Help find the source of my higher blood sugars

Also a diet high in fats is a contributing cause to insulin resistance. High fat diets are linked to diabetes just as much or more than high sugar diets. Fats actually slow down the absorption of glucose into cells. For example when I take Humalog it’s Very important to avoid fats at that meal. Or it will effect how my insulin works and cause possible fat gains.
Nah man. Insulin is a storage hormone. If you take in extra fat around shot time it basically opens up all fat and glycogen receptors and will store glycogen and fat.
Fat in foods ie Efa’s doesn’t cause diabetes. Being fat causes insulin resistance and then can cause diabetes.
Food fats of the good source do the opposite in fact.
Not trying to call you out or be disrespectful. Had to chime in on this one.

I take Betaine HCL with every meal.. About 2500mg worth with pepsin. I have next to no stomach acid production so thats the reasoning. Ppl with my condition can also use apple cider viengar, but for the amount and frequency I need it, I can't stomach the ACV... I tried it before and couldn't do it.

Also, ACV doesn't have pepsin.. which REALLY helps with digestion
I take it as well, not medical as in your case, but it makes a world of difference when eating a lot of protein etc.

Nah man. Insulin is a storage hormone. If you take in extra fat around shot time it basically opens up all fat and glycogen receptors and will store glycogen and fat.
Fat in foods ie Efa’s doesn’t cause diabetes. Being fat causes insulin resistance and then can cause diabetes.
Still would have to disagree there. Don’t think you’re calling me out. But there is plenty of research out there. Fat 100% causes a slow down of absorption.

Last paragraph of the findings
“3) the potentiation of the insulin response to glucose when carbohydrate is co-ingested with fat is consistent with the well-documented insulin resistance associated with high fat diets.”

Reactions: PGM
Here is another plausible explanation, may not be it but thought I would share. Found a real good article by a doctor that had the same experience as you. He calls it 'adaptive glucose sparing' ... I was unaware of this phenomenon ... the relevant portion of the article is pasted below ( link for article is https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher ):

“We definitely see that in people who are doing low carb long term, the majority will find that their fasting blood glucose becomes their highest value of the day,” says Dr. Sarah Hallberg. “They are not actually having issues with blood sugar. They are doing really well. But if you are looking at a log of 24 hours of blood glucose you will see a high first thing in the morning and then a steady decline throughout the day, with no big excursions [in glucose levels] even after meals.”

The scientific name is “physiologic insulin resistance” and it’s a good thing — unlike “pathologic insulin resistance.”
As regular visitors will know from Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Ted Naiman, and Ivor Cummins, the “pathologic” kind of insulin resistance is caused by higher and higher levels of insulin — hyperinsulinemia — trying to force glucose into over-stuffed cells. That insulin resistance is a prominent feature of type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and other chronic conditions.

So let’s call physiologic insulin resistance instead “adaptive glucose sparing,” a name that has been proposed by many to reduce the confusion. Dr. Ted Naiman describes it as muscles that are in “glucose refusal mode.”

Prior to converting to the ketogenic diet, your muscles were the major sites to soak up and use glucose in the blood for energy. On the long-term keto diet, however, they now prefer fat as fuel. So the muscles are resisting the action of insulin to bring sugar into cells for energy, saying, in essence: “We don’t want or need your sugar anymore, so move it along.” Hence, the slightly elevated, but generally stable, glucose circulating in the blood.

Where is that glucose coming from when you consume no sugar and only leafy veggie carbs in your diet? Your liver, through gluconeogenesis — the creation of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids from proteins. It is a natural protective process that got homo sapiens through hundreds of thousands of years of feasts and famines.

“There is no essential requirement for dietary carbohydrate because humans possess a robust capacity to adapt to low-carbohydrate availability,” says Dr. Jeff Volek. In the liver of a keto-adapted person, he notes: “ketone production increases dramatically to displace glucose as the brain’s primary energy source, while fatty acids supply the majority of energy for skeletal muscle. Glucose production from non-carbohydrate sources via gluconeogenesis supplies carbons for the few cells dependent on glycolysis [using sugar for energy.]”

Why are blood sugars highest in the morning? It’s the dawn phenomenon, when cortisol, growth hormones, adrenaline and the enzyme glucagon pulse to the liver to get you up and moving for the day — spurring gluconeogenesis for the cells that need glucose.

“It’s your body making you breakfast,” notes one post that discusses the common phenomenon — except that when your muscles are fat-adapted, they don’t want it.

The HbA1c test estimates the average glucose level in the blood over the previous three months by counting the number of glucose molecules stuck on red blood cells. On a low-carb diet the HbA1c will almost always be lower than the FBG suggests, showing that good glucose control, or type 2 diabetes, is not an issue for that individual.

Here is another plausible explanation, may not be it but thought I would share. Found a real good article by a doctor that had the same experience as you. He calls it 'adaptive glucose sparing' ... I was unaware of this phenomenon ... the relevant portion of the article is pasted below ( link for article is https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher ):

“We definitely see that in people who are doing low carb long term, the majority will find that their fasting blood glucose becomes their highest value of the day,” says Dr. Sarah Hallberg. “They are not actually having issues with blood sugar. They are doing really well. But if you are looking at a log of 24 hours of blood glucose you will see a high first thing in the morning and then a steady decline throughout the day, with no big excursions [in glucose levels] even after meals.”

The scientific name is “physiologic insulin resistance” and it’s a good thing — unlike “pathologic insulin resistance.”
As regular visitors will know from Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Ted Naiman, and Ivor Cummins, the “pathologic” kind of insulin resistance is caused by higher and higher levels of insulin — hyperinsulinemia — trying to force glucose into over-stuffed cells. That insulin resistance is a prominent feature of type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and other chronic conditions.

So let’s call physiologic insulin resistance instead “adaptive glucose sparing,” a name that has been proposed by many to reduce the confusion. Dr. Ted Naiman describes it as muscles that are in “glucose refusal mode.”

Prior to converting to the ketogenic diet, your muscles were the major sites to soak up and use glucose in the blood for energy. On the long-term keto diet, however, they now prefer fat as fuel. So the muscles are resisting the action of insulin to bring sugar into cells for energy, saying, in essence: “We don’t want or need your sugar anymore, so move it along.” Hence, the slightly elevated, but generally stable, glucose circulating in the blood.

Where is that glucose coming from when you consume no sugar and only leafy veggie carbs in your diet? Your liver, through gluconeogenesis — the creation of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids from proteins. It is a natural protective process that got homo sapiens through hundreds of thousands of years of feasts and famines.

“There is no essential requirement for dietary carbohydrate because humans possess a robust capacity to adapt to low-carbohydrate availability,” says Dr. Jeff Volek. In the liver of a keto-adapted person, he notes: “ketone production increases dramatically to displace glucose as the brain’s primary energy source, while fatty acids supply the majority of energy for skeletal muscle. Glucose production from non-carbohydrate sources via gluconeogenesis supplies carbons for the few cells dependent on glycolysis [using sugar for energy.]”

Why are blood sugars highest in the morning? It’s the dawn phenomenon, when cortisol, growth hormones, adrenaline and the enzyme glucagon pulse to the liver to get you up and moving for the day — spurring gluconeogenesis for the cells that need glucose.

“It’s your body making you breakfast,” notes one post that discusses the common phenomenon — except that when your muscles are fat-adapted, they don’t want it.

The HbA1c test estimates the average glucose level in the blood over the previous three months by counting the number of glucose molecules stuck on red blood cells. On a low-carb diet the HbA1c will almost always be lower than the FBG suggests, showing that good glucose control, or type 2 diabetes, is not an issue for that individual.

This is really cool info.. I was going to ask for HbA1c test last time I was in, but I totally forgot to. This give me all the more reason to ask for it.

Interesting...
My doctor ALWAYS asks for AM blood work. He thinks my testosterone levels are higher in the morning despite being on TRT.. I comply anyways.

I usually get my blod work done at 9am... The last round of blood work was done at 11:30.. And it was when my blood glucose actually went down.. Coincidense, or this might be whats happening to me.

I won't deny that my fasting blood sugar was high all along, but since being on a full keto diet for over 3 months now, it should be lower than what it is in my opinion.

I read the article aswell.

I think I'll invest in a blood sugar montior.. The person who wrote the article said they had a device which measures blood sugars and keytones.. I checked amazon and didn't see a device that did both..

Anyone know where one can get one?

Reactions: PGM

I think I'll invest in a blood sugar montior.. The person who wrote the article said they had a device which measures blood sugars and keytones.. I checked amazon and didn't see a device that did both..

Any pharmacy has them, they are where you get your prescriptions. I use to have one and monitored my levels. Check what they have cause they now have devices that you don't even have to prick your finger. I think those are for pussies ...lol. Not sure if they check for ketones, but they will have something to test for ketones. I know they have those piss strips.

Any pharmacy has them, they are where you get your prescriptions. I use to have one and monitored my levels. Check what they have cause they now have devices that you don't even have to prick your finger. I think those are for pussies ...lol. Not sure if they check for ketones, but they will have something to test for ketones. I know they have those piss strips.

I know I'm in ketosis... my wife tells me I have awful breath anytime I go near her... She said my breath is fucking gross even after I brush my teeth an hour before.

Still would have to disagree there. Don’t think you’re calling me out. But there is plenty of research out there. Fat 100% causes a slow down of absorption.
yes, it 100 % causes slow down of insulin release and absorption of nutrients.

About your comment in article post, as i mentioned Fats when ingested with insulin, or with carbs especially high gi carbs which produce insulin will cause issues with glucose and diabetes traits over an extended period of time.
Fat when ingested with protein or alone has zero affect on becoming diabetic, nor glucose response in fact in many cases it will reverse the disease if in it's infancy stages.
your body still converts protein to glycogen as you need it and will fill muscle and liver glycogen stores, but not overcapacity spilling into the blood at an uncontrolled rate, normally.

Last edited:

Shoppers or any good pharmacy has them. i have really stable blood sugars, but i use mine very frequently as i do a lot of self experimentation with different foods.

I know I'm in ketosis... my wife tells me I have awful breath anytime I go near her... She said my breath is fucking gross even after I brush my teeth an hour before.
lol, too funny...the wifey comment.

just an aside, ketosis gives a sweet fruity taste and smell to the breath.

ketone strips are available at health stores and pharmacy as well.

so youre breath just smells like shit.....lol
too much ass eating, it's tough man, that little bunghole is very close to the vag, so whatever...You may have to tell her no more eating pussy ....lol, that would be torture on our part though, pussy eating is sweet, my buddy was weird...
He said i don't eat pussy man, too close to the dump.....lolol

That is when I would sneak up behind her wait for her to turn and breath heavily ...lol

lol, too funny...the wifey comment.

just an aside, ketosis gives a sweet fruity taste and smell to the breath.

ketone strips are available at health stores and pharmacy as well.

so youre breath just smells like shit.....lol
too much ass eating, it's tough man, that little bunghole is very close to the vag, so whatever...You may have to tell her no more eating pussy ....lol, that would be torture on our part though, pussy eating is sweet, my buddy was weird...
He said i don't eat pussy man, too close to the dump.....lolol

I heard the same for keto breath... But I heard can also smell like turpentine or nail polish remover..

Mine deffinitely smells like the latter.