I'm going to journal my blood sugars here

animal-inside

Trusted Member
I previously posted my blood sugars came back pre diabetic in marchish... I have had them checked several times over the last few years and was always told they were "fine". My current doctor saw them rise slowly since October.

When he told me they were pre diabetic (over 6), I cut out the hgh I was using and went on a keto diet.

A month later, they were even higher???

All these tests were fasting blood sugars.

After examining my diet more and some guidance some members here I have found

-Berberine is a great supplement for lowered blood sugars and reducing insulin sensistivty.

-Keto diets can give high fasting blood sugar results...

-Glutamine AND whey protein very very easily convert to glucose/glycogen. I was previously taking 20 grams of glutamine before bed on the advise of a former pro body builder.. Now I only take glutamine right before heavy lifting and right after heavy lifting when doing keto diet to replinish a bit of glycogen. I only use whey protien PWO now..

Anyways to further my research, I bought a blood glucose monitor today from costco.. Off topic, the lady was amazing.. I am not diabetic, but I explained why I wanted to monitor my blood sugars and she found a way for it to be covered 100% on my medical plan without a script. She also got my insulin needles for my TRT on my plan as well even though I am not using insulin.. She made a comment "your testosterone mgith not go through such a small needle".. I replied "it has been going through for 4 years now:".. she laughed...

Anyways I'll journal my blood sugars here for a bit

Last edited:
1) 5:30 pm I got home it was my cheat day so I ate:

a medium bowl of tostitos taco chips and some ham... 20 mins later, my blood sugars were 5.6

2) 9:05 pm
I came inside from doing 20 mins of sled pulling HITT cardio..... 5 mins after I was done, blood sugars were 3.9. I deffinitely felt the low blood sugar.

3) 9:15 pm 10 mins after doing HITT I took 10 grams glutamin..... blood sugar went to 5.2

So one would think that I very readily convert glutamine to glucose?????

Where else would the blood sugar spike come from?

4) 9:25 pm 10 mins after I took the glutamine, I drank 50 grams of protien shake... It was 25 grams whey casien and 25 grams whey.. I am trying to use up the whey I have by taking it when I don't mind if some converts to glucose, like after HITT cardio..

Anyways, I waited 15 mins after drinking the protien shake and my blood glucose at was 5.8

Did some reading...

I think my blood sugar went from 3.9 to 5.2 right after HITT cardio is because my liver kicked out some glucose in response to the HITT... For those that know, is this what happened?

7:30 AM.. As soon as I woke up, blood sugar was 5.6. I eat right before bed so I don't know if 5.6 is good or not

I haven't looked super hard, but I'm finding it difficult to find info on blood sugars for people who aren't diabetic. I'm looking for a chart with the age/sex and what the predicted blood sugars should be in a non diabetic through out the day if anyone has a good source

Those are pretty average BG levels. I’ve never been as low as 3.9, that is a significantly low number. I usually wake up around 4.7 and in my day reach a high of about 6.4, and that is pretty average for non diabetics.

Those are pretty average BG levels. I’ve never been as low as 3.9, that is a significantly low number. I usually wake up around 4.7 and in my day reach a high of about 6.4, and that is pretty average for non diabetics.

The 3.9 was after HITT cardio which sucks back the glycogen/glucose.. I'm sure that's the cause of it.

I was going to do heavy legs today, but my chiropracter stuck a pile of needles in my calves to get the knots out and they are aching. Last week he did the same thing and i trained legs right after, against his advice, and i paid for it dearly..

I stayed home and did some work on my reno's.. I'll do heavy legs tomorrow. I'm interested to see my blood sugar after heavy lifts.

Just wondering what’s your caloric intake like and are you taking any PEDs? or other medications/supplements?

Just wondering what’s your caloric intake like and are you taking any PEDs? or other medications/supplements?

I'm taking
-75mg testosterone a week.. doctor prescribed
-100mg synthroid for low thyroid, doctor prescribed
-100mg DHEA doctor prescribed
-multi vitamin, alpha lipiotic acid, Coenzyme Q10, vita C, B vitamin, BErberine, fish oil, vitamin D
-on training days I'll use BCAA's, glutamine,
-creatine and taurine

I don't know exact calorie, but I aim for 50mg protien and good fats 5-6x a day... no carbs except PWO.

1:00 3 hours after breakfast I was 6.0

breakfast was: 4 whole eggs than enough egg whites to equal 1 and 3/4 cup total.

I'm taking
-75mg testosterone a week.. doctor prescribed
-100mg synthroid for low thyroid, doctor prescribed
-100mg DHEA doctor prescribed
-multi vitamin, alpha lipiotic acid, Coenzyme Q10, vita C, B vitamin, BErberine, fish oil, vitamin D
-on training days I'll use BCAA's, glutamine,
-creatine and taurine

I don't know exact calorie, but I aim for 50mg protien and good fats 5-6x a day... no carbs except PWO.
can’t say for sure but could be your high protein intake + bcaas But to be honest I have no clue, wish I could help.

I noticed whenever I took bcaas, I’d get higher blood sugars after, not sure if its mtor related

I don’t think it matters unless you’re above the normal range though, I actually had blood sugars on the higher end of normal when I was bodybuilding and looked my best
My hemoglobin a1c was always on the low end to middle of the normal range though

also in terms of glutamine, I think I remember milos sarcev saying that glutamine is one of the amino acids that is used for gluconeogenesis over other amino acids, hed use glutamine with BCAAS/EAAs so the glutamine would be used for glucose over the bcaas/eaas

Last edited:
Reactions: Cog
can’t say for sure but could be your high protein intake + bcaas But to be honest I have no clue, wish I could help.

I noticed whenever I took bcaas, I’d get higher blood sugars after, not sure if its mtor related

I don’t think it matters unless you’re above the normal range though, I actually had blood sugars on the higher end of normal when I was bodybuilding and looked my best
My hemoglobin a1c was always on the low end to middle of the normal range though

also in terms of glutamine, I think I remember milos sarcev saying that glutamine is one of the amino acids that is used for gluconeogenesis over other amino acids, hed use glutamine with BCAAS/EAAs so the glutamine would be used for glucose over the bcaas/eaas

Ya like I said above, glutamine easily converts to glucose.. I was using it wrong. It's better used Pre and Post work out. I use it pre work out if I train on an empty stomach and I use it post work out. I also pair thr glutamine with EAA's..

I just started using BCAA's... I'm going to do chest/shoulder/tri in about an hour.. I'll take 30 grams BCAA's during my work out. When I get home I'll test my blood sugar. You'd think after heavy lifting my blood sugar should be low, its its not than I would suspect the BCAA's.

5:00- 20 mins after lifting blood sugars were 4.7

I did take 30 grams of BCAAs throughout the working. I would think 4.7 is a reasonably low blood sugar lever after a work out. I wouldn't think they would be as low as when I did HITT cardio.

MY workout was chest shoulders and triceps. Low volume, high intensity... I didn't do any full body stuff like squats or dead lifts.. I would think dead lights and squats would drop my blood sugars post workout below 4.7

I took 30 grams powdered gatorade and creatine... Waited 15 mins and blood sugars were 7.1..

Last edited:
After I tested my BS from eating 30 grams gatorade and creatine, I drank 25 grams whey casien and 25 grams whey... Waited an hour and blood sugars were 4.5

crazy how much and how fast powdered gatorade made my blood sugars jump. And how much they went down after an hour. I guess that shows how effective gatorade/dextrose is at spiking insulin post work out.