is my TSH off?

hussein

Trusted Member
so basically, I feel like my metabolism is slow by 200-400 cals. and my thyroid numbers are as follows:

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH]2.260.32-4.00mIU/L
Thyroxine Free [Free T4]139-19pmol/L
Triiodothyronine Free [Free T3]4.72.6-5.8pmol/L

I have tested them 5 times in total and the numbers all always pretty similar except for one time TSH was 4.22
from my research, they say a good TSH is around 1. I want to know what you guys think

@Harley00 you seem to have a pretty good handle on thyroid related stuff.

But also OP I think this is something you should bring up with your doctor or an endo

@Harley00 you seem to have a pretty good handle on thyroid related stuff.

But also OP I think this is something you should bring up with your doctor or an endo
already brought it up to many doctors and they say im normal. so I gave up. I wanna get an opinion from someone here though

I want to get mine checked when i go to the doctor next. I feel its low now. I am 35 and I have been stuck the same weight since january, no matter how much i train, diet etc. my mom had low thyroid

so basically, I feel like my metabolism is slow by 200-400 cals. and my thyroid numbers are as follows:

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH]2.260.32-4.00mIU/L
Thyroxine Free [Free T4]139-19pmol/L
Triiodothyronine Free [Free T3]4.72.6-5.8pmol/L

I have tested them 5 times in total and the numbers all always pretty similar except for one time TSH was 4.22
from my research, they say a good TSH is around 1. I want to know what you guys think
Are you on thyroids meds now?
Have you ever taking them.

Do you have reverse t3 blood work.
Did you do.your anti bodies blood work (tpo- and- tgab)

A tsh over 2.5 is a indicator to start finding out your issue, based on those numbers on your ft4 if your natural with never touching meds, your ok

Your ft3 is border line ok for never touching thyroid meds.

If your on thyroid meds this is a different story.

what changed woth the last tsh that was 4 to this test that was 2 ?
Were ypu on a cycle then? Are you on one now, be specific, having an underlying issue with your thyroid, and taking testosterone and compounds can make an underlying issue worse, i need time lines etc amd more info.

Do you have any other blood work

Please post up your most recent.
How was the last blood work etc

Etc need details it doesn't take long for tsh to rise

Last edited:
I never took thyroid meds
those numbers are from 2019 sept. I kept going to many doctors trying to figure out what my issue was and so I did many blood tests in the span of couple months, the results im showing here are from that time period, never did any recent bloodwork though
reverse t3 was 25.7ng/dL (range 9.2-24.1)
got diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and upper back at this time
was 55% bodyfat at the time and training hard in the gym
was 20 yrs old at the time, now 22
testosterone was 9nmol/l at the time of those blood tests. never on cycle or took any hormone
now taking trt
was 55% bodyfat at the time 240lbs at 5'7
thyroid peroxidase AB <10kIU/L (range <35)
thyroid binding globulin 344nmol/l (range 260-575)
I did nothing different to cause the TSH to go from 2.5 to 4.22. I believe it is just random fluctuation

TSH 4.22
fT4 20 (12-22)
fT3 5.8(3.4-5.9)

Last edited:
I never took thyroid meds
those numbers are from 2019 sept. I kept going to many doctors trying to figure out what my issue was and so I did many blood tests in the span of couple months, the results im showing here are from that time period, never did any recent bloodwork though
reverse t3 was 25.7ng/dL (range 9.2-24.1)
got diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and upper back at this time
was 55% bodyfat at the time and training hard in the gym
was 20 yrs old at the time, now 22
testosterone was 9nmol/l at the time of those blood tests. never on cycle or took any hormone
now taking trt
was 55% bodyfat at the time 240lbs at 5'7
thyroid peroxidase AB <10kIU/L (range <35)
thyroid binding globulin 344nmol/l (range 260-575)
I did nothing different to cause the TSH to go from 2.5 to 4.22. I believe it is just random fluctuation

TSH 4.22
fT4 20 (12-22)
fT3 5.8(3.4-5.9)
Your going to have to do recent blood work.
Your reverse t3 should be around 5- 8 lower the better, you were pumping out so much t4 that it was going to rt3 and not t3.

I cant base an invaluation on labs in 2019 , especially since your on trt now.

If your on trt right now its possible your underlying issue with your thyroid is worse.

Ill write you a list to check , please return hesr and tag me when you get the blood work completed. Just as an example, my tsh was 2.83 when i wasn't on trt, 6 months after trt it went to 3.98 and my t4 was sunk.

Full thyroid panel.
Tpo
Tgab antibodys
Ft4
Ft3
Rt3
Iodine
Selenium
Iron
Ferritin
Tibc
Uibc
B12
Testosterone
Free testosterone
Shbg
Ac1
Homocysteine
Prolactin
Progesterone
Estrogen
Vitamin d
Esr
Crp
Magnesium

Full liver panel, this could have been an issue in 2019 driving up your thyroid binding globulin.

Alt
Ast
Egfr
Ggt
Cycstin c
Cortisol am and pm same day this is very important, this still will not pInt a full picture as it will show bound and unbound, but it will help.

Dhea
Pregnenolone

Are you on hcg? If your on trt and not on hcg then youve lost a source for converting Pregnenolone, if your adrenals are in ruff shape then youve lost another source which puts u in a bad spot if your not on hcg or pregnenolone .

TSH 1.37
free T4 18 (range: 11-23)
free T3 4.9 (range: 3.4-5.9)

this is all the tests my doctor wanted to do for me, and i had to make up a story that my hair and eyebrows are falling off and im gaining weight for no reason
@Harley00

TSH 1.37
free T4 18 (range: 11-23)
free T3 4.9 (range: 3.4-5.9)

this is all the tests my doctor wanted to do for me, and i had to make up a story that my hair and eyebrows are falling off and im gaining weight for no reason
@Harley00
Refresh me, these are your natural numbers? No meds. If so your numbers are good for natural. Theres a few supplements that will help u out a bit more, but your ft4 is excellent, its exactly where it needs to be. And your ft3 is pretty much good could go up to 5.2 but looking good. Noithing wrong there.

What are your current symptoms? Or are u doing better

Refresh me, these are your natural numbers? No meds. If so your numbers are good for natural. Theres a few supplements that will help u out a bit more, but your ft4 is excellent, its exactly where it needs to be. And your ft3 is pretty much good could go up to 5.2 but looking good. Noithing wrong there.

What are your current symptoms? Or are u doing better
Lab results are natural, I'm only on trt

Symptoms, low energy, slow metabolism

What supplements

What supplements
TRT isn't natural bud.
At the very least exogenous test will reduce SHBG.
But that's generally a benefit from more free T.
But I'm not sure what the implications are for your thyroid.
Interested to hear what Harley00 has to say.

What supplements
Are you on hcg?
If not then youve shut down your luteinizing hormones which can be missing hormones that are needed other functions etc like thyroid/metabolism/cortisol as your lh sends signals to your Corticotropin-releasing hormone for stress response etc, some research papers say that trt without hcg could eventually lead to adrenal shut down, some it happens sooner and some 10 to 15 yesrs later, it all depends on the individual.
If your not using it i suggest you try that first.

Supplements tontry only after blood work would be .
-Iodine
-selenium

Bloods first on those.

You can also add l tyrosine, that will helpbas well.

...some research papers say that trt without hcg could eventually lead to adrenal shut down, some it happens sooner and some 10 to 15 yesrs later, it all depends on the individual...
Now that's interesting and concerns me personally. Appreciate if you post or send me some links if you have them handy, please and thanks

Now that's interesting and concerns me personally. Appreciate if you post or send me some links if you have them handy, please and thanks
There is tons on this, especially if you type in trt and low cortisol. Youll see interactions with cortisol especially lowering of the acth, which fyi happened to me....couldnt figure out why my cortisol was always low, and increasing my trt always made it worse, (this is what testosterone does it lowers stress , by lowering acth, because the signal from lh was lost to the crh hormone. So it wasnt turning on my acth unless i stimulated it with excercise, obviously excercise will increase circulation of cortisol by stimulating your acth, so when i stopped excercises etc or becMe stressed my circulation of cortisol lowered, then blocked the thyroid hormones etc from reaching cells , became more hypo etc. You see where this is going.

Lowering my trt helped. Adding in pregnenolone helped, but theres still signals lost from your luteinizing hormones, and some need that connection. Adding in dhea still dosn't provide that connection.

Hears one, but honestly you can get lost in the material on lh/ crh etc...

Last edited:
There is tons on this, especially if you type in trt and low cortisol. Youll see interactions with cortisol especially lowering of the acth, which fyi happened to me....couldnt figure out why my cortisol was always low, and increasing my trt always made it worse, (this is what testosterone does it lowers stress , by lowering acth, because the signal from lh was lost to the crh hormone. So it wasnt turning on my acth unless i stimulated it with excercise, obviously excercise will increase circulation of cortisol by stimulating your acth, so when i stopped excercises etc or becMe stressed my circulation of cortisol lowered, then blocked the thyroid hormones etc from reaching cells , became more hypo etc. You see where this is going.

Lowering my trt helped. Adding in pregnenolone helped, but theres still signals lost from your luteinizing hormones, and some need that connection. Adding in dhea still dosn't provide that connection.

Hears one, but honestly you can get lost in the material on lh/ crh etc...

Thank you sir. I'm sure I could have found my way eventually, you've saved me some time and energy which I appreciate. Would not have thought to combine the terms TRT and low cortisol for example. I haven't bothered with HCG in a long while but funnily enough just mixed some about a week ago. And yeah, looking to not get lost in yet another health related deep dive lol

Are you on hcg?
If not then youve shut down your luteinizing hormones which can be missing hormones that are needed other functions etc like thyroid/metabolism/cortisol as your lh sends signals to your Corticotropin-releasing hormone for stress response etc, some research papers say that trt without hcg could eventually lead to adrenal shut down, some it happens sooner and some 10 to 15 yesrs later, it all depends on the individual.
If your not using it i suggest you try that first.

Supplements tontry only after blood work would be .
-Iodine
-selenium

Bloods first on those.

You can also add l tyrosine, that will helpbas well.
What would an HCG protocol look like for TRT? Does it stay the same for cruising and blasting? Is it dependent on the individual? Is there a middle ground where a person can start and add or decrease depending on how you feel and lab values? When I was natural my cortisol was always high but now on gear I'm in the lower end of the normal range with my cortisol and TSH. I take DHEA 50 mgs and L tyrosine every morning along with iodine more for the dopamanergic response along with 50 mgs pregnenolone at night. I've got T3 and T4 coming next week and was gonna start with 20 mcg T3 and 62.5 T4 to get my thyroid working better but don't want to over go overboard but now I'm thinking maybe all I need is HCG which I have just not using as I didn't think I really needed it with my other supplements added in.
I've also recently started GH and from what I've read it may increase TSH through whatever pathway it effects, can't remember how it works so I thought I might hold off and see how I feel. Only problem is the consensus on my GH being legit is it's probably garbage so I'll be getting some from a reputable source.
TSH 1.39 mU/L
Cortisol 195 nmol/L

What would an HCG protocol look like for TRT? Does it stay the same for cruising and blasting? Is it dependent on the individual? Is there a middle ground where a person can start and add or decrease depending on how you feel and lab values? When I was natural my cortisol was always high but now on gear I'm in the lower end of the normal range with my cortisol and TSH. I take DHEA 50 mgs and L tyrosine every morning along with iodine more for the dopamanergic response along with 50 mgs pregnenolone at night. I've got T3 and T4 coming next week and was gonna start with 20 mcg T3 and 62.5 T4 to get my thyroid working better but don't want to over go overboard but now I'm thinking maybe all I need is HCG which I have just not using as I didn't think I really needed it with my other supplements added in.
I've also recently started GH and from what I've read it may increase TSH through whatever pathway it effects, can't remember how it works so I thought I might hold off and see how I feel. Only problem is the consensus on my GH being legit is it's probably garbage so I'll be getting some from a reputable source.
TSH 1.39 mU/L
Cortisol 195 nmol/L
I wanna get back to you with great detail but im off to bed, gh will use up your t4 so supplementing with t4 on gh is wise.

Dhea and pregnenolone are great but they wont completely feel in the gaps amd make that connection with your crh , thats where hcg comes in . This should help your cortisol rasie a bit. And help prevent adrenal shut down.

Yes your right taking hcg may also help fill thay gap and correct your thyroid.

I wouldn't be takimg any thyroid hormones till you do your natural levels.

Tag me and ill have a look for you.

Hcg will depend, on you and hkw much lh will be needed to make the signal work , this can vary.

50mg a day dhea is likely to high be sure to check that on next labs.

Hope this helps .

I see yoir tsh , i dont go by tsh, bjt it ks an indicator, yours is a good range.

Cortisol is low , bjt theres alot of thkngs to consider with Cortisol blood test, it shows bound and unbound, not so accurate, and you also need to do blood work at 8 am.

Add in acth next blood work as well as Cortisol and the full thyroid panel and b12.

Last edited:
I wanna get back to you with great detail but im off to bed, gh will use up your t4 so supplementing with t4 on gh is wise.

Dhea and pregnenolone are great but they wont completely feel in the gaps amd make that connection with your crh , thats where hcg comes in . This should help your cortisol rasie a bit. And help prevent adrenal shut down.

Yes your right taking hcg may also help fill thay gap and correct your thyroid.

I wouldn't be takimg any thyroid hormones till you do your natural levels.

Tag me and ill have a look for you.

Hcg will depend, on you and hkw much lh will be needed to make the signal work , this can vary.

50mg a day dhea is likely to high be sure to check that on next labs.

Hope this helps .
Yes sir, thank you very much. I wanna do this right and optimize everything I can for health and performance.
Looking forward to future condos.
Also I eat 2 or 3 Brazil nuts a day for selenium ad I've done this for a long time to optimize my natural test.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Yes sir, thank you very much. I wanna do this right and optimize everything I can for health and performance.
Looking forward to future condos.
Also I eat 2 or 3 Brazil nuts a day for selenium ad I've done this for a long time to optimize my natural test.

Not condos I meant convos
Autocorrect haha

Not condos I meant convos
Autocorrect haha

Since your at it throw in Iodine and selenium, you dont want too much of these and they fill up fast.

Too much can be just as bad. I recommend 50mg a day of selenium to be safe till labs. And i do not recommend iodine un till labs show your low.