I'm going to journal my blood sugars here

Woke up today and worked non stop on a home reno...

Missed a meal in the afternoon, but 3 hours after dinner blood sugar was 4.7

That seems to be lower than usual for me, but I guess I did manual labour all day and missed a meal.

Did back workout this morning. Took 10 grams EAS and 10 grams glutamine before training. Then 30 grams BCAA's during traiing and 10 grams glutamine right after lifting... 15 mins later, blood suagrs are 5.4

Next time I go do the same workout, I wont take all the amino acids and just do the exact same routine with the same intensity (I know its not exact) and testr my blood sugars... I think the amino acids really do raise blood sugars/prevent blood sugars going very low...

I did note that towards the end of my work out I was really feeling low blood sugar.. But that feeling went away with the 10 grms glutamine and the 15 min drive home.

Hey Animal,

Your blood glucose (BG) will vary significantly based on your recent sugar intake. For this reason, I typically only care about certain values:
i) Fasting BG (first thing in the morning, before any food/supplements)
ii) Nighttime BG (immediately prior to bedtime)
iii) IF you are to take any values after you eat, 2hr post-prandial is most comparable
iv) If you feel any lows; and what you did to correct that after a true low reading (less than 4.0)

Feel free to put all your readings together into a single log/excel/word and send them to me with any specific questions you have.

Hey Animal,

Your blood glucose (BG) will vary significantly based on your recent sugar intake. For this reason, I typically only care about certain values:
i) Fasting BG (first thing in the morning, before any food/supplements)
ii) Nighttime BG (immediately prior to bedtime)
iii) IF you are to take any values after you eat, 2hr post-prandial is most comparable
iv) If you feel any lows; and what you did to correct that after a true low reading (less than 4.0)

Feel free to put all your readings together into a single log/excel/word and send them to me with any specific questions you have.

Hey brother, do yyou have diabetes? Just curious where your background knowledge comes from. I might take you up on your offer....

I should have stated, I take my BS at various times just to see what different things do to it. I guess I'm learning how my body is responding to different things. I do take it when I feel like its low, but when I'm low, I know why I'm low and it the outcome I want such as being low after HITT cardio.

Been a little lazy taking my blood suagrs.. I guess not lazy, but everytime I test it, it comes out exactly as I expected it would based on previous readings...

I think I will hold back on taking my blood sugars until I adjust my diet in the next few weeks

Both today and yesterday my blood sugar when I first woke up was 6.2...

The only other times my blod sugar goes over 6.0 is when I drink gatorade post work out.. Other than that, my blood sugar average is around 5

Any thoughts as to why my blood sugar is highest when I wake up after not eating for 12 hours?

Both today and yesterday my blood sugar when I first woke up was 6.2...

The only other times my blod sugar goes over 6.0 is when I drink gatorade post work out.. Other than that, my blood sugar average is around 5

Any thoughts as to why my blood sugar is highest when I wake up after not eating for 12 hours?

No, I dont have diabetes, but I do have extensive training and experience managing this.
Your body has counter regulatory hormones to prevent going into severe hypoglycemia while fasted. If we all died in our sleep or after getting sick and not eating for a day or two, that wouldnt be ideal.
Your primary counter regulatory hormones to prevent hypoglycemia are Cortisol, IGF-1 and Glucagon.

FYI - A fasting BG of 6 is perfect and normal. Anything from 4-7 is normal for fasting.

No, I dont have diabetes, but I do have extensive training and experience managing this.
Your body has counter regulatory hormones to prevent going into severe hypoglycemia while fasted. If we all died in our sleep or after getting sick and not eating for a day or two, that wouldnt be ideal.
Your primary counter regulatory hormones to prevent hypoglycemia are Cortisol, IGF-1 and Glucagon.

FYI - A fasting BG of 6 is perfect and normal. Anything from 4-7 is normal for fasting.

My waking BG was 6.1 today. Not fasting though.. guessing I last ate at 11 pm and did the BG test at 9 am.. My doctor wants my fasting at 5..

Question for ya.. My IGF-1 has tested very high for the last few years. I think the upper range is 250 for my age and I always test around 255-260.. would a high IGF-1 cause higher fasting BG levles?

Ive never had cortisol or glucagon levels tested.

Sorry for such a late reply.
That is a fasting blood glucose, you didnt eat for 10 hours (23:00 - 0900); and a result of 6.1 is very normal.
I wouldnt worry about a slightly elevated IGF-1, it is interesting, but i think of little consequence and I do not think that will alter your fasting levels either.

I answered about the counter-regulatory hormones because you asked, but I did not think you had them tested, nor do I think they need to be!