KOC- KILLERS OF CANADA

Nobody want the trades anymore because it is turning into a bad investment.
I will use an Auto Technician for example.
Go to school. Pay stupid cost for the trade school. Struggle to find someone to take you as an apprentice. Now right off the bat, like before your first day, you have to invest/go in debt for thousands more dollars on top of school debt, to buy tools. A tool box, etc. For example, just one decent 1/2” drive impact wrench now cost upwards of $700. Thats a lot of money for a position that pays barely above minimum wage. So you starve for most of the year just to go to work.
Now time for school again. To do this you go on EI. So you were barely getting by before, now you are living off scraps. You repeat this cycle for four years. And for what? When its all done you probably owe as much as a law student when you factor in all the tools and shit. Then go work at a dealership for flat rate. The faster you get the more money you make. Then the manufacture sees techs are making time off the repairs, so they slash the time in half. Now you bought the tools, spent an hour and a half of your time and get paid 0.5hrs. Something goes wrong, whether your fault or not and the vehicle comes back with same issue and now you are fixing with no pay. But still providing the tools.
No option for a union, except some places in Ont. Next to no health and safety representation. Dust, chemicals, climate conditions ( car full of snow dripping on you all winter before you go back outside. No a/c in summer when its 30 deg and you are working on a hot engine that has been running all day. )
Why would anyone in their right mind sign up for that shit?
Then you cant find workers. So you outsource. Bring in a dozen guys from the Philippines. They work for a month, you sign their competency booklet and now they get to bypass the four years apprenticeship and write the interprovincial exam. Seems fair, right?
Exxxxxactlly.
Go to school too spend thousands off dollors....work at walmart cause the job you went to sxhool for pays dick all.
Hell im workin for half my wage right now. I cNt even afford to work ? Crazy

Go to school. Pay stupid cost for the trade school. Struggle to find someone to take you as an apprentice. Now right off the bat, like before your first day, you have to invest/go in debt for thousands more dollars on top of school debt, to buy tools. A tool box, etc. For example, just one decent 1/2” drive impact wrench now cost upwards of $700. Thats a lot of money for a position that pays barely above minimum wage. So you starve for most of the year just to go to work.
Now time for school again. To do this you go on EI. So you were barely getting by before, now you are living off scraps. You repeat this cycle for four years. And for what? When its all done you probably owe as much as a law student when you factor in all the tools and shit. Then go work at a dealership for flat rate. The faster you get the more money you make. Then the manufacture sees techs are making time off the repairs, so they slash the time in half. Now you bought the tools, spent an hour and a half of your time and get paid 0.5hrs. Something goes wrong, whether your fault or not and the vehicle comes back with same issue and now you are fixing with no pay. But still providing the tools.
No option for a union, except some places in Ont. Next to no health and safety representation. Dust, chemicals, climate conditions ( car full of snow dripping on you all winter before you go back outside. No a/c in summer when its 30 deg and you are working on a hot engine that has been running all day. )
Then you cant find workers. So you outsource. Bring in a dozen guys from the Philippines. They work for a month, you sign their competency booklet and now they get to bypass the four years apprenticeship and write the interprovincial exam. Seems fair, right?

Trades in Winnipeg are very different. You work for X amount of hours before your first class in order to upgrade. School is $500 per session. At the completion of your second or third session, you get money back from the government to put towards tools, up to $1500 total. While going to school you collect Unemployment. Basic trades like plumbing, electrical, carpentry you're not expected to spend a lot on tools to get started as a level 1. Don't see a lot of immigrants on job sites at all. I can't speak for Auto Tech, tho.

Addy!!!!!! Do you sleep!!!!? Lol your up all nite with me and your still up lol ....wait so am i
Oh yea I sleep.. for like 3 hours lolol. Trensomnia sucks ass, literally the only negative thing I find with tren so far otherwise I feel awesome. Oh and sweating but thats not really a problem.

ambrose was just a female Scheer, more of the same political status quo garbage. Bernier was the only properly principled candidate who brought real change, and they buried him, and now the party sucks. Conservatives now are just soft core liberals.
I like Scheer. Do not like Bernier.
And the conservatives of old will never win. Society has changed. The soft core liberals are what most of society wants now. I think it’s a shame but a sign of the times.
Just like now people want more of their meals prepared. I can hate that all I want, but if I don’t follow the trend, my business would become a relic of the past.

Yep auto technician has turned into a joke, the only good jobs are at stealerships and certain high performance shops that get constant business. Good for a hobby but otherwise its a terrible money and time investment.

If anyone likes slivers, hitting your thumb, working at heights and in the freezing rain 75% of the year (or the humid summer heat) then I would suggest carpentry/residential construction. Most of the guys I worked with never went to school but were making over 30$ an hour depnding on their skill. But it can be quite stressful and hard work on certain jobs, sometimes it was very very easy work. My really nice german foreman would bring us scones and coffee from time to time. Though my bosses were always greedy selfish pieces of shit on the other hand.

Trades in Winnipeg are very different. You work for X amount of hours before your first class in order to upgrade. School is $500 per session. At the completion of your second or third session, you get money back from the government to put towards tools, up to $1500 total. While going to school you collect Unemployment. Basic trades like plumbing, electrical, carpentry you're not expected to spend a lot on tools to get started as a level 1. Don't see a lot of immigrants on job sites at all. I can't speak for Auto Tech, tho.

Yeah. Electrical, plumbing and carpentry arent terrible. Dont need much for tools.
I have always been against providing the tools if you do nOt own the shop
An equipment operator does not bring his own back hoe. An office worker does not bring his own desk and computer.
Anyone can claim up to $1000 i think for trade tools. But in the end that really is nothing compared to what you are required to spend.

Watch tren and the depression,
Yea noticed that definitely hits me sometimes at night, feel amazing after my daily pin in the mornings though. Combined with a monster energy drink and some eggs.. WEEEEW feel like a newborn baby👼

Pipefitters, Millwrights, electricians etc are not in the same boat as auto mechs.
I pay all of my apprentices to go to school. They do not go on EI. Trades are in huge demand right now. I always have many I require. HD mechs, millwrights, welders etc. etc. They make 48 bucks an hour and ot through the roof. I had to go on EI to get my trades, I had to work my ass off everyday to get my apprenticeships.
BUT, trades are the way to go right now. Lots and lots of work out there.
Obviously I am no longer on tools, as there is a ton of room for growth if you are bright, hard working and like to be a leader, the sky is the limit.
Most of my trades guys are in the 140-180,000 range per year.
Definitely not as much for school and tools as a lawyers school loans....lololol..
I agree with some of what you write, but this is whack brother, way off base and horrible analogy's. You may need to take a breath and think on this one a bit more.....lolol
Other than auto trades if you are in big industry or big construction, one will never be out of work unless one chooses to be.
Auto mechs get hooped working for dealers, go out on their own and do very well, They are unfortunately in a different league of trades.

Not just WPG, that is where I started as I lived near there most of my life...All trades are as you said, get paid back for education and sponsored for tooling etc....
Trades are where it is at, no doubt about it.

Pipefitters, Millwrights, electricians etc are not in the same boat as auto mechs.
I pay all of my apprentices to go to school. They do not go on EI. Trades are in huge demand right now. I always have many I require. HD mechs, millwrights, welders etc. etc. They make 48 bucks an hour and ot through the roof. I had to go on EI to get my trades, I had to work my ass off everyday to get my apprenticeships.
Obviously I am no longer on tools, as there is a ton of room for growth if you are bright, hard working and like to be a leader, the sky is the limit.
Definitely not as much for school and tools as a lawyers school loans....lololol..
I agree with some of what you write, but this is whack brother, way off base and horrible analogy's. You may need to take a breath and think on this one a bit more.....lolol
Other than auto trades if you are in big industry or big construction, one will never be out of work unless one chooses to be.
Auto mechs get hooped working for dealers, go out on their own and do very well, They are unfortunately in a different league of trades.
This is probably a stupid question but how does one find a apprenticeship without previous school experiece and where the employer will pay for you to go to school? Ive only ever worked construction for trade jobs and if you wanted to be an apprentice it went like this.. 1. get enough hours on the job 2. go to school for apprentice program but pay out of your own pocket and hope you saved enough money 3. complete the 2 month course 4. go back to work and repeat this process until you are a journeyman

A little meme fun why not....

And then I said, "Well you can claim the carbon tax back on a new impact wrench"

1wtkd5.jpg

This is probably a stupid question but how does one find a apprenticeship without previous school experiece and where the employer will pay for you to go to school? Ive only ever worked construction for trade jobs and if you wanted to be an apprentice it went like this..
1. get enough hours on the job, you can go to school and then get hours afterwards. But typically have to have a natural knack for it or be hard working and show up everyday and not whine when working hard etc. Or know somebody...
2. go to school for apprentice program but pay out of your own pocket and hope you saved enough money.
If you haven't saved enough money, then that is on you, many times EI kicks in and pays for books etc and your claim supports you in school, or you work for a big company and get paid full wages while in school, I do this for my apprentices.
3. complete the 2 month course yup and pass
4. go back to work and repeat this process until you are a journeyman, yes go back with a raise for the next level and continue on until a journeyman, a journeyman is now a ticket to learn and do things on your own and think for yourself a bit more, unfortunately many kids think journeyman means they know everything and stall out in learning and get an ego that is unwarranted, but there are several that figure it out and go on to great things and amazing projects and experiences.
You cannot go to school until you are in an apprenticeship.
Pre employment classes work well to get a foot in the door.
If you work at one of the companies I do. I post up for apprenticeships. I have folks do a test to see if they have the aptitude for whichever apprenticeship is posted. No jokes about welder tests....lolol
Then I have them test the waters for awhile with a 6 month timeframe to go back to their previous position and then apprenticeship goes to next person on the list. If union facilities I typically try and work with the executives to get it so it is not senior person as I have had guys with 2 yrs left to go until retiring take guys apprenticeships and pull the pin and get half completed. ruined another persons opportunity.
I replied in your quote above to your question...

ADDY, many folks go work for mining companies, pulp and paper, pulp, sawmills, gas and oil companies, hydro generation, nuclear power and on and on etc. Companies. Then apply for apprenticeships and get paid full wages while in school. Lots and lots of companies do this. If their management has any clue at all, they are offering apprenticeships in house for their trades. promotes all kinds of great things. I will hire outside for a journeyman, but typically apprentices are homegrown and they will stick around after getting red seal.
Some will leave to explore and use journeyman status to gain all kinds of life experiences and I am ok with that as you cannot keep 100%, but if you are a good manager and keep things good so they can learn and train and communicate with them, a lot will stick around, or follow their manager they respect to other locales...;^)

ADDY, many folks go work for mining companies, pulp and paper, pulp, sawmills, gas and oil companies, hydro generation, nuclear power and on and on etc. Companies. Then apply for apprenticeships and get paid full wages while in school. Lots and lots of companies do this. If their management has any clue at all, they are offering apprenticeships in house for their trades. promotes all kinds of great things. I will hire outside for a journeyman, but typically apprentices are homegrown and they will stick around after getting red seal.
Some will leave to explore and use journeyman status to gain all kinds of life experiences and I am ok with that as you cannot keep 100%, but if you are a good manager and keep things good so they can learn and train and communicate with them, a lot will stick around, or follow their manager they respect to other locales...;^)
That all makes sense to me, thanks for taking the time to explain I appreciate it. Wasnt entirely sure if the other trades did it differently than carpenters.

That all makes sense to me, thanks for taking the time to explain I appreciate it. Wasnt entirely sure if the other trades did it differently than carpenters.
Home building trades are getting shit on right now.
At least one major homebuilder based here in Calgary is a billionaire.And still cutting whenever they can.

Home building trades are getting shit on right now.
At least one major homebuilder based here in Calgary is a billionaire.And still cutting whenever they can.
Yes, that is horrible to see. As well as ironworkers, lots of pre engineered buildings are around now, throw away the spud wrench and welders, just hire someone that can turn a nut with a wrench now. I get it as far as business goes, but it is still sad to see these things happen.

i am talking specifically about Auto. I have done auto, HD off road, HD truck and trailer, some millwright. They are different.
I agree trades are the way to go over university. But not automotive. There is a reason why there is a shortage across Canada. Same reason i moved up
North. Anywhere else is doesnt pay shit. Where ive been last dozen years has paid me very well, but had to move away from all friends and family if wanted more than an apartment and a $1000 car.
I am past the tools. No matter what my situation i will never go back on the floor doing that job. May sound dumb but i would go without before ever going back to that shit. I hate it that much. Lol

i am talking specifically about Auto. I have done auto, HD off road, HD truck and trailer, some millwright. They are different.
I agree trades are the way to go over university. But not automotive. There is a reason why there is a shortage across Canada. Same reason i moved up
North. Anywhere else is doesnt pay shit. Where ive been last dozen years has paid me very well, but had to move away from all friends and family if wanted more than an apartment and a $1000 car.
I am past the tools. No matter what my situation i will never go back on the floor doing that job. May sound dumb but i would go without before ever going back to that shit. I hate it that much. Lol
I just worked on my car yesterday and my back is royally fucked now, I cannot imagine doing that everyday although I have a bad back compared to most. I also get very pissed off when something doesnt come undone/work properly, did a wheel bearing a while ago and never want to do that shit again...