Instapot for sterilization (pressure cooker)

Xmilar

Trusted Member
So my instapot has a sterilize button . I did some research and found this

Swensen and her research team concluded that “store-bought pressure cookers can be an appropriate substitute for commercial autoclaves…Only the Instant Pot brand pressure cooker was able to inactivate G. stearothermophilus endospores, which indicated that it would be the most appropriate choice for a laboratory pressure cooker.”

Link to article

Anyone else used an instapot for sterilizing vials ? From the article it killls everything you would want

So my instapot has a sterilize button . I did some research and found this

Swensen and her research team concluded that “store-bought pressure cookers can be an appropriate substitute for commercial autoclaves…Only the Instant Pot brand pressure cooker was able to inactivate G. stearothermophilus endospores, which indicated that it would be the most appropriate choice for a laboratory pressure cooker.”

Link to article

Anyone else used an instapot for sterilizing vials ? From the article it killls everything you would want

used to use one 20 some odd years ago

Very few things are going to live after exposure to 120c (15PSI at ~100m sea level, which is what the instapot likely runs for "sterilization") for a few minutes. It's all about risk tolerance (an autoclave is rated to keep X psi for Y number of years), and figuring out how long the inside of the solution needs to reach temperature, without destroying the contents of the solution. You need to trust the seals on the pot to keep that pressure for years after purchase, though, as even a few lost PSI means a lot of degrees C. Not a huge deal for a pot roast, kind of important for this purpose. Keep the seals oiled with high weight mineral oil, and you'll get a few decent years at 15psi out of em.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work though, I've had a 28qt pressure cooker keep it's "well cared for" 15psi seal for 3 years now.