If you had to pick 5 lifts/movements

Goldenrod

Staff member
While this is fictional for most, for some with no gym and limited equipment at home, I started thinking what would I pick. Ya, for shits and giggles but really what would you focus on if you had to pick 5 lifts/movements? I would love to include the dead lift but due to injuries in my life and the surgeon recommends I don't I won't list it.

1. Dumbbell bench. More variations that a barbell IMO pending you have heavy enough DB's. Hits triceps too.
2. Squat - I prefer squats with dumbbells as it is a pseudo squat/dead lift, I never use wraps and is great for traps, hand strength, forearms, and so on. Again, pending you have access to heavy enough dumbbells and I'm not squatting 500 lbs so DB's work for me. I can go to parallel and completely fry my legs and glutes.
3. Close grip chin up - back, major bicep workout, forearm, and hand strength as I purposely asked the steel worker to make the bar thick.
4. Standing dumbbell shoulder press. Need to use your stabilizing muscles and a staple I love.
5. Dumbbell Bent Row - different grip than with a BB and you can do one arm or two at the same time if you prefer. I love skull crushers for constant tension and growth for my triceps but I would rather have a big back and shoulder presses and bench hit triceps hence picking the Bent row.

Curious, what would you pick?

I’ve just been doing pull ups, push-ups, dips, sit ups and leg ab raises.

seems to be doing the job just as good as the gym except my legs keep shrinking but oh well

I actually feel way stronger too, maybe its my smaller supporting muscles getting a better workout from body weight movements needing more balance

Last edited:
Leg press
Overhead press
Dumb bell bench
Rows
Curls

leg press over squats because you can do so much more on the leg press, just by changing your foot placement you can target your quads or hamstrings more. If I was limited to picking 5, I could get more variability out of the leg press.