My morning gym rant

animal-inside

Trusted Member
I lift before work at 6am.. Been doing it since I had kids.. Helps me have more family time..

Usually there is 1-3 ppl in the gym at this time and we are a quiet, but friendly to each other.. Most ppl are in for a quick workout before work like me so its not a socializing crowd at all.. Nice middle aged crowd.

All that slowly changed since Sept. We now have 2 douches..

Douche #1
-middle aged..
-seems to be a cross fitter type.
-ties up 2 peices of equipment at once, yet spends more time on his phone than lifting.
-has now started to have full phone calls during his work outs.. He has his headphones in to hear the other person, but he talks outloud on speaker phone to the person he's talking to.. And he's a huge douche.. I literally heard him last week when he made his call "Hi gorgeous.. what are doing"... A couple mins later "How come I can't see you.. you can see me.. come turn your camera on".. The conversation went like that for 5 mins or so.. So he's literally face timing his gf/wife on camera and trying to get her to turn her camera on so he can see her at 7am...
-when this douche is done lfiting, he literally sits on a bench on his phone for sometimes 20 mins flipping through social media or having a phone conversation.. Like WTF.. Why are people at the gym making face time calls????

Although this guy is a douche, his behaviour hasn't affected my lifting or schedule

Douche #2
-nice guy actually
-just started lifting and has asked me for a bit of advice etc.
-I thought he was a decent guy until the last 2 weeks this douche has now started working out by using 3 pecies of equipement all at the same time for an hour.. For example.. Today he was doing chest and triceps.. From 6:30 am-7:15.. All he did was tricep rope push down, hammer strength flat bench machine, dumbbells flys on the incline bench.. The fucking tool used these 3 peices of equipement for 45 mins doing like 10 sets of each in a curcuit.. pissed me off because we have one cable cross over machine, but another tricep cable push down machine and he chose to use the cross over machine for his push downs and tied the whole machine up.. just when I thought he was done with his cable push downs so I could use the cross over machione, he switched the handles and did some oddly fucked up version of standing low cable cross overs..
-what makes matters worse is this guy is now on his phone more than lifting as well.. he'd do 3 curcuit sets.. then go on his phone for 5 mins.. then repeat..

Although this guy is a nice guy, he has seriously affecred my lifting becaue of the # of peices of euqipement he uses and the length of time he ties them all up for.

Yes I could talk to them politely.. But its 6am and I don't really feel like talking to anyone.. I also feel like people shouldn't need to be told to be respectful.. I also feel like people should be aware of whats happening around them and adjust accordingly..

Next time I'll politely talk to these guys, but for their age I don't think it should be needed..

For the guys that use 3 or 4 machines at once... I wait untill they start a set on a different machine and go use the one I want...lol. they always come over and say Im still using that. I just play dumb and say oh You were on that other machine.

For the guys that use 3 or 4 machines at once... I wait untill they start a set on a different machine and go use the one I want...lol. they always come over and say Im still using that. I just play dumb and say oh You were on that other machine.

awesome passive agreesive stratedgy!

Reactions: PGM
I use to do that all the time when I went to public gyms. I was in Fredericton NB working out and I wanted to use a machine this huge bodybuilder was using... he was using 4 machines ... so I went over and adjusted one of the machines he was using did some reps and then went to another machine. Well didn't he freak when he tried to adjust the machine I used of his, he could not get it adjusted. So he comes over gets in my face starts yelling at me that the machine was his, he was using it, and that he was going rip me a new asshole... the prick was about a foot from me crowding my space. I told him to get out of my space and that the machines were for everybody to use. He starts screaming at me again and steps even closer towards me, putting me in a very vulnerable situation, so I head butted him in the nose. Boy.... he screamed even louder after that, I hate to see a very large man cry ... but in his case it was ok. He assaulted me what can I say. He ran to the bathroom ... he kinda had to his nose was bleeding and not in good shape, the f**ker. I finished my workout and used the machines the big guy was using lol. Some ppl can be such dicks.

I lift before work at 6am.. Been doing it since I had kids.. Helps me have more family time..

Usually there is 1-3 ppl in the gym at this time and we are a quiet, but friendly to each other.. Most ppl are in for a quick workout before work like me so its not a socializing crowd at all.. Nice middle aged crowd.

All that slowly changed since Sept. We now have 2 douches..

Douche #1
-middle aged..
-seems to be a cross fitter type.
-ties up 2 peices of equipment at once, yet spends more time on his phone than lifting.
-has now started to have full phone calls during his work outs.. He has his headphones in to hear the other person, but he talks outloud on speaker phone to the person he's talking to.. And he's a huge douche.. I literally heard him last week when he made his call "Hi gorgeous.. what are doing"... A couple mins later "How come I can't see you.. you can see me.. come turn your camera on".. The conversation went like that for 5 mins or so.. So he's literally face timing his gf/wife on camera and trying to get her to turn her camera on so he can see her at 7am...
-when this douche is done lfiting, he literally sits on a bench on his phone for sometimes 20 mins flipping through social media or having a phone conversation.. Like WTF.. Why are people at the gym making face time calls????

Although this guy is a douche, his behaviour hasn't affected my lifting or schedule

Douche #2
-nice guy actually
-just started lifting and has asked me for a bit of advice etc.
-I thought he was a decent guy until the last 2 weeks this douche has now started working out by using 3 pecies of equipement all at the same time for an hour.. For example.. Today he was doing chest and triceps.. From 6:30 am-7:15.. All he did was tricep rope push down, hammer strength flat bench machine, dumbbells flys on the incline bench.. The fucking tool used these 3 peices of equipement for 45 mins doing like 10 sets of each in a curcuit.. pissed me off because we have one cable cross over machine, but another tricep cable push down machine and he chose to use the cross over machine for his push downs and tied the whole machine up.. just when I thought he was done with his cable push downs so I could use the cross over machione, he switched the handles and did some oddly fucked up version of standing low cable cross overs..
-what makes matters worse is this guy is now on his phone more than lifting as well.. he'd do 3 curcuit sets.. then go on his phone for 5 mins.. then repeat..

Although this guy is a nice guy, he has seriously affecred my lifting becaue of the # of peices of euqipement he uses and the length of time he ties them all up for.

Yes I could talk to them politely.. But its 6am and I don't really feel like talking to anyone.. I also feel like people shouldn't need to be told to be respectful.. I also feel like people should be aware of whats happening around them and adjust accordingly..

Next time I'll politely talk to these guys, but for their age I don't think it should be needed..
These sort of guys really can ruin the atmosphere of your workout. If your flexible and there are other machines... just choose another exercise for what your training and put the douche out of your mind. I find confronting these type of people just makes it worse rather than better, even though in your mind your kicking them in the head.

I always take super setter equipment. Funny but nobody has ever approached me about it

Its always been like this in some form or another. I have been guilty at times. I like tri-sets and giant sets.

However, when ever I see anybody eyeing the equipment I am on I always have and always will offer to share or work together on a machine/bench etc.. It used always be this way as a rule.

Few actually take up the task. It seems nobody really wants to work their guts out anymore sometimes.

We have very few douches at the gym I use currently. After 48 years in the gym I've seen every form of douchebaggery shit imaginable and met some of the nicest dude ever.

I find the explosion of our industry becoming more mainstream has opened the doors to more of both. The addition of the smart phone has royally fucked it up!!

fuck em if they cant take a joke!

I always take super setter equipment. Funny but nobody has ever approached me about it

I super set ALL the time, however I make it a point to not tie up machinces too long.. I also try to not super set with both exercises needing machines.. A machine exercise with a dumbell/barbell one is better super set for the people in the gym