how to eat tofu

beansandrice

instead of making a youtube video here is a simple guide to preparing tofu based on my own limited experience and am also open to other tofu ideas and uses hint hint : )

1) buy firm plain tofu, not extra firm or soft, just firm
2) freeze the tofu. this requires first cutting it into manageable pieces and stacking the pieces like a card house in a plastic container before placing in freezer. if stacked together like a loaf of bread they will be difficult to break apart when ready to cook. the edge and/or handle of a knife can break apart frozen tofu pieces
3) when a meal is to be made, take out the desired amount of tofu and thaw in water if still frozen or let thaw if enough time
4) press out as much water as possible with your hands and fry both sides in olive oil until golden and crispy. i use a well seasoned aluminum chefs pan which is almost completely black and subsequently almost no stick, which is also a perfect pan to prepare corn tortillas btw. make sure to use enough oil when frying because tofu is very tenacious

that's it, from there you can marinate, chop, mince etc into desired tastes and textures and or refrigerate/freeze. i am considering trying to bake multiple blocks of tofu at once with this method ie covering with olive oil and frying in a sheet pan in batches

the most important step is the freezing, without this step it is the same as raw chicken vs fried chicken. unfrozen tofu has the taste and texture of flavourless gelatin, but when it is frozen it turns yellow and takes on a stringy meaty spongy texture and begins to have some semblance of flavour. even without frying, at this stage it is completely different than before it was frozen

Last edited:
🤤
Freezer it for six hours
Dry tofu with paper towel for 20 min, cut it in little nuggets
Marinate it
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or other neutral oil
½ teaspoon hot sauce
¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Roll the nuggets
Braiding
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup unsweetened soy milk
1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
â…› teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon olive oil, if baking tofu
Then 4 cups canola oil, & deep-frying it!
Deep fry it on 375
I’m telling it’s delicious 😋

I wish I can make my own recipe of healthy and delicious food page on here lol I love cooking just last week I made seedless grape, goat cheese, honey & pistachios recipe 🤤 everybody at Church loved it.

Last edited:
that is a good idea though, i could imagine that is a bomb tofu recipe too wow o_o. those are some next level ingredients in that pistachio recipe 🤤 also i am not an advanced cook that sounds amazing

My recipe for the best tofu...
Take your tofu, throw it in the garbage... and cook a steak!!! Hahaha J/K
Great post... my wife loves tofu... have to get her to try this!
Lmfao. I was just about to say the nest way ro eat it is the same way as chicken....throw it in the garbage and eat a steak.🤣🤣

Funny thing....

I have learned a lot of different ways to prep Tofu. I never thought I would enjoy it. I dated a vegan for a few months. I was shocked at her level of strength and cardiovascular ability. She has been vegan for over 40 years and we are in our 60's. The relationship was short (a little to much crazy going on there). To make it worse she was a lawyer!

I enjoy tofu daily now. Rarely if ever eat meat. I have more energy, far less digestive issues and no more night time meat sweats. This by no means is saying a steak, ribs or a juicy burger are out of the realm of eating. I just eat it far more rarely then I had in the past.

I admit to having been guilty of what we call contempt prior to investigation.

Grandpa

Funny thing....

I have learned a lot of different ways to prep Tofu. I never thought I would enjoy it. I dated a vegan for a few months. I was shocked at her level of strength and cardiovascular ability. She has been vegan for over 40 years and we are in our 60's. The relationship was short (a little to much crazy going on there). To make it worse she was a lawyer!

I enjoy tofu daily now. Rarely if ever eat meat. I have more energy, far less digestive issues and no more night time meat sweats. This by no means is saying a steak, ribs or a juicy burger are out of the realm of eating. I just eat it far more rarely then I had in the past.

Grandpa
What are meat sweats? I can eat a one pound steak and maybe fart a bit but that’s it.

Funny thing....

Grandpa
My girl and I went vegan for about 8 months. What was really the best was all my aches and pains disappeared.

A vegan lawyer eh ? That checks all the boxes of crazy.

Last edited:
Such lively and spirited debate has arisen from a mere desire to share a few recipes...I love the democratic spirit of it!!!