How do you get past a plateau in weight lifting?

Yes variation is key
same as Arnold said in his blueprint for mass series

"You have to shock the muscle"

Have different styles each week but be aware how recovery of certain muscles trained will effect the next workout.

One week do speed work. Next week do rep work. Next week do heavier load work.

Example of what I was speaking of in the above.

Say week 1 has heavy squats. If you do deads on a separate day you are going to want to do rep or speed work on wk 1 dead day. Each week will contain different training styles in that week and will cycle as weeks progress.

Make sense?

Our bodies respond to change.. If things stay the same, they stay the same.

You need to change things some how to get over a plateu.. The changes doesn't even have to be a big one. For example if your stuck at 300lbs max bench, put a 2x4 flat under the feet end of the bench to give you a slight decline for a month. Then take it out and I bet you are past 300lbs...

Change something or expect the same..

This of course assumes your diet is in check.

Reactions: PGM
If it's a strength plateau, i would deload, and work on explosiveness and endurance then i would add some band or chain and work with that for a while then go and see if i bust the plateau.

Also maybe if it would be for example : deadlift, i would go ligther with the main movement and go heavier with an accessory one that can really improve my main exercice, like heavy glute ham raise for the deadlift or heavy tricep work/lats work for my bench.

I would work on what can cause the stagnation instead of keeping doing the same movement

Maybe i'm wrong i'm no pro but i would try this.

If it's a strength plateau, i would deload, and work on explosiveness and endurance then i would add some band or chain and work with that for a while then go and see if i bust the plateau.

Also maybe if it would be for example : deadlift, i would go ligther with the main movement and go heavier with an accessory one that can really improve my main exercice, like heavy glute ham raise for the deadlift or heavy tricep work/lats work for my bench.

I would work on what can cause the stagnation instead of keeping doing the same movement

Maybe i'm wrong i'm no pro but i would try this.
I do similar - take a step back and get more rest/Deload- change a few things and then go back and work back up. We are not made to get stronger forever if we are talking heavy weight. I’m certainly not but I’m no pro.

Reactions: PGM
I take a oral that makes me aggressive and put more weight on the bar and tell myself to do it . Plateaus are normally a head game for me

take two years off from training. You will be surprised how fast you progress, gaining back what you lost, once you return to it.

take two years off from training. You will be surprised how fast you progress, gaining back what you lost, once you return to it.

Most of us have a hard time taking 2 days off. Anyone motivated, disciplined and established won’t ever even consider this. A week or two a year is great to let the body fully recover. 2 years off tho, no thanks. I worked way to hard for way to many years to let myself go like that.

I no longer strength train, when I did I would back off on the heavy weights for a while, train in the 10-12 rep range and work on explosive strength.

When my strength stalls I use better form. I’ve noticed I tend to use supporting muscles to lift the weight, it makes the main muscle not grow as effectively. I gain strength almost instantly afterwards
Ie bench pressing with close grip, moved to wide grip, felt in chest more, was able to bench more

For something like bench what worked for me was starting with the weight I can only do for 3-4 reps for my first set, no light warm up...within a couple months of doing this my warm up with that same weight was now 12+ reps. When you’ve been doing this for a long time like many of us have it’s easy to fall into the routine of using the same weights and going through the motions, not to say we don’t work hard but it’s easy to just slap the same weight on the bar for those early sets and wonder why we always work up to the same weight....start heavy.

For something like bench what worked for me was starting with the weight I can only do for 3-4 reps for my first set, no light warm up...within a couple months of doing this my warm up with that same weight was now 12+ reps. When you’ve been doing this for a long time like many of us have it’s easy to fall into the routine of using the same weights and going through the motions, not to say we don’t work hard but it’s easy to just slap the same weight on the bar for those early sets and wonder why we always work up to the same weight....start heavy.

This don't make you more prone to injury?

This don't make you more prone to injury?

Hasn't for me, and again this is simply one movement and breaking through a plateau, not a long term training style. I do some light stretching and then just start heavy. I've only ever done this for bench after the recommendation by a power lifting friend and it worked very well.

Hasn't for me, and again this is simply one movement and breaking through a plateau, not a long term training style. I do some light stretching and then just start heavy. I've only ever done this for bench after the recommendation by a power lifting friend and it worked very well.

Interesting! i think i'll give a try to see the outcome