Krav Maga

DeezNutz

Trusted Member
What’s up Ladies and Gents,

It’s time for me to find another hobby. I’ve been tinkering with the idea of getting into Krav Maga and was hoping some of you may be in the know.

My main questions being:
A. How do I best choose a Krav Maga instructor?
B. What questions should I ask them to qualify their capabilities?
C. What qualifications should I be looking for?

I did Google this but wanted some advice from those of you who may train in this combat style.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe I am out of touch here but I haven’t seen much from this martial art that seems practical. Every expert and instructor on YouTube looks like an out of shape nerd.

Why not bjj? Judo, boxing etc?

Shop around and take a free class or two at various places. Go by feel and what you notice in the way of skill in the students as well as the teacher. Some of the Best Krav Maga guys rent space and time at various Dojo's instead of having their own club, so keep that in mind.
You also want to find a Krav Maga group that is constantly evolving and not stuck in the early days of the system. Self defense systems need to constantly evolve to maintain their effectiveness. Bad guys are always evolving.
Where do you live?

Shop around and take a free class or two at various places. Go by feel and what you notice in the way of skill in the students as well as the teacher. Some of the Best Krav Maga guys rent space and time at various Dojo's instead of having their own club, so keep that in mind.
You also want to find a Krav Maga group that is constantly evolving and not stuck in the early days of the system. Self defense systems need to constantly evolve to maintain their effectiveness. Bad guys are always evolving.
Where do you live?

Sound advice @Bagua . Thanks!

I live in Toronto and I’m eyeing two spots at the moment. Both have long histories in the city and are highly regarded by a few elite private security pros I’ve spoken to.

I’m going to take an intro at both and gage some of the points you’ve brought up.

Cheers Man!

I live in Toronto and I’m eyeing two spots at the moment. Both have long histories in the city and are highly regarded by a few elite private security pros I’ve spoken to.

I’m going to take an intro at both and gage some of the points you’ve brought up.

Cheers Man!

What two? There are some good Krav Maga guys that work out of MMA clubs in TO.

The Israelis take credit for this system.

100 %. It's come a long way since it's foundation back in the 30's. It was almost a poor man's Jiu Jutsu back then. Almost like Combato.

Maybe I am out of touch here but I haven’t seen much from this martial art that seems practical. Every expert and instructor on YouTube looks like an out of shape nerd.

Why not bjj? Judo, boxing etc?

NVM was thinking of systema

Cheers Man!
REV MMA in Vaughn... Ranny is a beast.

100 %. It's come a long way since it's foundation back in the 30's. It was almost a poor man's Jiu Jutsu back then. Almost like Combato.
I read that the Hungarians first developed some hand to hand techniques.The Brits employed some methods that the Germans described as gangster fighting.Italian special forces preceded the Brits by a short time according to my info.My bet is that the Brits trained the first Jewish commandos.

I read that the Hungarians first developed some hand to hand techniques.The Brits employed some methods that the Germans described as gangster fighting.Italian special forces preceded the Brits by a short time according to my info.My bet is that the Brits trained the first Jewish commandos.

Look up the Jewish Brigade.

Yup,there were earlier instances of Jewish soldiers being specially trained and sent for various missions as well.Battle of Keren comes to mind,various plots in North Africa,Palestine.Many of these were conducted without uniforms......

Yup,there were earlier instances of Jewish soldiers being specially trained and sent for various missions as well.Battle of Keren comes to mind,various plots in North Africa,Palestine.Many of these were conducted without uniforms......

Yep and then they all became Irgun Terrorists and blew up the King David Hotel. The Mid-East is such a hoot.

Jeez man. You know you are old when you have more experience than the combined experience of the teachers in some of these Clubs. :eek:

Check out the directory at Commando Krav Maga. They do amazing boot camps too. I’ve seen men break at these camps