Meh it’s only 10,000 Jobs...Trudeau strikes again

So Ford is threatening to drug test for a cheque?Should have been done years ago.We have an immense disability by drugs and alcohol problem.Bush camps I say.Van would also be a prime candidate but it will never happen.

I am STUPIFIED they haven't got D an A testing already for a welfare cheque. Sometimes we're too damn Canadian - nice when we need to be tougher. A bunch of the people on welfare are there BECAUSE they have D and A problems. Half the damn companies in Canada have D and A testing but you don't need to in order to be given free money? Astonishing.

They must have raised welfare and changed it. My stepson is on disability so he doesn’t have to apply for work because they told him that work likely would be too stressful for him. He has drug induced schetzfrenia. (I’m sorry my spelling sucks and spellcheck didn’t fix that). He abused himself with too much meth, E and a few others.
There is way too many people that have grown up in the system. Since being exposed to it, because people on the system live in similar housing, I have realized that a lot grow up in it. Their parent or parents were on it, then they use it.
But most are normal people that don’t enjoy the compounds of structure in a job. They may work temp, but then quit because they don't like being told what to do, or criticized for the work effort,
You know I never heard one talk about looking for work.
I know when our grandson first lived with us, we got a small amount from welfare, CAS told us to go to the Ontario works and that we would get something. We really didn’t need it, but placed the $150 a month into a school fund, but it was nice have free dental and eye care. We were told that they loved people like us, that save them a fortune instead of foster care, said we would revived it until he was 18. Anyhow Whynn changed it a few years ago and we got cut off. Had nothing to do with income, the worker mentioned that they were cutting off family members that take the child. I feel bad for the ones that can barely afford to take them, that now are cut off.

I have a friend on disability. Without their drug and eyecare plan he literally couldn't survive. He estimates he takes $4-5 grand A MONTH in medicine. Keerist, how many people with JOBS could afford 4-5 grand just to be able to survive/function as best as possible?

It sounds bad yet good but I'm proud to be Canadian when I see good people who have had issues (like your stepson who might have had a meth problem but he sure as fuck never signed up for a permanent mental illness. I DO NOT prescribe to the "well he did it to himself" bullshit. We're Canada, we have high as fuck taxes but people (1-sadly except for too many indigenous people (2-although some of them love the everliving hell out of getting 27 grand a year plus plus plus while they sit at home too-2) that aren't given the help they need.-1) but we take care of our peeps.

I am trying to understand your reasoning. So if I at my shop, something happens where my business drops, or a piece of equipment that someone runs breaks, and will take weeks to repair, I’m still supposed to pay them to just hang out and sweep the floor?
I have this feeling you don’t really understand how business and profits work.

BTW kids lie all the time, maybe he was underperforming and they laid him off, but he doesn’t want to admit this to you.
I had a student once that lied to his dad, his dad came in yelling at me, I explained what really happened, and he apologized and walked out. His son has lied because he didn’t want his dad to know that he called in sick, showed up late and was not self motivated.

Also if business slows, or something out of my control happens, I always keep my best employees. Not sure what it’s like in a large production plant though, Musclememory would know better.

If you have made an agreement with an employee that you are going to pay them full-time hours and take care of them then yes you should be on the line for temporary work disruptions. It's not their fault if you've not accounted for something happening. Any responsible employer should have funds put aside to support their workforce. They're willing to work under your conditions for you at a set wage and have obligations they need to meet. You as an employer need to take into consideration for your business that you might have a temporary outage. That is a prudent and fair expectation because you're just fine working them however you want and taking profits but if there's a temporary negative, you're not willing to support your workforce...aka what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Obviously anything longer than a week or two and unemployment should be handling them.

I've only ever worked one place that held on to its employees when things were slow. They are the last carpet tile manufacture in Canada and once an employee is trained they dont lay them off when things are slow because they know doing so will mean retraining new employees when things speed back up. Its a very specific skill set and they know it. Other than that place all other have laid me off when things were slow. Its jut the way it is.

We're not talking slow business. We're talking a sudden devastating loss of being paid because an employer didn't take into consideration that their workers should be supported for a short amount of time if something in your factory breaks. Longer periods, people get laid off and go unemployment but they shouldn't be screwed. I'll add that the employer never handed out any paperwork for people to apply for loss of work compensation from the government, they just plain expected their workers to wait two weeks while they fixed their problem. Sorry but people need to eat and we don't do food stamps in Canada nor do houses stop needing to be paid for.

Warren Buffett has existed the Energies Saguenay LNG project,citing the rail blockages.I pray that reality has dawned in Quebec

It is tough to live off that.Which is why you clean up a place and find out that 23 people were living in a three bedroom rental and the place is filled with discarded needles and stolen items of all manner.
Right now fentynol is killing a lot of the addicts. One guy I know has had 5
If you have made an agreement with an employee that you are going to pay them full-time hours and take care of them then yes you should be on the line for temporary work disruptions. It's not their fault if you've not accounted for something happening. Any responsible employer should have funds put aside to support their workforce. They're willing to work under your conditions for you at a set wage and have obligations they need to meet. You as an employer need to take into consideration for your business that you might have a temporary outage. That is a prudent and fair expectation because you're just fine working them however you want and taking profits but if there's a temporary negative, you're not willing to support your workforce...aka what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Obviously anything longer than a week or two and unemployment should be handling them.
He signed a legal agreement? Then that’s different.
If not under 3 months they have no obligation.
And no employer is obligated to take care of an employee. That is life. If he wishes to have that security I would suggest joining an union.
So which business do you own again? It obvious you don’t understand the inner workings.

He signed a legal agreement?
If not no employer owes him work, especially under 3 months.
Secondly if he wants that security join a union,

I have a friend on disability. Without their drug and eyecare plan he literally couldn't survive. He estimates he takes $4-5 grand A MONTH in medicine. Keerist, how many people with JOBS could afford 4-5 grand just to be able to survive/function as best as possible?

It sounds bad yet good but I'm proud to be Canadian when I see good people who have had issues (like your stepson who might have had a meth problem but he sure as fuck never signed up for a permanent mental illness. I DO NOT prescribe to the "well he did it to himself" bullshit. We're Canada, we have high as fuck taxes but people (1-sadly except for too many indigenous people (2-although some of them love the everliving hell out of getting 27 grand a year plus plus plus while they sit at home too-2) that aren't given the help they need.-1) but we take care of our peeps.
No, my stepson did it to himself, he was given the opportunity to fix his situation 5 times and chose not to. No one forced him to smoke a rock, lol. But I have a different view on this with actually having personal experience.

Right now fentynol is killing a lot of the addicts. One guy I know has had 5

He signed a legal agreement? Then that’s different.
If not under 3 months they have no obligation.
And no employer is obligated to take care of an employee. That is life. If he wishes to have that security I would suggest joining an union.
So which business do you own again? It obvious you don’t understand the inner workings.
Naloxone was all over the place.No worries about an OD Sorbate.:)

No, my stepson did it to himself, he was given the opportunity to fix his situation 5 times and chose not to. No one forced him to smoke a rock, lol. But I have a different view on this with actually having personal experience.

agreed.
i had my own experience with hard drugs. Lucky for me it only lasted about 10 yrs.... 🤦‍♂️
for me personally i dont consider it an addiction. I consider it a personal choice. I say that because i believe we were all taught at a very young age the devastating affects of drugs and unless someone forced it on you the first few times, you chose to take the drugs. And as soon as i decided enough was enough, i just stopped. But never missed work over it. I probably should not have been at work many days, but i always went and suffered though it. I knew if i didnt then there would be no money to party tomorrow. Lol. But at the end of the day i did it to myself. Its no excuse to leach off society.

Off-topic, but we follow the Medical Model of Addiction/Substance abuse which defines addiction as a disease.
"Addiction is defined as a disease by most medical associations, including the American Medical Association and the American Society of Addiction Medicine. Like diabetes, cancer and heart disease, addiction is caused by a combination of behavioral, environmental and biological factors. "

We do have a Mental Health section where this topic should be covered.

Off-topic, but we follow the Medical Model of Addiction/Substance abuse which defines addiction as a disease.
"Addiction is defined as a disease by most medical associations, including the American Medical Association and the American Society of Addiction Medicine. Like diabetes, cancer and heart disease, addiction is caused by a combination of behavioral, environmental and biological factors. "

We do have a Mental Health section where this topic should be covered.
I'm sure you have seen lots of this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_105203.jpg
    IMG_20200308_105203.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm sure you have seen lots of this.

Just a bit at upgrading courses. It wasn't around when I was an outreach worker. When I first worked on the streets (not selling my body!), it was when crack first became prevalent. The heroin users had their stuff together compared to the kids I knew using crack. Addiction work was not my favourite line of work in the least. It was so hard to see victories and people literally decay.

Just a bit at upgrading courses. It wasn't around when I was an outreach worker. When I first worked on the streets (not selling my body!), it was when crack first became prevalent. The heroin users had their stuff together compared to the kids I knew using crack. Addiction work was not my favourite line of work in the least. It was so hard to see victories and people literally decay.

Crack is nasty. I should know i have smoked plenty of it. Not proud, just being honest. I was lucky enough to keep my head to the point i always paid my bills and went to work. Not sure how but i did. My best friend too. Sounds dumb but we held each other accountable. We were alcoholics that ended four or five nights per week doing blow or smoking crack. (I wish i spent that money on gold!!!)
But i watched many friends lose everything. One guy i knew, he hadnt even smoked a joint in his life until 43 yrs old he started with blow. Then smoked crack. Started with a nice house, half dozen nice cars, etc. Less than two years everything gone. Very sad. But again, at 43 you know better. He made a choice and has to live with it.

Crack is nasty. I should know i have smoked plenty of it. Not proud, just being honest. I was lucky enough to keep my head to the point i always paid my bills and went to work. Not sure how but i did. My best friend too. Sounds dumb but we held each other accountable. We were alcoholics that ended four or five nights per week doing blow or smoking crack. (I wish i spent that money on gold!!!)
But i watched many friends lose everything. One guy i knew, he hadnt even smoked a joint in his life until 43 yrs old he started with blow. Then smoked crack. Started with a nice house, half dozen nice cars, etc. Less than two years everything gone. Very sad. But again, at 43 you know better. He made a choice and has to live with it.

Well done, sir. So many people lose everything.

I remember this thread starting about jobs and teck.
I found this interview interesting. If they were a le to crush USA shale gas, which seems unlikely cause gov would bail them out i am sure, but that could be a boost to our resources??

@superbeast
im thinking more like a US "intervention"

typically yes, but they love and need that saudi money. As for russia, NATO admits they dont stand a chance. If that conflict ever happens, there will be no winners.
But you are right. Thats the only tool america has is the military. I just cant see it being an option this time.