Help make sense of these blood sugars

animal-inside

Trusted Member
I'm on a full keto diet for the most part and my waking blood sugars are usually 5.0-5.7ish.

If I check at various tiems during the day I get 5.5-6.5ish

Today I had a good cheat meal.. went like this
-4:30 pm.. bowl of chips
-6:00 3 slices pizza
-6:20 chocolate bar
-6:30 2 big peices of cake...

about 7pm I checked my blood sugars for shits and gigles.... Was 8.4

After all that cabrs and pure sugar, it was 8.4

I know I my insulin recepotrs were worn out a few years ago.. But with my 8.4 blood sugar after that big cheat meal I think it shows my inslulin recptors are working fairly well again.

Am I correct in this reaosning?

That's is not the way to check. You probably have some insulin resistance.

And you need to check 2 hrs after eating. Not 30 min.

That's is not the way to check. You probably have some insulin resistance.

And you need to check 2 hrs after eating. Not 30 min.

K.. I didn't think it took 2 hours.. Does it take 2 hours to peak or 2 hours to just give a good idea?

I'm sure the time to check also depends on the type of cabr too correct?

I'm going to check riught now since I've eaten carbs and sugar all nigh tlol

So its 10:20.. I just checked 2 times and got 7.9 and 7.5..

Between 6:30 and now, I've eaten a bowl of pretzels, a few chocolates, a bottle of Cherry pop (355mls).. All this was evenly spread out between 6:30 and 10:00.. The bottle of pop was 9:30...

Next cheat meal, I will check my blood sugars every hour once I eat my cheat meal. I'm really interested to see what it looks like.

K.. I didn't think it took 2 hours.. Does it take 2 hours to peak or 2 hours to just give a good idea?

I'm sure the time to check also depends on the type of cabr too correct?

I'm going to check riught now since I've eaten carbs and sugar all nigh tlol
PicsArt_12-10-10.20.16.jpg

You can tell alot of things by checking your blood sugar before and after the 2 hr mark, it helps determine if you have insulin resistance etc , my wife and few friends that iv checked, barely move after eating, maybe a difference of 5.3 to 6 that tells me they have good insulin sensitivity .

If 2 hrs you check and its still above 6 to 7 , then to me that helps judge insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance Of course theres blood work you can check .

Blood sugar panels.
HbA1c
•HOMA-IR
•C-Peptide
•Fasting Insulin
•Fasting glucose

Doing this blood work can help identify if its insulin resistance, or low insulin etc

Weve talked on this before, have you talked to your doctor aboit metformin, if not you coukd try to get it on the underground and try it your self. Then you will no.

Weve talked on this before, have you talked to your doctor aboit metformin, if not you coukd try to get it on the underground and try it your self. Then you will no.

No I haven't. For a couple reason. My doctor is leaving town. His last day is Jan 1st. I have blood work to do (inlduing fasting BS) around Jan 1st.

My doctor thats leaving is really busy now and to be honest, his head isn't in the game due to his life circumstance. I know I have to get a new doc when I need my next script refill..

So my plan is to wait till the guy is gone, pick a new doctor, go over with them all that my current doctor did and has me doing.. Then explain I want:
HbA1c
•HOMA-IR
•C-Peptide
•Fasting Insulin
•Fasting glucose

And at the same time explain why I want to go on metaformin..

To be honest, I shoudl be on metaformin right now.. no matter what I do, my blood sugsr isn't moving anymore.. I lost 50lbs, I eat keto, I do cardio etc.. and nothign is budging my blood sugars and they don't relfect my efforts. I have a really strong histoary of type 2 in my family.. might as well use metafmormin now to save what's left of my insluin sensitivity while I can.

No I haven't. For a couple reason. My doctor is leaving town. His last day is Jan 1st. I have blood work to do (inlduing fasting BS) around Jan 1st.

My doctor thats leaving is really busy now and to be honest, his head isn't in the game due to his life circumstance. I know I have to get a new doc when I need my next script refill..

So my plan is to wait till the guy is gone, pick a new doctor, go over with them all that my current doctor did and has me doing.. Then explain I want:
HbA1c
•HOMA-IR
•C-Peptide
•Fasting Insulin
•Fasting glucose

And at the same time explain why I want to go on metaformin..

To be honest, I shoudl be on metaformin right now.. no matter what I do, my blood sugsr isn't moving anymore.. I lost 50lbs, I eat keto, I do cardio etc.. and nothign is budging my blood sugars and they don't relfect my efforts. I have a really strong histoary of type 2 in my family.. might as well use metafmormin now to save what's left of my insluin sensitivity while I can.

In situations like this, a longer basal insulin like lantus can help drastically. Don’t use it in large amounts to cover meals, just use it as a base to supplement your basal levels of insulin throughout the day and it will save the beta cells in your pancreas from burning out and becoming diabetic.

0.1iu per KG bodyweight is a good starting dosage and just keep simple sugars and your BG meter around to be safe. This will bring your fasted BG numbers down and give your cells that create insulin in your body a break and be diabetic preventative.

lantus is actually one of the safer insulin’s I would say, as long as it’s not used in large amounts or for meal time coverage. Because it’s a basal insulin, it doesn’t have any spikes that can put you in a hypoglycaemic state. It will just keep your fasted and basal numbers in range throughout the day.

I'm on a full keto diet for the most part and my waking blood sugars are usually 5.0-5.7ish.

If I check at various tiems during the day I get 5.5-6.5ish

Today I had a good cheat meal.. went like this
-4:30 pm.. bowl of chips
-6:00 3 slices pizza
-6:20 chocolate bar
-6:30 2 big peices of cake...

about 7pm I checked my blood sugars for shits and gigles.... Was 8.4

After all that cabrs and pure sugar, it was 8.4

I know I my insulin recepotrs were worn out a few years ago.. But with my 8.4 blood sugar after that big cheat meal I think it shows my inslulin recptors are working fairly well again.

Am I correct in this reaosning?
I'll show high 30 min after eating as well. As long as you are below the recommended after the 2 hours its likely nothing to worry about.