Metformin

Thegodofgains

Trusted Member
Anyone had any positive results with Metformin.

Care to share what they were if so.

I heard it would help leaning out, and shuttling glucose more efficiently so glycogen gets stored in muscle tissue making you look fuller and leaner.

I read about the other benefits besides the muscle stuff like anti aging, but curious to know what the long term side effects are from those who have taken it.

Sent from my M2007J3SY using Tapatalk

Anyone had any positive results with Metformin.

Care to share what they were if so.

I heard it would help leaning out, and shuttling glucose more efficiently so glycogen gets stored in muscle tissue making you look fuller and leaner.

I read about the other benefits besides the muscle stuff like anti aging, but curious to know what the long term side effects are from those who have taken it.

Sent from my M2007J3SY using Tapatalk
I was about to use Metformin for the anti aging benefit, and better glucose metabolism etc...
INSTEAD, i am using Berberine at 500 mg a few times per day on high carb meals.
Just started a short while ago. Will advise later how it goes.
Very similar to metformin. No script required, health food store availability.

Last one

I was about to use Metformin for the anti aging benefit, and better glucose metabolism etc...
INSTEAD, i am using Berberine at 500 mg a few times per day on high carb meals.
Just started a short while ago. Will advise later how it goes.
Very similar to metformin. No script required, health food store availability.
I've been taking Berberine at 500 mg twice a day for about a year now to try to help with my insulin resistance.

I did a LOT of reading on it before hand and although some say it has side effects, the overall benefits greaty outweighed the possible sides when I Was faced with developing type 2 diabetes like many of my family.

My blood sugar levels are good now, but I can't say for certian how much was due to the berberine because of a lot of other factors. But from what I've read, its got a lot of great benefits.

Some type 2 diabetics actually respond better to berberine that metaformin from what I read.

To the OP, if your going to try it, get a blood glucose monitor as well. Take your blood sugars first thing in the morning and right before dinner for a week. Then try the berberine for a few weeks, then repeat taking blood sugars.. Then take it for a month and repeat taking blood sugars.. This will help you see if your benefiting from it or not.

Good stuff Animal Inside, congrats on getting things under control.
There is definitely good benefits from Berberine, my buddy is crazy for logging items and keeping track, worse than i am. He has done all the testing with gluc meter etc. Huge difference.
Science has shown many other benefits of Berberine outside of glucose management.
I have read many studies on this and it is the real deal.
BUT, my buddy had dramatic effects after a week in, 500 mg 3 meals per day, so i am following suit. This is for the phase i am in on my cycle and building muscle etc. Taking GH etc, this should reap good benefits.
I have a bottle of humulin R in the fridge, but i do not like slin personally, this may be the ticket To assist me in my goals.
Look forward to hearing whatever path you take Devious D

Metformin is increasing some chances of cancer last I heard. Berberine seems interesting. From what a documentary said (not the best sources of info) is that low blood sugar is what centurions have in common.

So because of my surgery I now have Type 2 diabetes and have been using metformin for a few months. I've been reading a lot about Berberine and I'm going to try adding it in as my glucose has become very difficult to keep under control even with insulin and metformin

I have been using berberine off and on for a few years. I find 1000mg after high carb meals and before bed on those nights to really help keep down bloat. I have never used it daily but if i did i would probably do 500 instead of a gram.
When i go to all inclusives i used to blow up like a balloon. Then i started taking berberine with every meal and before bed and i stay good

So because of my surgery I now have Type 2 diabetes and have been using metformin for a few months. I've been reading a lot about Berberine and I'm going to try adding it in as my glucose has become very difficult to keep under control even with insulin and metformin

Chromium and vanadium help with insulin resistance, but I'm not sure that's why your type 2... IF it is, might help

Alpha lipotic aicd helps aswell.

I did blood sugar readings to verify these work for me. Not exact science, but seemed to be obvious for me.

Chromium and vanadium help with insulin resistance, but I'm not sure that's why your type 2... IF it is, might help

I did blood sugar readings to verify these work for me. Not exact science, but seemed to be obvious for me.
Type 2 because of pancreatic cancer. Had my spleen and 1/2 my pancreas removed.

I was going to take metformin as well, decided not to because of the down regulations of igf-1

Decided on chromium/Cylon cinnamon/berbine

Metformin is increasing some chances of cancer last I heard. Berberine seems interesting. From what a documentary said (not the best sources of info) is that low blood sugar is what centurions have in common.
Yes, one ingredient in Metformin, i am at a loss for the ingredient right now, on the tip of my tongue...FDA is making that ingredient illegal and may be a huge recall of metformin as well....Stick to Berberine folks for now...

Chromium picolinate and vanadium have slight assistance, not much though at all, ALA the same in comparison to heavier hitters.
As you said, they do help....Over time, but Just my opinion, not much for BBers eating like some of us do, and definitely not if looking for GH assistance.

Yes, one ingredient in Metformin, i am at a loss for the ingredient right now, on the tip of my tongue...FDA is making that ingredient illegal and may be a huge recall of metformin as well....Stick to Berberine folks for now...
That is really good to know it was not actually the main ingredient. I guess its like ratodine which gave a bunch of people stomach cancer.

Chromium picolinate and vanadium have slight assistance, not much though at all, ALA the same in comparison to heavier hitters.
As you said, they do help....Over time, but Just my opinion, not much for BBers eating like some of us do, and definitely not if looking for GH assistance.

Gotcha.. I only got into using them for type 2 diabetes, not for what you guys are using them for.

ALA is a decent supplement for overall benefits though. I'll probably use this long term..

The Chromium/vanadium doesn't seem to have as much over all health benefits, so I was looking at dropping it once my blood sugar is at an ideal range.

From health and longevity stand point Metformin can be a very good drug to use. From a bodybuilding point of you it is not that great. Metformin reduces the levels of insulin and IGF-1 levels meaning it it will reduce the growth of the cell. What do we want when cell to do when we workout? Become enlarged , inflamed, protein synthesis, taurine to be elevation for muscle function list goes on. So optimally take it on rest days. Never take it during a day you workout

I finally decided to ask my np for metformin for the aging benefits, and cancer benefit, shes going to compound me a low dose of 200mg slow release to try.

From health and longevity stand point Metformin can be a very good drug to use. From a bodybuilding point of you it is not that great. Metformin reduces the levels of insulin and IGF-1 levels meaning it it will reduce the growth of the cell. What do we want when cell to do when we workout? Become enlarged , inflamed, protein synthesis, taurine to be elevation for muscle function list goes on. So optimally take it on rest days. Never take it during a day you workout
Metformin lowers the amount of blood sugar that your liver makes and helps your body utilize slin more effectively. It may also help you lose a little bit of weight.
It is an insulin sensitizer...IE decent to use whilst utilizing GH at bb doses.
It is good for BBers.
Insulin is a hormone your body produces to move sugar out of your blood and into cells. By doing this, insulin helps your cells get the energy they need so they can do their jobs. When there is too much sugar in the blood, cells aren’t able to absorb sugar as well as they should, which leads to sugar buildup in the blood. This is known as insulin resistance and can lead to diabetes.

As an insulin sensitizer, metformin helps decrease insulin resistance. Cells are able to absorb and use sugar more effectively, which reduces the amount of sugar in your blood.

MY 2 ccs.

Metformin lowers the amount of blood sugar that your liver makes and helps your body utilize slin more effectively. It may also help you lose a little bit of weight.
It is an insulin sensitizer...IE decent to use whilst utilizing GH at bb doses.
It is good for BBers.
Insulin is a hormone your body produces to move sugar out of your blood and into cells. By doing this, insulin helps your cells get the energy they need so they can do their jobs. When there is too much sugar in the blood, cells aren’t able to absorb sugar as well as they should, which leads to sugar buildup in the blood. This is known as insulin resistance and can lead to diabetes.

As an insulin sensitizer, metformin helps decrease insulin resistance. Cells are able to absorb and use sugar more effectively, which reduces the amount of sugar in your blood.

MY 2 ccs.
For some bodybuilders it has made them have to eat wayyyy more basically negating any effects of metaformin just for them to continue to grow but those are people already at professional levels. I am going to try berberin sometime soon and I believe I just did a fasting blood glucose test so I am going to try and track that because I don't think the big list of other supplements I use are making me more insulin sensitive.