Lowered kidney function from keto

Maximus14

Trusted Member
So I got my blood work back today, and since starting my keto diet 3 months ago my kidney function has lowered fairly significantly.

So starting tomorrow I will be starting to lower my fats and increasing my carbohydrates.

Hoping some of the members who are better at nutrition than me can comment on why this may be happening

My daily diet usually looks like this for keto

1 cup egg whites
3 whole eggs
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Protein shake 1scoop
Creatine
Fibre
2 tbsp peanut butter or 1 oz dark chocolate

6oz red meat (steak or ground beef)
Asparagus or green beans

Shake same as before

Chicken Ceasar salad with no croutons or tuna casserole with avacado (usually swap these 2 every few days

I also fast every morning on a 12/12 or 14/10 schedule but sip either bone broth or water with Himalayan salt for calcium and potassium and sodium

Hopefully this helps others as to the importance of getting blood work even just when you change up your diet as it may not be as good for you as you think

Would you be able to post your labs.

Id take a stab that your Creatine is high? On your labs as well And your on a high protein diet? In forms of protein powderd etc.

Just guessing hear though.

Yes any high protein diet will affect kidney function. I also dont see much fats in that diet? Little bit of chese and peanut butter. Keto is not recommended for anyone with kidney disease and I believe it can lead to it. But too lazy too look.
Man I could never do keto, I could eat all that food by 10am and still be hungry.

Things you can take to improve your kidneys markers.

alpha lipoic acid - 600mg
astragalus- 500mg
Nac- 500mg- 1000mg
Ox bile or tudca - 250mg - 500mg

Id personally drop the creatine, and keep protien powders down to a scoop to 2 a day. Stay hydrated drink lots of electrolytes.

What happens to me, is i over use protien, and when my blood comes back my egfr shows 59 60 and my creatine is high, thats basically saying hey your kidneys are having a hard time filtering with the extra protien in powder form and possibly from some big heavy workouts that are also contributing to the clogged kidney ducts in form of muscle tissue breakdown.

Honestly for me i personally found diesel from perfect sports to cause less of an impact on my kidneys as other protien powders. Call this bro science or what ever but for me it seems its much cleaner protien.

My creatine and creatinine were actually in normal ranges, high end of normal, I will grab some of those supplements this week, but I think I am done with keto after this as my kidney function was fine before the diet even with the high protein
Things you can take to improve your kidneys markers.

alpha lipoic acid - 600mg
astragalus- 500mg
Nac- 500mg- 1000mg
Ox bile or tudca - 250mg - 500mg

Id personally drop the creatine, and keep protien powders down to a scoop to 2 a day. Stay hydrated drink lots of electrolytes.

What happens to me, is i over use protien, and when my blood comes back my egfr shows 59 60 and my creatine is high, thats basically saying hey your kidneys are having a hard time filtering with the extra protien in powder form and possibly from some big heavy workouts that are also contributing to the clogged kidney ducts in form of muscle tissue breakdown.

Honestly for me i personally found diesel from perfect sports to cause less of an impact on my kidneys as other protien powders. Call this bro science or what ever but for me it seems its much cleaner protien.

Did you have a training day or a bunch of training days close to the day you got your bloodwork done? If so, the best thing to do is take a few days off from training before the day you get your bloodwork done. Muscle breakdown from training can give you an inaccurate reading of your kidneys actual function.

Did you have a training day or a bunch of training days close to the day you got your bloodwork done? If so, the best thing to do is take a few days off from training before the day you get your bloodwork done. Muscle breakdown from training can give you an inaccurate reading of your kidneys actual function.
Yes I did train the day before and had been upping my cardio sessions, as well as doing my fasted cardio before the blood test...

What's your EGFR now and before keto?

Drinking more water before taking the urine test paradoxically reduces EGFR.

I'm not discounting your experience, but I've been on Keto for three years, OMAD and water fasting Mon and Thurs. My EGFR has held steady at about 110-120, Normal eGFR is described as greater than or equal to 90 ml/min/1.73 m2
I get tested several times a year because of other medical conditions.

Last edited:
What's your EGFR now and before keto?

Drinking more water before taking the urine test paradoxically reduces EGFR.

I'm not discounting your experience, but I've been on Keto for three years, OMAD and water fasting Mon and Thurs. My EGFR has held steady at about 110-120, Normal eGFR is described as greater than or equal to 90 ml/min/1.73 m2
I get tested several times a year because of other medical conditions.
This is exactly why I posted this, this side of the hobby is not exactly my area of knowledge, so naturally I got a little scared seeing the numbers as before the keto it was above 100 don't recall exact numbers, but I also wasn't doing fasted cardio daily,

And I honestly would hate to get off keto as most of my stomach issues go away when I eat this way, thank you for the response I do appreciate it