Mind muscle connection?

CosmicJuiceBoxx

Trusted Member
I am right handed/ right arm dominant.
I noticed I have a hard time finding connection to my right bicep. My left i can relax the entire arm and bop/ twitch the left bicep (like the pec pop thing) but I cannot do it with my right one.
My arms are pretty equal in size I would think, and I believe them to be strong but why would this be happening, and does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it/ develop a better conextion?
Connection to feel the desired muscle work should result in better gains and I find it odd I cannot connect to my right bicep.
My right tricep can do the twitch and pop, and it almost feels like it wants to just take over for the bicep when Im relaxing and trying to make it happen...
Ideas.. suggestions?
Thanks all!

I noticed I have a hard time finding connection to my right bicep. My left i can relax the entire arm and bop/ twitch the left bicep (like the pec pop thing) but I cannot do it with my right one.
My arms are pretty equal in size I would think, and I believe them to be strong but why would this be happening, and does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it/ develop a better conextion?
Connection to feel the desired muscle work should result in better gains and I find it odd I cannot connect to my right bicep.
My right tricep can do the twitch and pop, and it almost feels like it wants to just take over for the bicep when Im relaxing and trying to make it happen...
Ideas.. suggestions?
Thanks all!
For me certain bicep exercises I really feel and some I don't feel at all. Like I don't feel the mind muscle conection with seated incline db curls or crucifix curls.
For me cable curles, preacher curls and alternating DB curls all work amazing.
Maybe try a bunch of different curl exercises... keep the ones that work best and ditch the ones that don't.

Also standing (or sitting) up straight with my shoulders back helps my get a better arm pump and keeps my delts out of it.
Also try adjusting the weight... I was going too heavy for a long time and getting more of a shoulder workout... when I lowered the weight and increased the reps, I had way better results.
My biceps are very stubborn... so I know where you're coming from.
Cheers

Ill try to cut the weight first, would you think that exercising would lead to the connextion which would lead to the ability to flex/ twitch/ pop the muscle while relaxed.
I think just the fact that I cant wiggle and pop it but I can with my left is bothering me the most! I dont use my left arm for much other than driving HA!

I find a had to use different exercises to really develop my mind muscle with certain muscle groups.

For biceps: DB Preacher Curl both arms at the same time while pressing them together, forcing my brachialis to flex as well.

Chest: Pec deck really focusing on the squeeze at the top

Triceps: DB kickback as a starter (ik they don’t really do a whole lot for hypertrophy, but they did build my mind muscle, used as a mind/tendon warmup)

Just a few examples to show the same idea can be applied to every main muscle group. These worked for me, but everyone is different. I also used high rep for the mind muscle development purely for that burning feeling, just to be 100% certain I can at least feel the pain where I’m trying to connect my mind.

Only way i get a pump in my biceps is low weight, high reps.
For me a lighter weight and each rep is a hard, paused squeeze/flex. Do that 15-20 times with a 10-15lb dumbbell and see what happens.
Also try face down on an incline bench with your arms hanging down.

I got yer back, jack. This builds on what Bagua said. Never seen it fail with an honest effort. The basics of it are the same for any muscle group but biceps is actually the group that's the most interesting/complex to me to explain and demonstrate.

Basically first then with some detail for biceps specifically.
I'd leave this until your last movement of the day at least the first few times or it could ruin the rest of the workout.
Work on the mental connection the entire time.
Make sure you are warmed up very well.
Get the target muscle into the absolute most contracted position that you can. This means making it as short as possible by putting every single joint that relates to it at all into the optimum position. In most cases targeting one side at a time is needed to achieve this.
Now flex and squeeze the shit out of it until it cramps up painfully and hold it for as long as you can, now is not the time to be a pussy.
This should be very painful, the type of cramp you get where you feel like you have to unwind it very slowly.
Repeat a few times, you'll most likely get to the point where it cramps before you even try to flex.
Now do some gentle dynamic stretching in what will probably be a fruitless attempt at completely lessening the muscle up.
Now hit that bodypart with any exercise that results in a decent level of maximum contraction, you will be well aware that weight/volume is going to need to be reduced.

Generally for most muscle groups the journey to the fully contracted position should start from the most extreme stretch by flexing the joint furthers from the centre of your body, make every millimeter count.
For biceps-
Stand up and bend over at the waist. Arm flat pressed against your torso.
With your elbow straight, wrist and fingers as open as you can reach for the ceiling behind you as if you were trying to put your palm flat to the ceiling.
That's the start position.
The End position is standing up with tour back arched as much as you can, bicep pressed against your ear, wrist supinated while you try to get your skyward pointed elbow to the wall being you.

To get to the end do the following while slowly transitioning from bent over to upright - start with the last knuckle on your fingers rolling your hand into a fist, supinate the wrist and bring the arm forward and up while keeping it tight to the torso.

I know it sounds like I'm being really picky here because you of course could simply go straight to the finished position without all the fuss but their is a contractile intensity advantage to this "outside in" approach so why not take it.
You gonna be sore for a while, this makes it easier to get in touch and work that twitch.

I think effort on the MM connection is way underated and underutilized, their are gains especially for hypertrophy there why not take them? Good on ya for recognizing your issue, good luck.

I got yer back, jack. This builds on what Bagua said. Never seen it fail with an honest effort. The basics of it are the same for any muscle group but biceps is actually the group that's the most interesting/complex to me to explain and demonstrate.

Basically first then with some detail for biceps specifically.
I'd leave this until your last movement of the day at least the first few times or it could ruin the rest of the workout.
Work on the mental connection the entire time.
Make sure you are warmed up very well.
Get the target muscle into the absolute most contracted position that you can. This means making it as short as possible by putting every single joint that relates to it at all into the optimum position. In most cases targeting one side at a time is needed to achieve this.
Now flex and squeeze the shit out of it until it cramps up painfully and hold it for as long as you can, now is not the time to be a pussy.
This should be very painful, the type of cramp you get where you feel like you have to unwind it very slowly.
Repeat a few times, you'll most likely get to the point where it cramps before you even try to flex.
Now do some gentle dynamic stretching in what will probably be a fruitless attempt at completely lessening the muscle up.
Now hit that bodypart with any exercise that results in a decent level of maximum contraction, you will be well aware that weight/volume is going to need to be reduced.

Generally for most muscle groups the journey to the fully contracted position should start from the most extreme stretch by flexing the joint furthers from the centre of your body, make every millimeter count.
For biceps-
Stand up and bend over at the waist. Arm flat pressed against your torso.
With your elbow straight, wrist and fingers as open as you can reach for the ceiling behind you as if you were trying to put your palm flat to the ceiling.
That's the start position.
The End position is standing up with tour back arched as much as you can, bicep pressed against your ear, wrist supinated while you try to get your skyward pointed elbow to the wall being you.

To get to the end do the following while slowly transitioning from bent over to upright - start with the last knuckle on your fingers rolling your hand into a fist, supinate the wrist and bring the arm forward and up while keeping it tight to the torso.

I know it sounds like I'm being really picky here because you of course could simply go straight to the finished position without all the fuss but their is a contractile intensity advantage to this "outside in" approach so why not take it.
You gonna be sore for a while, this makes it easier to get in touch and work that twitch.

I think effort on the MM connection is way underated and underutilized, their are gains especially for hypertrophy there why not take them? Good on ya for recognizing your issue, good luck.
I have had calf, hamstring and ab cramping before... never bicep.
I cant Imagine what it will feel like but I will try what everyone has suggested.
Usually my calf hurts for 2 days after it seized up. 😐

I have had calf, hamstring and ab cramping before... never bicep.
I cant Imagine what it will feel like but I will try what everyone has suggested.
Usually my calf hurts for 2 days after it seized up. 😐
You want bicep cramps do 21’s

so cable curl, do 7 on the upper Half, 7 on the bottom half, 7 full reps. Now if you can do more than 7 keep going, increase the weight next time.

If you do it right and override your brain (when I hit the part when I think I’m done, I calm myself and do more reps), you should feel a white hot burning sensation that is extremely painful, super painful. Like you should bounce around afterwards saying, “ouch, ouch, ouch” as the pain comes out, lol.

Do 3 sets of this.

Next day when you go to lift something in a curl fashion you should get bicep cramps or at least feel it trying. If you don’t, you didn’t try hard enough the day before, lol.

Anyhow why your right bi doesn’t pop might be just the way it’s shaped. You know years of using your dominate hand, things like that.
My left bi doesn't peek as nice as my right.

Might not be able to do anything about it.

Last edited:
I admit I didn't read every comment but few things you may want to try:
1. If you don't feel an exercise, pick another. I don't do exercises I can't feel in the area I am trying to hit.
2. Like @superbeast - high reps, squeezing, and thinking about the movement when your doing it.

I don't over complicate things. I look at the proof in the mirror - if I'm hitting my goals then it is working. I don't train biceps much, max a few sets at the end of back day. If you do chose grip chins, upright rows, rows of any kind you are hitting your biceps no matter how much you concentrate on making your back do it. Close grip chins have been studied and engage biceps more than all bicep exercises studied. Can't do 20 chins - get a band and slip it under your knee for a little boost until you can.

I am really oversimplifying things. Gondar went into detail and makes a lot of sense.

good luck

Squeeze at the top of the rep for a second then let the eccentric down slowly over 2 seconds for your reps.

Or try bands, they match your body's natural strength curve so they're naturally better for mind/muscle connection.

I've combined bands and weights but it feels fucking weird.

I think bands are actually really good for hypertrophy especially in the arms. I get disgusting arm pumps with them.

Ideas.. suggestions?
Thanks all!
Something that really helped me was to practice flexing and posing.

Ideas.. suggestions?
Thanks all!
Also what really helped me was doing arms on the same day .. tris bis and forearms... do tris first. .then you'll get a better pump when you do bis.. .then go to forearms and do reverse curls and hammer curls.. so you give the bi's a little extra push there too.. .worked great for me.

Also what really helped me was doing arms on the same day .. tris bis and forearms... do tris first. .then you'll get a better pump when you do bis.. .then go to forearms and do reverse curls and hammer curls.. so you give the bi's a little extra push there too.. .worked great for me.
damn bro doing any bicep exercise with my elbow planted like preachers etc. makes me fucking cry with a tricep pump lmao. especially if I trained my long head at that point. the pressure on the pumped muscle feels like your being crushed

damn bro doing any bicep exercise with my elbow planted like preachers etc. makes me fucking cry with a tricep pump lmao. especially if I trained my long head at that point. the pressure on the pumped muscle feels like your being crushed
Exactly.. just be careful not to tear the bicep.. I find it's better to go light with bi's so I stay safe.. like 12 -14 reps.
I can probably do 8 reps on preachers with a 90lb BB with good form... but using 60-70lb for 12 -14 gets me way more pumped.. and less chance of injuries

This just happen to pop up on my youtube

I started doing more chin ups maybe 3 weeks ago because of that exact reason, gymnasts have amazing arms. When I do think helped me to get the MM connection on my left and I certainly feel like my arms have grown a tad but still lacking the super in touch connection. Maybe Im overthinking it and like @Taureau said, my arms just grew differently and I wont reach thay same level with my dominant arm.

Exactly.. just be careful not to tear the bicep.. I find it's better to go light with bi's so I stay safe.. like 12 -14 reps.
I can probably do 8 reps on preachers with a 90lb BB with good form... but using 60-70lb for 12 -14 gets me way more pumped.. and less chance of injuries
I got horrible tendinitis in my forearms from preacher curls. Took months to heal. Plus I didn’t like the feel, like something is stretching too much.
I just do may normal barbel curls. I like to stayaround 10-12 reps as well, so usually around 130 lbs, lol. Gotta dig deep for that.

I got horrible tendinitis in my forearms from preacher curls. Took months to heal. Plus I didn’t like the feel, like something is stretching too much.
I just do may normal barbel curls. I like to stayaround 10-12 reps as well, so usually around 130 lbs, lol. Gotta dig deep for that.
I found the forearm extensor rubber finger exercise things actually help a ton for tendonitis and tennis elbow! Saw them on an instagram ad and figured 5 bucks, fuck it why not?
My forearms dont give out before my back on back day anymore which is crazy to me, no straps needed ! Highly suggest them :)