Low dosage statin to keep Cholesterol from cycle from turning into Plaque.

Devson

Trusted Member
I am curious about using a low dosage of a statin that does not have a chance to raise blood glucose levels. I mean with short cycles usually the cholesterol clears before it turns into plaque but taking a statin once a week that you don't even feel to keep your cholesterol doesn't seem like a bad idea just like taking berberin or metaformin if your blood glucose is high probably isn't a bad idea and will extend the life of your kidneys. I am probably going to try these myself just because I like my organs to remain healthy while I am on cycle. Any positives or negatives people know about would be great to hear about.

where did you read up on this?
I wouldn't start taking a statin unless you absolutely need it. I would suggest higher daily dose of fish oil. Fish oil has helped to lower my cholesterol noticeably.
I have yet to read up on it in depth but some statins do not really have many side effects and if someone is cycling half the year combined or even a quarter of a year then that means they're living with high cholestrol and its effects for that period of time. Apparently some statins you don't even need to take more than once a week. I think it would be more of a concern if someones blood lipids were steadily going up after their blood lipids drop off from coming off cycle. If further research into them proves they have no harmful side effects and it is true that some reduce chances of a few cancers and that they are not as effective the second time you take them then just like a beta blocker to reduce blood pressure while on cycle and berberin or metaformin to reduce blood sugar (both lower blood pressure and sugar helps kidneys) then I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if someone is getting it prescribed or really knows what they're doing and has the advice of doctors. Obviously diet and exercise are the most important and just because numbers on a blood test are high it doesn't necessarily mean you are as bad off as the guy with the same numbers next to you.

I take at least 5 grams of fish oil a day but would like to switch just to the EPA component of fish oil because they actually make a cholesterol medication out of it and thats the part that is good for you. I also take citrus bergamot and niacin. My diet is pretty much spot on except sometimes I eat too many berries and I eat too much ground beef I feel.

I am curious about using a low dosage of a statin that does not have a chance to raise blood glucose levels. I mean with short cycles usually the cholesterol clears before it turns into plaque but taking a statin once a week that you don't even feel to keep your cholesterol doesn't seem like a bad idea just like taking berberin or metaformin if your blood glucose is high probably isn't a bad idea and will extend the life of your kidneys. I am probably going to try these myself just because I like my organs to remain healthy while I am on cycle. Any positives or negatives people know about would be great to hear about.

I take 5mg statin a day. I was precribed this when I Was also prediabetic and told if I loose weight and stop eating carbs I could stop being prediabetic. My doctor is decent.. I do not think I would be prescribed a statin if it had a chance of raising blood sugar. My blood sugar had more potential to do me harm then my slightly higher cholesterol. I do know there;s a small chance they can, but so far hasn't shown up in my blood work.

FYI.. you can't stop metaformin if you start it. Can't recall off hand why not, but its well known once you start, your on it for life. Your liver depends on it.

I take 5mg statin a day. I was precribed this when I Was also prediabetic and told if I loose weight and stop eating carbs I could stop being prediabetic. My doctor is decent.. I do not think I would be prescribed a statin if it had a chance of raising blood sugar. My blood sugar had more potential to do me harm then my slightly higher cholesterol. I do know there;s a small chance they can, but so far hasn't shown up in my blood work.

FYI.. you can't stop metaformin if you start it. Can't recall off hand why not, but its well known once you start, your on it for life. Your liver depends on it.
Statins seem to affect women more than men in regards to raising blood glucose levels. Some people even become diabetic but it depends which ones too. Where did you read or see this about metaformin? I haven't seen anything of the sort from searching google. I think you're thinking of taking insulin for diabetes or thyroid hormone. It doesn't usually happen right away with those but when your body does become dependent on those two hormones, I am pretty sure it is for life. But the first one is only if you're diabetic I believe and basically diabetes would kill you not really insluin withdrawal or anything.

Last edited:
Statins seem to affect women more than men in regards to raising blood glucose levels. Some people even become diabetic but it depends which ones too. Where did you read or see this about metaformin? I haven't seen anything of the sort from searching google. I think you're thinking of taking insulin for diabetes or thyroid hormone. It doesn't usually happen right away with those but when your body does become dependent on those two hormones, I am pretty sure it is for life. But the first one is only if you're diabetic I believe and basically diabetes would kill you not really insluin withdrawal or anything.
Discontinued use of metformin isnt advised under most circumstances. But that’s when it’s been scripted for use to control blood sugar in pre diabetics.

this is for obvious reasons.

it can occur sure, but under the advice of a doc…. Again for obviously reasons.

taking statins like you are asking seems to be suspect at best.

Know your lipid issues. Medicate appropriately. Low or lowish infrequent dosing would seem to be best guessing and possibly pointless.

Id rather just start taking red rice yeast extract prophylactically and hope for the best.

the best approach? Know your problems. Adjust accordingly. Everything else is just guesswork.

Discontinued use of metformin isnt advised under most circumstances. But that’s when it’s been scripted for use to control blood sugar in pre diabetics.

this is for obvious reasons.

it can occur sure, but under the advice of a doc…. Again for obviously reasons.

taking statins like you are asking seems to be suspect at best.

Know your lipid issues. Medicate appropriately. Low or lowish infrequent dosing would seem to be best guessing and possibly pointless.

Id rather just start taking red rice yeast extract prophylactically and hope for the best.

the best approach? Know your problems. Adjust accordingly. Everything else is just guesswork.
I will check out red yeast extract.

leo longevity has a great YT video he posted about this this week "the supraphysiological man" cast i believe

I've been on Statin's for a lot of years and at the end of an oral cycle a month ago I had an ultrasound done of my arteries checking for any sort of plaque buildup due to family history of high cholesterol and plaque buildup and my arteries were virtually clear.

leo longevity has a great YT video he posted about this this week "the supraphysiological man" cast i believe
I've been on Statin's for a lot of years and at the end of an oral cycle a month ago I had an ultrasound done of my arteries checking for any sort of plaque buildup due to family history of high cholesterol and plaque buildup and my arteries were virtually clear.

I like Leo Longevity but I have caught him a few times where he was very wrong. He actually mentioned after that he does make mistakes. It was a good lesson for me to remember to do my own research, sometimes even a quick google search will prove someone wrong.

@Fcun I am on acne medication that raises your cholesterol as well, it takes along time for it to turn into plaque and same with blood glucose being high and getting diabetes. I still think a statin and berberin to bring both my levels back to a healthy or low level for a few weeks to remove some of the old stuff that has been sitting might be a good idea considering my cholesterol and my blood glucose is going to be high for 6 months more likely.

Becareful with orals, I meet more and more people that have really messed themselves up permanently with them. They are probably going to die... If not right away then definitely a few decades off their life. Once in awhile for two weeks might be alright.

Statins can be very hard on the liver. I know a few people who are on them and they have to get regular liver blood work every 6 months. Of course this isn't the case for everyone but it is a known side effect. If you are already stressing your liver with PED's, it would add more stress - just something to consider.
@DeviousD mentioned a safer option. If you want to help your cholesterol on cycle and want some supplement suggestions please say so and I can either list them or just attach pages from some of the ND books I have.

The theory sounds OK if you are monitoring your liver regularly but if you aren't, I would look for another option.

Always good to be thinking of your health @Devson and its good your looking after your organs.

take care,
GR

Statins can be very hard on the liver. I know a few people who are on them and they have to get regular liver blood work every 6 months. Of course this isn't the case for everyone but it is a known side effect. If you are already stressing your liver with PED's, it would add more stress - just something to consider.
@DeviousD mentioned a safer option. If you want to help your cholesterol on cycle and want some supplement suggestions please say so and I can either list them or just attach pages from some of the ND books I have.

The theory sounds OK if you are monitoring your liver regularly but if you aren't, I would look for another option.

Always good to be thinking of your health @Devson and its good your looking after your organs.

take care,
GR
That is the type of info I was looking to hear. I did not know they could be hard on your liver and I am not sure if I would of found that info before trying them. I am getting my liver, lipids, blood glucose, and kidneys monitored every month right now.

I absolutely would love to hear some of your supplement recommendations. I know they can be a pain to write out but I will defintiely take a screenshot of it so I don't lose it. I am most interested in stuff for lipids, blood pressure and definitely heart rate as mine is always quite high. In my thread, "https://www.canadianbrawn.com/threa...-loose-skin-and-fixing-acne.7711/#post-162533" I list the supplements I already take in case you are wondering. You don't even need to say what each one is for I can read up on them when I have more time but I definitely would like to see the puzzle pieces I am missing.

That is the type of info I was looking to hear. I did not know they could be hard on your liver and I am not sure if I would of found that info before trying them. I am getting my liver, lipids, blood glucose, and kidneys monitored every month right now.

I absolutely would love to hear some of your supplement recommendations. I know they can be a pain to write out but I will defintiely take a screenshot of it so I don't lose it. I am most interested in stuff for lipids, blood pressure and definitely heart rate as mine is always quite high. In my thread, "https://www.canadianbrawn.com/threa...-loose-skin-and-fixing-acne.7711/#post-162533" I list the supplements I already take in case you are wondering. You don't even need to say what each one is for I can read up on them when I have more time but I definitely would like to see the puzzle pieces I am missing.
Goldenrod gives some of the best, thought provoking info on supps and preventative measures you'll find. On top of whatever he responds to hear I'd recommend searching his posts for more info. Obviously a huge subject with many tangents, he has brought up a few things that I have either never considered or forgotten the importance of over time.

Goldenrod gives some of the best, thought provoking info on supps and preventative measures you'll find. On top of whatever he responds to hear I'd recommend searching his posts for more info. Obviously a huge subject with many tangents, he has brought up a few things that I have either never considered or forgotten the importance of over time.
Kind words from a person everyone should respect - thank you @gondar1.

Morning Devson,
I looked at the tread and it says you are taking:
Supplements : Alpha lipoic acid 600mg to 1 gram, Digestive enzymes, 10 grams fish oil from a bottle, 1000mg vitamin c and zinc (make sure to take zinc separate from other minerals), magnesium citrate 150mg, vitamin e 400iu, vitamin d and k, Milk thistle, NAC, 600mg coenzyme q10 (just buy ubiqionol and take 100mg), b vitamin complex, sometimes progressive multivitamins, glucosmine, MSM, chrondrotin , GABA for sleep with niacin to help it pass the blood brain barrier, 20 grams collagen, choline and inositol, potassium and hawthorn berry extract, Reshi mushroom extract, also astragalus extract , I sometimes throw in some other stuff but I don't think all of this stuff is necessary but I wanted to kind of do a big run and then just cruise on a few good supplements :)

I didn't read the entire thread but I think I caught you are around 50, is that correct? What is your BP and resting heart rate? Unless it is genetic issue that requires medication there is no reason you should have high BP or a high resting heart rate.
What are you taking for PED's?

This is a thread of members listing their BP - https://www.canadianbrawn.com/threads/whats-your-blood-pressure-today.2956/page-34#post-163184

I dropped the number of supplements I take considerably but still take a few with my breakfast and dinner meal. I tend to rotate a handful but there are about 5-10 (rotates) I take everyday because of the science behind them.
I think its great your looking after your health with supplements but you are taking a lot. It is best to try to get as much of your vitamins and minerals from food but there are a few that are great to have in your tool box.
Sorry if you already answered these questions but I haven't read all the threads. Happy to make some suggestions on supplements but I am not a ND or a doctor so take everything I list for what it is - what worked for me. If you don't mind answering those questions or sending me a PM it would be helpful.
take care,
GR

Morning Devson,
I looked at the tread and it says you are taking:
Supplements : Alpha lipoic acid 600mg to 1 gram, Digestive enzymes, 10 grams fish oil from a bottle, 1000mg vitamin c and zinc (make sure to take zinc separate from other minerals), magnesium citrate 150mg, vitamin e 400iu, vitamin d and k, Milk thistle, NAC, 600mg coenzyme q10 (just buy ubiqionol and take 100mg), b vitamin complex, sometimes progressive multivitamins, glucosmine, MSM, chrondrotin , GABA for sleep with niacin to help it pass the blood brain barrier, 20 grams collagen, choline and inositol, potassium and hawthorn berry extract, Reshi mushroom extract, also astragalus extract , I sometimes throw in some other stuff but I don't think all of this stuff is necessary but I wanted to kind of do a big run and then just cruise on a few good supplements :)

I didn't read the entire thread but I think I caught you are around 50, is that correct? What is your BP and resting heart rate? Unless it is genetic issue that requires medication there is no reason you should have high BP or a high resting heart rate.
What are you taking for PED's?

This is a thread of members listing their BP - https://www.canadianbrawn.com/threads/whats-your-blood-pressure-today.2956/page-34#post-163184

I dropped the number of supplements I take considerably but still take a few with my breakfast and dinner meal. I tend to rotate a handful but there are about 5-10 (rotates) I take everyday because of the science behind them.
I think its great your looking after your health with supplements but you are taking a lot. It is best to try to get as much of your vitamins and minerals from food but there are a few that are great to have in your tool box.
Sorry if you already answered these questions but I haven't read all the threads. Happy to make some suggestions on supplements but I am not a ND or a doctor so take everything I list for what it is - what worked for me. If you don't mind answering those questions or sending me a PM it would be helpful.
take care,
GR

Thank you for the reply, I am actually 30 years of age. If I put 50 somewhere then that was an accident or I was being weary because I have ran into some people off of forums before, luckily nothing bad but its pretty weird. My blood pressure on the home device I have which may be off is around 135-145, the bottom number was around 70 sometimes lower but usually not higher than 70 my resting heart rate is almost always around 100. I think it may be due to how used to releasing adrenaline my body is from having anxiety and panic attacks. But that is not while having a panic attack.

The machines at the pharmacy seem to always read around 118 for the top number for me. I need to use my friends blood pressure monitor to compare the three.

I am taking 500 test and 500 NPP, 12.5mg exemestane once a week and sometimes I double that dosage if I am starting to get estrogen related side effects. My blood pressure is still a little high 130-135 when I am just taking 100mg test once a week. I also have a lady friend with high blood pressure who would benefit from this as well!

Hope you have a good Friday and enjoy the weekend!

Thank you for the reply, I am actually 30 years of age. If I put 50 somewhere then that was an accident or I was being weary because I have ran into some people off of forums before, luckily nothing bad but its pretty weird. My blood pressure on the home device I have which may be off is around 135-145, the bottom number was around 70 sometimes lower but usually not higher than 70 my resting heart rate is almost always around 100. I think it may be due to how used to releasing adrenaline my body is from having anxiety and panic attacks. But that is not while having a panic attack.

The machines at the pharmacy seem to always read around 118 for the top number for me. I need to use my friends blood pressure monitor to compare the three.

I am taking 500 test and 500 NPP, 12.5mg exemestane once a week and sometimes I double that dosage if I am starting to get estrogen related side effects. My blood pressure is still a little high 130-135 when I am just taking 100mg test once a week. I also have a lady friend with high blood pressure who would benefit from this as well!

Hope you have a good Friday and enjoy the weekend!
If you have a resting heart rate of 100, that is a problem. If it is caused by chronic stress/anxiety please see your doctor. If it is due to stress hormones being released I would recommend trying an adaptogen mix like Serenity by Natural Factors. Don't expect anything magical in a day or two and you won't feel the difference. It will probably take a few weeks to kick in but will help your body deal with stress and as such reduce your fight or flight hormones, and with time help your BP and resting heart rate. If your higher BP and RHR is anxiety related, see your doctor and talk to a therapist - no embarrassment in getting help.
I'm not going to be dramatic but don't ignore this, a resting heart rate of 100 over an extended period of time may result in health issues.

I will reply to BP issues, otherwise I will end up writing a book here and boring the shit out of you.
1. low dose aspirin taken at night (must be taken at night) can help a lot. Up to you as aspirin carries bleeding / ulcer side effects.
2. If you don't want to take aspirin - 10,000 mg of combined EPA/DHA fish oil. Don't go by the fancy label on the front that says 1,000 mg of fish oil per pill. Read the label and add up the EPA and DHA and take as many pills as needed to hit 10,000 and titrate the dosage down as your BP gets under control. I like Carleson's because of its high EPA/DHA content.
3. Take a few 15 minutes walks after meals - just try it for a few weeks. Obviously cardio is great for BP but I assume your already doing this. This is in addition to the cardio.
This may be enough to get your BP into ideal range. If it doesn't -
4. I like Nigella Sativa - a lot of double blind studies showing it can drop your BP by 10 points. Also knows as black seed oil. Do a search and read about the dosages used in the studies.
5. Ubiquinol - 200 mg a day to 800 mg a day.

There are a lot of other herbs/supplements but I think taking too many can be overkill. You won't know which one is working for you. I prefer to take one for a week or two and check my BP. If it doesn't work, then I add in another and so on. I suspect all items above are safe with the exception of aspirin. Some people can't take aspirin and many people get the same effect with fish oil. I wouldn't take both - just pick one.

You should concentrate on getting your BP as close to the ideal range and your resting heart rate down. if you want help on protection for your liver/kidneys/lipids, happy to make some suggestions but please take them for what they are - just suggestions. I have no letters after my name indicating I can prescribe anything so do some research before you make any decisions.

- I haven't used it but I know a lot of guys who swear by carditone. I can't say much about it but I know a few smart lads that use it religiously.

Good luck,
GR

Last edited:
If you have a resting heart rate of 100, that is a problem. If it is caused by chronic stress/anxiety please see your doctor. If it is due to stress hormones being released I would recommend trying an adaptogen mix like Serenity by Natural Factors. Don't expect anything magical in a day or two and you won't feel the difference. It will probably take a few weeks to kick in but will help your body deal with stress and as such reduce your fight or flight hormones, and with time help your BP and resting heart rate. If your higher BP and RHR is anxiety related, see your doctor and talk to a therapist - no embarrassment in getting help.
I'm not going to be dramatic but don't ignore this, a resting heart rate of 100 over an extended period of time may result in health issues.

I will reply to BP issues, otherwise I will end up writing a book here and boring the shit out of you.
1. low dose aspirin taken at night (must be taken at night) can help a lot. Up to you as aspirin carries bleeding / ulcer side effects.
2. If you don't want to take aspirin - 10,000 mg of combined EPA/DHA fish oil. Don't go by the fancy label on the front that says 1,000 mg of fish oil per pill. Read the label and add up the EPA and DHA and take as many pills as needed to hit 10,000 and titrate the dosage down as your BP gets under control. I like Carleson's because of its high EPA/DHA content.
3. Take a few 15 minutes walks after meals - just try it for a few weeks. Obviously cardio is great for BP but I assume your already doing this. This is in addition to the cardio.
This may be enough to get your BP into ideal range. If it doesn't -
4. I like Nigella Sativa - a lot of double blind studies showing it can drop your BP by 10 points. Also knows as black seed oil. Do a search and read about the dosages used in the studies.
5. Ubiquinol - 200 mg a day to 800 mg a day.

There are a lot of other herbs/supplements but I think taking too many can be overkill. You won't know which one is working for you. I prefer to take one for a week or two and check my BP. If it doesn't work, then I add in another and so on. I suspect all items above are safe with the exception of aspirin. Some people can't take aspirin and many people get the same effect with fish oil. I wouldn't take both - just pick one.

You should concentrate on getting your BP as close to the ideal range and your resting heart rate down. if you want help on protection for your liver/kidneys/lipids, happy to make some suggestions but please take them for what they are - just suggestions. I have no letters after my name indicating I can prescribe anything so do some research before you make any decisions.

- I haven't used it but I know a lot of guys who swear by carditone. I can't say much about it but I know a few smart lads that use it religiously.

Good luck,
GR
Thank you, I have mentioned it to a few doctors but I think they just think, "Yeah right" especially with it all on telehealth right now. I think you are right about that I need to focus primarily on that because it obviously isn't working just mentioning it I will have to drill it into a few different doctors heads. I take some of the stuff you recommended but not religiously so I will check my heart rate again and then add in a few extra things. I also have the serenity blend of herbs but like you said I didn't feel it but its good to know it might be lowering BP. I will try to log it here as well. Thanks again!

Thank you, I have mentioned it to a few doctors but I think they just think, "Yeah right" especially with it all on telehealth right now. I think you are right about that I need to focus primarily on that because it obviously isn't working just mentioning it I will have to drill it into a few different doctors heads. I take some of the stuff you recommended but not religiously so I will check my heart rate again and then add in a few extra things. I also have the serenity blend of herbs but like you said I didn't feel it but its good to know it might be lowering BP. I will try to log it here as well. Thanks again!
Your welcome - if you tell a doctor you have a consistent resting HR of 100 and they don't pay attention go to another doctor. Are you not able to visit a doctor in person as you mention telehealth? The availability of telehealth is great but it can't replace a doctor who knows you and cares.

good luck.