My "Intermittent extreme caloric reduction" diet

Nixter

Trusted Member
Well that's what I'm calling it anyways. I have absolutely zero ability to stay consistent with diet, tracking foods, etc, on a 24/7 basis, in order to lose weight. My hat's off to those of you who do this regularly. Part of it is that I lack a regular routine in my daily life that would make this even remotely possible. Even if I had routine, I don't think I could do it. Sometimes I just want to open the fridge, put things in my mouth hole, and not think about it. Thankfully, even with my erratic eating, I tend to remain at a relatively stable weight if I don't have a particular goal in mind. Gaining is easy as I have no problem eating more. Dieting has always been the problem, until now!

Basically I'm just eating as I normally do most days of the week, but on Tuesdays and Thursdays I consume nothing but a 4 scoop protein shake, sipping it throughout the day. I mix it with water so there's almost zero carbs. This works for me because it's easy and I don't have to keep track of anything. Based on a rough BMR calculation, My 5 days of regular eating, plus 2 days of shakes works out to a 650cal daily deficit over the course of a week. There's even evidence that periodic, extreme caloric restriction is better for muscle retention than traditional, chronic caloric deficit style dieting. This is my 3rd week at it and the results in the mirror are easily enough to keep me motivated to continue. I train Mon/Wed/Fri and my gym performance has not suffered at all. My weights and reps are all increasing at the moment, in fact.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has struggled with traditional dieting like I have, and wants to try something new and really easy.

fyi. protien powder will raise blood sugar. steak and eggs sound like a better idea.
This is why I sip on it throughout the day. I also use an isolate, which is whey and casein, making it slower digesting. The studies showing massive insulin spikes are with non isolate, whey protein. You could also use a pure casein if you really wanted to slow things down. Regardless, my results so far have been fantastic.

Last edited:
i love keto to lose weight but i do have cheat days. i just started keto on this past sunday. i am not big fan of protein shakes as i am still really hungry after having one.

i love keto to lose weight but i do have cheat days. i just started keto on this past sunday. i am not big fan of protein shakes as i am still really hungry after having one.
I understand that. A four scoop shake is about a litre and continually sipping on it throughout the day stops me from ever getting too hungry. It's a 480 calorie total for the entire day, plus I get 5 cheat days! :) Perhaps I should call it "intermittent extreme calorie restriction" instead as It's more about the weekly calorie deficit than it is about being keto.

Meeting plans, losing weight is all about discipline, measuring your weight and looking at you conditioning weekly and getting yourself into a habit of eating low glycemic meals... period. I have done it an succeeded on a multiple competition basis ( have lost 60 lbs in 16 weeks a number of time). Do I want to do it every day and week of my life.... NOOO. Mix it up. Do a 12 to 16 week disciplined diet and lose 30 lbsto 60 lbs by restricting high glycemic foods, and using carb cycling when you plateau. Then ease up gain a bit of weight that brings you back to a weight that is in the centre of your max ...min. So if I was 265 and went to 205 for a competition over 16 weeks, then gain 30 lbs back and try to stabilized at 235. This should not be to difficult as you have done the extreme diet to get to 205, to maintain 235 is not a hard diet to maintain any more. This is my experience even though I am back to 250... I only need 15 lbs to get back to where I want to be.

Perhaps I should call it "intermittent extreme calorie restriction" instead
I would suggest calling it that, because there's nothing in this thread even remotely close to a keto diet. Keto diets are actually very easy once you make it past the first week or so. I would say much easier for the average person than taking 2 days/week and doing a liquid diet.

I always say if it sounds stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. Sounds like you a getting results so it works for you. I would be miserable on the shake only days.

I always say if it sounds stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. Sounds like you a getting results so it works for you. I would be miserable on the shake only days.
My thoughts exactly. If it works, great! I'd be in jail in I tried this. The hanger is real in this one! lol