Hockey cards

Cheapshot

Trusted Member
Does anyone here collect cards? Ive had boxes of them in the closet for years and looked up some of the values recently. Cards took a massive jump. And I mean over double in last 6 months. I recently bought a lemieux rookie in june for 650 and the wife lost her shit. Now only a few months later you cant even buy it for double. They are going for 1400-1500. She apologized..lol. anyone with a gretzky rookie, even one that went through the spokes in terrible condition is worth a grand. Im shocked its so popular again.

I only have 1988 card until 1993.

The 1990s aren't worth all that much. I tried to set each set for 20 dollar, and there only worth 30 dollars for a set.

I guess I will try to sell them at 10 dollars each....just to make room in my storage.

I have a friend with tones of old cards.

I only have 1988 card until 1993.

The 1990s aren't worth all that much. I tried to set each set for 20 dollar, and there only worth 30 dollars for a set.

I guess I will try to sell them at 10 dollars each....just to make room in my storage.

I have a friend with tones of old cards.
Yeah The 90s ones arent worth anything..lol. i have bunch of them too

I don’t understand all this grading and shit.

I have a bunch of cards that I think I would like to get rid of. I collected as a kid and have some that are probably worth a few bucks. Nothing terribly crazy but some decent ones.

Like I said though.... the grading aspect of this confuses the shit out of me. Used to be nice when you’d look in your Beckett and there was a high and low price... lol.

sorry cheapy no gretz. I do have that Lemieux and a few others of note. Mostly 80’s hockey and baseball. I have a few old bobby orr cards that I might keep. A couple Orr’s in decent condition but most are kinda rough.

anyone know the best way to go about trying to sell them?

I don’t look at them and my kid has no interest. They might as well go to someone who appreciates them but I don’t want to be gashed.

there is an auction place here that will appraise them and sell them but the fuckers want 30%. Maybe that’s good idk? I suppose that’s only answered if people are interested in them lol!

The grading is very simple. Especially PSA grading. 1 is the worse 10 is the best. 10 would be a perfect card. Ive sent a few away to get graded but they always end up worse then I think..lol
As far as selling them its damn near impossible to get the actual value unless its ebay. Kijjiji or facebook you will just get lowballers. Upgraded cards obviously dont bring as much, especially with the old stuff because there is so many fakes, you really have to be an expert or your taking a huge chance spending a few hundred or thousand on a card. I wouldn't even buy an upgraded card unless its 2000s and up.

I have lots of late 70s and early 80s. No Gretzky rookie but have a couple of Paul Coffey and Andy Moog.

Sold some about ten years ago and they weren’t worth much at the time good to hear they have gone back up.

Ya I didnt know the old ones went back up. I had heard the new stuff out there right is worth alot of money the Mcdavids, Matthews...have to take a look at my stash again.

Ya I didnt know the old ones went back up. I had heard the new stuff out there right is worth alot of money the Mcdavids, Matthews...have to take a look at my stash again.
Ya the new ones are going crazy too. I dont understand it cause theres thousands of them and all in really good condition

The grading is very simple. Especially PSA grading. 1 is the worse 10 is the best. 10 would be a perfect card. Ive sent a few away to get graded but they always end up worse then I think..lol
As far as selling them its damn near impossible to get the actual value unless its ebay. Kijjiji or facebook you will just get lowballers. Upgraded cards obviously dont bring as much, especially with the old stuff because there is so many fakes, you really have to be an expert or your taking a huge chance spending a few hundred or thousand on a card. I wouldn't even buy an upgraded card unless its 2000s and up.
So what would be the best option do you think?

I mean for a guy that used to pay attention to this when he was a kid but now has no clue. Is there any honest people out there that can give an opinion on how to do this?

I too have sons of those newer ones like the id young guns of Sid, Ovie etc.

I’d say most of my cards Hockey wise are 81-82 and 83-84. Rc’s of note Hawerchuk, stasny, yzerman, lafontaine, Roy, Lemieux, Gilmour, messier, Neely, Hull, chelios etc. A bunch of others too but one can only go on so long.... Some 80-81 and then 85-86

have some decent baseball ones too. Clemens, Langston, Johnston, bonds, Griffey jr. Etc

I also have Rc’s of emmit smith and junior seau and a bunch more from early 90’s football but I’m guessing they’re a dime a dozen because of production numbers at that time.

anyways. Is there any decent way forward? I don’t exactly expect top dollar because I can’t dedicate time to getting into this.

my thoughts are get rid of them because I don’t do anything with them. Most are good shape and taken care of. Some were loved and aren’t exactly mint so to speak so I know those probably aren’t worth anything.

basically I think I want someone who knows their worth as a whole have a look at them and tell me if they’re worth anything at all and if so.... what should I seek for fair pricing.

maybe that auction place is the best option since they would be motivated to get good pricing... it’s just 30% is steep especially if they don’t fetch much. As they told me... sometimes the cards go for far more than they’re worth and sometimes they go for a fraction of that. It just depends what people are looking for at the moment. That’s maybe too unpredictable? But maybe if there’s a bigger market right now, it could be ok?

thoughts?

For the big names you listed I would honestly spend about 200 bucks for a PSA grading membership and send off you best 20 rookie cards. If you have ovi and crosby young guns they will bring big money . Like 2-3 grand each in good condition.Any superstar rookie players cards pre 85 as well. O pee chee are worth much more then topps. Even though they look the same. Opc were Canadian and much less made.

All the 80s names you listed are gonna be worth 150-500 bucks depending on condition.

Most of the big 90s cards arent even worth grading. For instance i have all jagr rookie cards in mint condition. Paid 20 bucks to grade them and they are worth about 25 bucks..lol.

The best place to get your values is ebay. If beckett says a card is worth 1000 bucks but it sells for 1500 on ebay. Thats the true value. Same goes the other way. If a 1000 card is selling for 600. Thats the value to me.

I would have someone look at them but dont let them buy anything, cause they will cherry pick. Take your best rookies in beat condition and send them to get graded. Sell the rest of them bulk or leave them to your kids. Normally works out to around 20 bucks a card to get graded. But It will definitely increase the value and authenticity. Even though you know the old ones are real cards, a buyer will have a hard time paying big money for ungraded. Cause they are taking a chance they are fake. Theres alot of fakes and some are really good. Just be very vareful handling them. A sratch or bump can drop the value significantly.

Roger that. Everything is o pee chee for older hockey. The baseball cards are leaf (Canadian version of donruss) which I’m told isn’t awesome even though they are lesser in print. Collectors look at them similar to how topps are looked at in hockey. Any truth to that? Just rumour ive read or been told.

now there’s a few different “graders” or “grading companies” (If that’s what they are called) out there. Which one is best? Is there a best or more sought after or trusted one?

and then obviously there are a bunch of businesses that can do the physical grading as well. Any suggestions there? Like a specific one

and just to confirm.... I’m looking at about 20 bucks per card for grading? That’s the fair price?

and basically stick to the pre 90’s and limited print newer ones like the Sid young guns?

and only the true superstars. Yzerman and Roy yes. Cam Neely and Doug Gilmour maybe not?

what about Brett Hull? Obvious superstar but 90’s age. that would be similar to the Jagr? I think I have him too. What a hell of a draft year that was lol!

On that....Total sidebar.... I’ll probably be buried with my Probie rookie card. Lol! What a fucking animal and all around decent guy he was. Well outside of the coke benders maybe! One of my friends got to fight him at the end of his career. Has a giant picture of them toe to toe above his pool table.

I really appreciate this advice sir. It’s very helpful!

Roger that. Everything is o pee chee for older hockey. The baseball cards are leaf (Canadian version of donruss) which I’m told isn’t awesome even though they are lesser in print. Collectors look at them similar to how topps are looked at in hockey. Any truth to that? Just rumour ive read or been told.

now there’s a few different “graders” or “grading companies” (If that’s what they are called) out there. Which one is best? Is there a best or more sought after or trusted one?

and then obviously there are a bunch of businesses that can do the physical grading as well. Any suggestions there? Like a specific one

and just to confirm.... I’m looking at about 20 bucks per card for grading? That’s the fair price?

and basically stick to the pre 90’s and limited print newer ones like the Sid young guns?

and only the true superstars. Yzerman and Roy yes. Cam Neely and Doug Gilmour maybe not?

what about Brett Hull? Obvious superstar but 90’s age. that would be similar to the Jagr? I think I have him too. What a hell of a draft year that was lol!

On that....Total sidebar.... I’ll probably be buried with my Probie rookie card. Lol! What a fucking animal and all around decent guy he was. Well outside of the coke benders maybe! One of my friends got to fight him at the end of his career. Has a giant picture of them toe to toe above his pool table.

I really appreciate this advice sir. It’s very helpful!
I don't even know much about the baseball. I have a griffey rookie worth like 10 bucks.. the 70s baseball are the good ones.

Psa grading and beckett are the top 2. Psa will bring better value imo and thats what I use. Beckett is good to but they have a different point system using half points. So a top psa card would be 9 or 10. Where as becket is 9 or 9.5. ( theres only a few 10s ever so 9.5 is normally consider the best with beckett) Thats where its gets weird. A psa 9 will bring much more then a beckett 9. Some people only buy PSA graded cards. Including myself. They are the top standard imo. Psa or beckett. Don't waste your time with any others like ksa or the cheap bvg grading. These cards may grade a 7 but really only be a 4 or 5 and they bring way less money. Also you get a barcode and its laminated inside, so you can look up the number to see if its legit. Also past selling prices, if the card has changed hands online.

Normally its around 20 bucks a card to get graded if its under 500 value. The more the card is valued the more you pay. Like a 20g gretzky they get 4 or 5 different people to grade the card to make sure they are exact. 1 point difference in grade could be thousands of dollars in loss or profit. So that will cost a couple hundred to grade.

Yzerman and roy are in the 300-500 range in good condition of course. But neely and Gilmore would be under 100 most likely. Brett hull is too new. I believe 88 and thats where the cards went way up in production. Same with sakic. You can get 10 rookie sakics for like 5 bucks. The cutoff is around 87. Pre 88 is worth money and the new era young guns. Young guns only came 1 card in every 5 packs on average. So not as many. Theres lots of rare gold cards and autograph cards, jersey cards for new stuff. Also something im not to knowledgeable about. Some are worth 1000s. Others not much, depends how rare and who it is. Mcdavid jersey card just sold for line 130 grand..for instance.

I have all the fighters too. Domi, probert even a few local guys I went to school with. Not alot of value but great keepsakes. I hang onto that stuff.

Even with the huge prices im still gonna try and pick up a few. I dont have a mcdavid, but I have over 8 unopened boxes. The big cards are actually a good investment. Never expected my 200$ gretzky i bought 5 years ago would be worth a grand easy. And its only a 2 on the psa grading scale.

Mcdavid, gretzky, crosby, ovi, lemieux , messier are the big ones untill you go back to the 70s. Lafleurs, howe, dryden, Then they are crazy. Bobby Orrs are worth the same as a new half ton. Cause in them days they were played with, never kept mint. Bourque is worth alot too cause they were all miscut for some reason, hard to find a decent one. It will bring over 500.

Alexis lafreniere new card is already worth 300-500 and hes never played a game.

Hope I answered your questions, I just ramble on..lol

I don't even know much about the baseball. I have a griffey rookie worth like 10 bucks.. the 70s baseball are the good ones.

Psa grading and beckett are the top 2. Psa will bring better value imo and thats what I use. Beckett is good to but they have a different point system using half points. So a top psa card would be 9 or 10. Where as becket is 9 or 9.5. ( theres only a few 10s ever so 9.5 is normally consider the best with beckett) Thats where its gets weird. A psa 9 will bring much more then a beckett 9. Some people only buy PSA graded cards. Including myself. They are the top standard imo. Psa or beckett. Don't waste your time with any others like ksa or the cheap bvg grading. These cards may grade a 7 but really only be a 4 or 5 and they bring way less money. Also you get a barcode and its laminated inside, so you can look up the number to see if its legit. Also past selling prices, if the card has changed hands online.

Normally its around 20 bucks a card to get graded if its under 500 value. The more the card is valued the more you pay. Like a 20g gretzky they get 4 or 5 different people to grade the card to make sure they are exact. 1 point difference in grade could be thousands of dollars in loss or profit. So that will cost a couple hundred to grade.

Yzerman and roy are in the 300-500 range in good condition of course. But neely and Gilmore would be under 100 most likely. Brett hull is too new. I believe 88 and thats where the cards went way up in production. Same with sakic. You can get 10 rookie sakics for like 5 bucks. The cutoff is around 87. Pre 88 is worth money and the new era young guns. Young guns only came 1 card in every 5 packs on average. So not as many. Theres lots of rare gold cards and autograph cards, jersey cards for new stuff. Also something im not to knowledgeable about. Some are worth 1000s. Others not much, depends how rare and who it is. Mcdavid jersey card just sold for line 130 grand..for instance.

I have all the fighters too. Domi, probert even a few local guys I went to school with. Not alot of value but great keepsakes. I hang onto that stuff.

Even with the huge prices im still gonna try and pick up a few. I dont have a mcdavid, but I have over 8 unopened boxes. The big cards are actually a good investment. Never expected my 200$ gretzky i bought 5 years ago would be worth a grand easy. And its only a 2 on the psa grading scale.

Mcdavid, gretzky, crosby, ovi, lemieux , messier are the big ones untill you go back to the 70s. Lafleurs, howe, dryden, Then they are crazy. Bobby Orrs are worth the same as a new half ton. Cause in them days they were played with, never kept mint. Bourque is worth alot too cause they were all miscut for some reason, hard to find a decent one. It will bring over 500.

Alexis lafreniere new card is already worth 300-500 and hes never played a game.

Hope I answered your questions, I just ramble on..lol
No that’s awesome! Thanks so much.

what about those stats cards with Gretzky. Like his 212 point season? I think my oldest Gretzky card is a 80-81 super action. I think its his second year. Not his main card obviously,one of those extras. Are any of those ones worth grading or only the main cards.

do you have a specific guy you use? Local or do you send them away? I only ask because I wouldn’t even know where to start picking sn outfit to do this.

nobody probably cares about my questions.... maybe I’ll take this to pm with you. Lol!

so helpful sir. Again.....Thank you so much!

No that’s awesome! Thanks so much.

what about those stats cards with Gretzky. Like his 212 point season? I think my oldest Gretzky card is a 80-81 super action. I think its his second year. Not his main card obviously,one of those extras. Are any of those ones worth grading or only the main cards.

do you have a specific guy you use? Local or do you send them away? I only ask because I wouldn’t even know where to start picking sn outfit to do this.

nobody probably cares about my questions.... maybe I’ll take this to pm with you. Lol!

so helpful sir. Again.....Thank you so much!
No even them stat cards arent worth much. Really only rookies. But depends on the card. Non rookies are hard to sell I find. I dont really use a guy, I send them straight to PSA for grading. Some local card shops will send them in for you when they get a bunch, but Ive never gone this route. I dont even buy cards local. I get everything from ebay. Cause if I dont like it , I can send it back. Basically dont trust anyone in the card industry, seems like 90% of people are sketchy as fuck.

The only cards I have that may have value are rookie cards of Ed Belfour, Jaromir Jagr, Wendall Clark. Guys from that era. What I had is tearful. Rookie Bobby Orr cards, and others from that era. Complete sets and double sets. My Mom, rest her soul, chucked them. I have Jagr and some from that era but full sets of baseball cards from the early nineties.
I have an autographed Johnny Bower card as well as a Cujo card autographed. Eddie Shack is traipsing around somewhere.

The only cards I have that may have value are rookie cards of Ed Belfour, Jaromir Jagr, Wendall Clark. Guys from that era. What I had is tearful. Rookie Bobby Orr cards, and others from that era. Complete sets and double sets. My Mom, rest her soul, chucked them. I have Jagr and some from that era but full sets of baseball cards from the early nineties.
I have an autographed Johnny Bower card as well as a Cujo card autographed. Eddie Shack is traipsing around somewhere.
Jonny bower and Eddie shack should be worth something. Them 90s ones arent worth a damn thing unfortunately. Luckily my mom's a hoarder so she kept everything..lol

I met Johnny at the old IAPA show one year. Such a nice guy. Loved to talk and incredibly big hands for such a small guy! So great to the fans!!

Eddie shack was a fucking weapon! He used to own a bar in Orangeville and he was a hoot when he got going.

Also big hands but a pretty good chunk of a man....and still even at that age... wasn’t afraid to use them every once in a while!

When I was a kid ( before the invention of the Zamboni), hockey was affordable, and we were able to swing tickets a few times a year. I think back and remember watching Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull play. Hull really did have a booming slapshot, and during the warmup, we kids would chant for him to slap it. Inevitably he would acknowledge us and let one go. The noise was frightful. Those guys always had time to sign anything you put in front of them before the game. All of us had signatures of some of the greats, and I bet our Moms all chucked them.
My great meet was Paul Henderson at Fairview Mall. He stopped and spoke with my wife and me for 15 minutes. Classy guy.

I have a couple relatives who keep certain collections and rookie cards in a safe and in a safety deposit box. Not sure on exact collections. Seen one cousin's Bobby Orr rookie card and realized my other cousin and him were true hockey card hoarders. They have built massive collections.

I have a couple relatives who keep certain collections and rookie cards in a safe and in a safety deposit box. Not sure on exact collections. Seen one cousin's Bobby Orr rookie card and realized my other cousin and him were true hockey card hoarders. They have built massive collections.
20201205_180200.jpg
Bobby orr is worth a bit..lol hey @Bagua