KN95 masks?

Rocky

Trusted Member
Saw Costco has KN95 masks on sale
Anyone use these or know if they’re as efficient as N95 masks?

theyre not much more than places selling disposable regular masks so figured I’d buy some

Chinese version of n95
Exactly.

They subscribe to the Chinese version of NIOSH which isn’t the same. It is not recognized as equivalency. It’s not essentially worse, but not the same. You can compare the standards if you wish. In one way at least you could say the Chinese std is better because they actually perform live testing vs. Simulated in the NIOSH one. But the issue, well at least the main one is below.

The issue with kn95 usually is fit. They are narrower and often fail both qualitative and quantitative fit testing because they don’t seal to the face properly. Especially, and this is going to sound bad - but it’s not supposed to sound that way - for non asians or people with generally narrower bone structure in the face/ overall structure. A real problem in healthcare where women are the dominant workforce.

As such, here in NA they are approved for use as a procedural mask, but not for use in higher risk settings where N95 is required. Things like agmp’s where dealing with covid positive people etc.

They do apparently perform as well as procedural Astm type 1’s though.

Exactly.

They subscribe to the Chinese version of NIOSH which isn’t the same. It is not recognized as equivalency. It’s not essentially worse, but not the same. You can compare the standards if you wish. In one way at least you could say the Chinese std is better because they actually perform live testing vs. Simulated in the NIOSH one. But the issue, well at least the main one is below.

The issue with kn95 usually is fit. They are narrower and often fail both qualitative and quantitative fit testing because they don’t seal to the face properly. Especially, and this is going to sound bad - but it’s not supposed to sound that way - for non asians or people with generally narrower bone structure in the face/ overall structure. A real problem in healthcare where women are the dominant workforce.

As such, here in NA they are approved for use as a procedural mask, but not for use in higher risk settings where N95 is required. Things like agmp’s where dealing with covid positive people etc.

They do apparently perform as well as procedural Astm type 1’s though.

ya basically what I said
Lmao

Bummer after further research it seems the Costco ones were recalled
I’ll just stick to the regular procedure masks

My construction site considers them equivalent for use in tight quarters, so far 0 cases traced to our site out on our site in general with hundreds of workers. I’d expect they are close to being as good.

My construction site considers them equivalent for use in tight quarters, so far 0 cases traced to our site out on our site in general with hundreds of workers. I’d expect they are close to being as good.

They would be more than fine for use under usual circumstances. Even if working directly with confirmed covid positive people. Just not for things like agmp’s.

For general use they are probably overkill. So if you’re not a doctor or a dentist doing some pretty invasive work or anyone assisting them.... you’re good!