let go..haha

I agree, 405 for 15 is pretty damn good. Beyond my ablitiites!

i also agree with the high reps with older age... Especially those big compound lifts.

Regarding high reps,
I've played with 15 reps and 20 reps for failure...

I'm thinking the 15 reps to failure is a bit better for size and strength than the 20.. With 20 it seems to rely more on your cardiovascular system and not your muscle ablity. I know they are closely tied, but I loot at it like this, when I do failure at 20 reps, I'm not really sore the next day.. When I fail at 15, I get the muscle soreness.

Not sure how you guys feel, but this is what I've noticed..

For example, I'll do 20 rep failure with dead lifts and I keep thinking "fuck me I'm going to be so sore tomorrow", but I'm not... Then if I increase weight to fail at 15, I am sore.

Im just glad that all the years of stacking the leg press and hack squats carried over to squats. To be honest, i was kinda nervous before i did the 315 set because i really dont have great balance. But doing them like this i felt very planted and secure so i added weight.
But im not sure if i drove as much blood into the quads as i do when i hack squat. Lets see if im sore tomorrow

Im just glad that all the years of stacking the leg press and hack squats carried over to squats. To be honest, i was kinda nervous before i did the 315 set because i really dont have great balance. But doing them like this i felt very planted and secure so i added weight.
But im not sure if i drove as much blood into the quads as i do when i hack squat. Lets see if im sore tomorrow

to clarify, you added canvas straps over your squat rack to prevent accidents instead of using support bar?

No i just put the straps on the bar and using them as handles in front of me. I cant get my hands on the bar to do a back squat to save my life

No i just put the straps on the bar and using them as handles in front of me. I cant get my hands on the bar to do a back squat to save my life
Same issue hear.... its discouraging i trted the straps as well its definitely better, but I decided to order the bodysolid hack squat machine.

Same issue hear.... its discouraging i trted the straps as well its definitely better, but I decided to order the bodysolid hack squat machine.
Ya something like that is on my wish list. Having a decent leg workout at home is nice
Probably still going to buy a good safety squat bar but straps will do for now

I have shoulder issues ... I use a cambered squat bar... find it very easy to use and can go heavy. Cambered olympic bars are not that expensive and I find it easier to balance than the safety squat bar. This is an alternative to the safety squat bar.

Where did you order from? I’ve been keeping an eye out for a leg press/hack squat machine but everywhere I look they seem sold out or back ordered.

nice numbers, be proud of your accomplishment. You have a new exercise and considering you just started - skies the limit.

nice numbers, be proud of your accomplishment. You have a new exercise and considering you just started - skies the limit.
crappy tire has plate sets on. 4 10lbs and 2 5lb for 89 bucks. Ordered the last 2 sets they had and picking them up today just for next weeks workout.
Upper back is a little sore so i must of been leaning forward a little and powering through it. Have to work on that

@storman get a set of good lifting shoes. Feels like your feet are screwed to the floor.

After moving all my stuff to storage and living at my gfs for three months I’m just finally setting up my little modest home gym in the garage this weekend.

I will be getting back into squatting out of necessity as I don’t have an extension or press at home.

Scared to see how much my strength has gone down over the last several months of no gym. 🤦‍♂️