Meditation experiences

Dana Brinkley

Trusted Member
Morning all! As many others, the past year has been tough. I've recently lost a few people in my life and decided that I really need to step my game up with working on my mental health. I have been told by so many people that meditation is a game changer. I've tried many videos, books, etc but cannot seem to get the hang of it. I'm looking for any advice, opinions etc on meditation and/or anything else you find helps maintain your mental health. I exercise at least once a day and eat very clean but that still doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks in advance for any recommendations ❤❤

Morning all! As many others, the past year has been tough. I've recently lost a few people in my life and decided that I really need to step my game up with working on my mental health. I have been told by so many people that meditation is a game changer. I've tried many videos, books, etc but cannot seem to get the hang of it. I'm looking for any advice, opinions etc on meditation and/or anything else you find helps maintain your mental health. I exercise at least once a day and eat very clean but that still doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks in advance for any recommendations ❤❤
For me I find smoking some weed (a hybrid or an indica) and simply layin on my bed listening to quiet music or sometimes just counting my breath (# seconds inhale, # seconds hold, # seconds exhale, # seconds hold before inhale) Ive gotten my breath so deep and slow it was almost 10 seconds per step.
Ive also found that answers to things on your mind seem to find you so effortlessly when youre in this state.
Breath work, start here!

Look up Mindfulness by Jon Kabat Zinn and if you want to go deeper, read some of the more simple stuff by Thich Nhat Hanh from Plum Village.
If you want to delve into self-realization or awakening, Don Miguel Ruiz would be a good start as his stuff dives into wisdom from the Toltecs.
You must train yourself to be able to sit. To do this, Zazen is considered the heart of Japanese Sōtō Zen Buddhist practice. Research Zazen.

Look up Mindfulness by Jon Kabat Zinn and if you want to go deeper, read some of the more simple stuff by Thich Nhat Hanh from Plum Village.
If you want to delve into self-realization or awakening, Don Miguel Ruiz would be a good start as his stuff dives into wisdom from the Toltecs.
You must train yourself to be able to sit. To do this, Zazen is considered the heart of Japanese Sōtō Zen Buddhist practice. Research Zazen.
Thich Hanh has great books and easy reads too!
Also there is a book called the 4 agreements thats also a great read and not too complex.

Most of the new age stuff out there like Tolle and Singer is far too woo woo for me, but lots of people find value in them.
At the other end of the spectrum, Sam Harris brings a very reductionist rational perspective with his "Waking up" guided meditation series.

Overall, I find Alan Watts to be best suited to my views, and he speaks in language I can relate to. He managed to get it through to me that meditation has no goal. There is no secret.
Lots of his lectures and collections available on youtube

Last edited:
Most of the new age stuff out there like Tolle and Singer is far too woo woo for me, but lots of people find value in them.
At the other end of the spectrum, Sam Harris brings a very reductionist rational perspective with his "Waking up" guided meditation series.

Overall, I find Alan Watts to be best suited to my ontology and he speaks in language I can relate to. He managed to get it through to me that meditation has no goal. There is no secret.
Lots of his lectures and collections available on youtube
Alan Watts, a man before his time with wisdom. If only more people sooner had heard his ideologies.. young parents need to mend themselves before expecting perfection feom thier children.
GABOR MATE is also a fantastic person to listen to his speeches. Highly reccomend.
💙

Over the years, on my days off, sometimes I wake up, but dont get out of bed and just reflect on my life and other things. Just lay there for like 30-45 min.
I think sometimes you need to file things to keep at peace.

The gym gets me there. Post workout, and a good post work meal, then lay down and chill. Takes me away every time. I have adhd and slight anxiety, this is a must for me as i do not treat with pharmaceuticals. It's dangerous for myself and others if i do not do this as i overthink stuff and have zero fiolter and say stuff i should not say in my career world to dogfu#$^rs. I am a patient person and can control things if going to the gym, getting endorphins flowing, eat and relax my body, i am good for about 36 hours.

I have not yet been able to master either lying or sitting still and keeping my mind from wandering if i am just lying. I am too hyper of an individual...

What i have discovered is that what i call mediation are activities where my mind is relaxed, gym, jiu jitsu and fishing. During these activities i am at peace and just "be". Other activities such as walking the dog do not qualify as meditation...for some reason when i walk the dog my mind tries to solve the world issues.

A new discovery is my CPAP machine. When i first wake in the AM, i can just lye there for 15 minutes and completely relax...i believe its the very calming feeling of having the machine basically breath deeply for you.

I say meditation and going to the gym has always helped me besides I learned not to go to the gym when I’m too upset because then I get all pumped up and I over workout and forget to listen to my body and then I’ll be injured for a week.

For me I find smoking some weed (a hybrid or an indica) and simply layin on my bed listening to quiet music or sometimes just counting my breath (# seconds inhale, # seconds hold, # seconds exhale, # seconds hold before inhale) Ive gotten my breath so deep and slow it was almost 10 seconds per step.
Ive also found that answers to things on your mind seem to find you so effortlessly when youre in this state.
Breath work, start here!
Thanks so much, unfortunately I've had bad, bad experiences with weed...it makes me anxious as heck