melatonin grogginess?

When it comes to Melatonin the problem is that people take way too much. Anything over 5mg would make me groggy too, and they come in as high as 10mg caps.

What I do is I buy the 5mg caps and I snap them into 4 quarters. I take one sublingual at bedtime, and when I'm up to piss if I can't fall back asleep easily I'll take another.

No grogginess as its low dose and spread out.

I hear you.. I used to take melatonin all the time and I did fine.. loved the sleep from it.. But I realize those were 3mg pills.. the ones the wife gets are 5mg.. and I see she bought a box of 10mg the other day. WIfe uses them no problems.

Maybe I'll try 1/2 tonight.

I did 1/4 of a 5mg tab last night along with my tiny bit of THC..

Sleep really really well and didn't wake up groggy.

I went to bed at my regular time, but woke up 1 hour earlier without the alarm waking me up. Felt well rested.

Maybe all the side effects were due to too high of a dose.

I'll try the same again tonight. Thanks @mt666tm

I thought I commented in a thread recently about this but most people take WAY too much melatonin. Its sold in high doses because it's extremely cheap.

I used to take 5mg and got the grogginess. If you do some research its active from a very small dose. I now have 1.5mg pills and I split it in half and take that. I find it's more than enough!

Interesting thing I found out about optimizing my sleep is the adrenergic system

alpha 2 adrenergic receptors stimulate sleep + hgh release, I’m assuming this is one thing that is activated during sleep

testosterone desensitizes this, probably why testosterone is low at night naturally and high in the morning

Some good stuff on sleep and melatonin among other things in this podcast, that part starts somewhere around the 20 min mark. Whole show is good though. As usual I could argue against a bunch of things this doc says but overall he is on point and has some intriguing views of our interests.

Good video, im intrested in the Serotonin part, so 5 htp lowers cortisol levels by raising Serotonin?

Im curious to know as i have to play with cortisol levels to have my thyroid medication absorbed properly. I myself wake up often during sleep, i seem to recall trying melatonin a year ago with good success but always woke up a bit more tired.
I do read alot that melatonin is a great supplement to take ir has a lot of benefits and it is also a hormone correct?

Good video, im intrested in the Serotonin part, so 5 htp lowers cortisol levels by raising Serotonin?

Im curious to know as i have to play with cortisol levels to have my thyroid medication absorbed properly. I myself wake up often during sleep, i seem to recall trying melatonin a year ago with good success but always woke up a bit more tired.
I do read alot that melatonin is a great supplement to take ir has a lot of benefits and it is also a hormone correct?
Sorry bud I don't think I have enough of handle on this to be able to address your questions very deeply. I think you need a very accurate answer to the first one considering the possible interactions. I got the feeling it's not going to be a simple interaction. Yes to the lowering cortisol but probably a whole slew of other hormones and systems as well.

Yes to melatonin being a hormone, one comment on that - I think it's only going to improve sleep significantly in people who are deficient to begin with, same reasoning is behind my feeling that more than a very minimal amount (0.5 - 3mg iirc) is a waste of product and likely behind the grogginess some describe.

I have to use the dual action melatonin so it last longer, usually knocks me out in about an hour and I don't have any grogginess the next day. I have been taking it for a while though. I take breaks to ensure my regular melatonin production doesn't stop.
I read that it won't affect regular production, regardless of how long you take it. I take 10mg every night, and have done so for years, but when I go camping I don't take any and sleep just fine, well, aside from the fact that I'm sleeping on little more than a thick yoga mat. I ran out a couple weeks ago and slept just fine without, but grabbed some dual action 10mg tabs recently. I take melatonin and magnesium every night. If I'm unable to sleep it's usually due to something else.

In general I will eat an edible pot thingy before bed.. I rarely feel high from the small dose I use. Just enough to relax and sleep. I've been looking at using CBD instesd but the price is ridiculous compared to reg edibles.

I've tried ZMA before and I didn't find i felt much.. I also found it difficult to use it properly, on an empty stomach... It's difficult for me to plan my meals/supp/vitmin schedule to make sure my stomach is empty by the time i go to bed.
THC affects REM sleep. There are several studies online. I haven't read enough of the studies to say to what extent dosage has an impact. I know pot is prescribed for some people with insomnia, but the medical literature doesn't seem to support that use. Pot is one of those things that doctors seem to be willing to allow for nearly everything. I'm indifferent to it. I do use butter for inflammation.

I read that it won't affect regular production, regardless of how long you take it. I take 10mg every night, and have done so for years, but when I go camping I don't take any and sleep just fine, well, aside from the fact that I'm sleeping on little more than a thick yoga mat. I ran out a couple weeks ago and slept just fine without, but grabbed some dual action 10mg tabs recently. I take melatonin and magnesium every night. If I'm unable to sleep it's usually due to something else.

I too have no issues sleeping if I run out or go on a trip. I don't call asleep as quickly but still sleep like I took it otherwise. I suspect the issue is not that it will effect your melatonin production - doctor's / scientists say long term use may.