Intra-workout carbs?

Negan

Trusted Member
I train 4 days a week, usually about 2hrs, 2 minute rests between sets, it's what works best for my schedule. I find that after about 1.5hrs I start to feel gassed, this week I started eating about 30g of simple carbs half way through and my last 2 sessions felt better at the end. Anyone else try this and what was your thoughts?

If I'm carb cycling or bulking I do a maltodextrin and dextrose mix usually about 50g carbs with eaa/bcaa and glutamine

If you're not using an eaa mix with it I suggest giving that a shot

Wow man 2hrs and 2 minutes rests thats crazy. Definitely your blood sugar drops, you can gauge this by your yawning frequency when you are gassed out.

A delicious twix or kitkat works for me when I do too much cardio before weightlifting.

My intra workout concoction is:
40g Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrine (CanadaProtein)
5g Creatine (no particular reason why intra, just so I remember to take it)
20g EAA + 100mg Caffeine (water enhancer really)
10-20g Collagen (Protein Intake Opportunity, and so I remember to take it)

and I’ll usually throw some mio + electrolyte in just for extra flavour to mix with whatever EAA my girl decides to buy before she decides she hates it (bonus)

Wow man 2hrs and 2 minutes rests thats crazy. Definitely your blood sugar drops, you can gauge this by your yawning frequency when you are gassed out.

A delicious twix or kitkat works for me when I do too much cardio before weightlifting.
I'm getting used to it, I sweat a lot, I was definitely yawning but didn't this week so maybe the carbs help. I was getting headaches at first too when I reduced rests from 3 to 2 minute but I started eating more salt in my last meal before workouts and no more headaches and less hamstring cramps from sex too.

In the off session I'll do 30-40g Intra carbs with some eaas, and scoop of isolate and creatine on a heavy lift day about 45 minutes into my 1.5 hour workout. Helps a guy keep going as well as anabolic benefits when stacked with some slin (which I don't recommend, I'm just diabetic so I capitalize on it for growth)

Last edited:
How the heck do you manage 2 hours lifting? I’m gassed after 45min….maybe 1hr max!
Or are we talking like 1hr of cardio and 1hr of weight training with breaks mixed in there?
Yeah I do like 1 hour max, i can't go with the intensity I need, afyer an hour I'm pooched, if the gyms packed it may go over just do to having to wait

How the heck do you manage 2 hours lifting? I’m gassed after 45min….maybe 1hr max!
Or are we talking like 1hr of cardio and 1hr of weight training with breaks mixed in there?
I spend close to 2hrs lifting. Some days its like 1h45. I have 2min rests between sets and between different lifts it can be 5 mins or more depending on how long it takes to re rack plates and setup or if I have to wait for a machine.

Is it worth the extra cost? I've been using a malto, dextrose mix with good results, but keep hearing people.rave about this stuff
I don't know what the difference in cost even is anymore but yes. For me 100%, I've never even thought about doing something different from the first time I tried it. My typical workout in the last few years has been at least 90 minutes and up to 2 hrs. The first 45 mins is rehab, prehab and warmup but I am pushing my heart rate all of that time. 35-75 Carbs in Pre WO meal and then 35-50 Intra HBCD consumed mostly starting just before WO and consumed mostly in the first hr makes a huge difference in how hard I can push in the last half hour.

As always your mileage may vary but for anyone who has trained enough that they have reached the point where they really know how to get near maximum performance out of their body I'd say its probably worth gambling on a tub to help pick at that last few percent.

Shit you're getting old dude.

I'll add 20 grams of hbcd most days. Sometimes more if im feeling beat up from work. I mix mine with gateraide zero with eaa's

I've never even heard of HBCD but I looked it up to see and I'm probably not that serious to buy a special supplement at this point, I'm not really a supplement guy I have a shake at breakfast, use a multivitamin, a pre workout caffeine and sometimes a post workout shake, I kinda like the "6 star super elite protein" it tastes good has creatine and bcaa.. Sunday I tried 30g of carbs from instant iced tea mix and Monday I just ate 30g of carbs from a chocolate bar. The chocolate was really enjoyable and seemed to really help mentally because it's actually eating something, both made a difference in my output in the last half hour, I plan on going with the chocolate again tonight 😋.