Heavy lifting & joint/tendon damage

Rocky

Trusted Member
Was listening to this video of Milos Sarcev, Dave Palumbo and Tom prince

interestingly they all agree that lifting heavy is a recipe for damaged joints/tendons in the future.

anyone agree with this? I just started lifting heavy again ironically and I may stop after watching this video

Heavy is good.. can be very safe IMO....
but, you have to know your body... keep good form.. don't throw aaround weights you can't handle just for the numbers.

I'm in my 40s now.. I listen to my body... I get really sore elbows and shoulders at times.

I have learned how to lift heavy and not hurt myself. Sometimes that means not doing certain lifts...

For me, I can't do dips any more so I do cable press downs
I do decline bb bench for my heavy lift then either db incline or hammer strength machine incline.
Saves my shoulders.
Also no bb overhead press any more, again db or hammer strength

Just listen to your body... if it hurts don't do it.
Practice de-loading... can't always lift heavy.

Anyways that's my 2cents!

Last edited:
What shocked me was when Tom prince said he has basically 0 cartilage in his shoulders, and like 50% in his knees. He said it was because he always lifted in the 6-8 rep range but didnt mention poundages he lifted.

that being said he was a professional bodybuilder, if working out is just a hobby, it’s not even worth losing 10% of your cartilage in my opinion let alone 50%

I wonder how you’d check that and if it’s reversible to some extent, I’ll ask my doc and see if I can check the health of my cartilage.

I always had joint pains in highschool after working out, when I used gear I had none. Recently I started getting some joint pain after working out when I started lifting heavy with free weights again but I’m also taking medicine that lowers igf-1 which I think is the main cause of the joint pain.

i know Dave always talked about his shoulders being destroyed from lifting heavy and he tried a bunch of treatments with no avail. Ended up getting shoulder replacement surgery.

Tom prince mentioned he only has 50% range of motion in his shoulder.

I agree, deadlifts are the only thing ill do max still but I dunno I'm starting to feel I may need to stop. I've completely stopped bicep curls, barbell bench press, barbell overhead press and few other lifts and started just lifting 10 to 15 rep ranges as for years I was having major wrist forearms and elbow issues. Was kind of my 2020 goal was to rehab somehow 10 months in im feeling so good almost forgetting i have injuries and am creeping to heavy weights again.

My torn bicep would agree. :D

Still love to go heavy but now I'm a little more careful and back off a little more to recover when things start acting up.

OD
An injury will really do that to you!! I blew out my rotator cuff years ago... never did dips, flat bench or bb shoulder press since

Two of my close friends actually dislocated their shoulders and don’t even bodybuild but workout recreationally.

they always tell me how much it affects their ability to do certain exercises which has been at the back of my mind lately
Woke up with shoulder pain after each shoulder workout the day before, feels like a cramp but sharper pain and it lasts 60 seconds or so right when I wake up.
Switched to just machines yesterday and I still got shoulder pain this morning. Might take a break for a week and add a day or two extra between shoulder days

Two of my close friends actually dislocated their shoulders and don’t even bodybuild but workout recreationally.

they always tell me how much it affects their ability to do certain exercises which has been at the back of my mind lately
Woke up with shoulder pain after each shoulder workout the day before, feels like a cramp but sharper pain and it lasts 60 seconds or so right when I wake up.
Switched to just machines yesterday and I still got shoulder pain this morning. Might take a break for a week and add a day or two extra between shoulder days
I find doing rotator cuff exercises twice a week works wonders.. very light, higher reps... just don't do them on chest or shoulder day.
I do them on leg & back day.

I find doing rotator cuff exercises twice a week works wonders.. very light, higher reps... just don't do them on chest or shoulder day.

I wonder if it’s my rotator cuff or the cartilage, it’s a sharp pain in the middle of the delt and it only last 30 seconds to 60 seconds like a cramp but it’s definitely not a cramp

It’s weird when I was on gear I never had joint pains, I actually completely forgot about joint pain.
After quitting gear I got joint pain in the exact same spots I had in high school. I wonder if the gear masked the pain or increased recovery so much that I had none.

My rotator cuff issues start at my delt and go down to my elbow.
But mostly in the front delt and near my collarbone
The gear.. especially deca will mask joint pain... so always be cautious... I always have the worst joint pain, post cycle.

Another one to remember.. E2 .. I get the worst joint pains (shoulders, elbows, hips) when my E2 gets too high

Over head press will make for lots of shoulder problems.
Inpingement is one, then as time goes it you will get bursitis.
I get that same feeling of impingement when I do dips.... for me at least dips are just as bad.
For overhead press... what I've learned to do... I do about 6-8 set of side laterals first... then move to the hammer strength shoulder press machine.. the one where the back pad is inclined at a pretty good angle... the one plate a side get a crazy pump.. and no pain! Sometimes I feel good enough to go a bit heavier... but never need that much weight

Like I mentioned earlier I blew a rotator cuff out a long time ago... took a year off lifting.. did rehab...
It's good now... but I have to watch how and what I lift, or I can injure it in a few reps

I actually do rotaror cuffs everytime I'm in gym as part of my warm up, my shoulders are probably the healthiest out of rest of my body parts, been doing that for years after having lots of shoulder issues.

Reactions: Cog
I noticed everyone complains about shoulder pain and impingement. Well that joint is one of the most vulnerable to problems. It is a ball and socket joint so it does not hinge well into other bones like knees, elbows and ankles. The things I have done to minimize shoulder issues is:

-Don't go super heavy very often on any type of presses, keep in the 60 to 80% 1 rep max range
-stretch those fuckers often. full rotation stretching with bands I find are the best, make it part of your workout
-If you do push movements ... do just as many pull movements to have muscle development evenly around the shoulder
-if you want round massive shoulders with little injury stick to lateral front and rear raises rather than pressing
-if you are doing pressing movements with heavier weight squeeze the shoulders into their sockets as hard as possible along with squeezing the barbell this will minimize tendon compromise
-do Benches to the lower chest not with the elbows flared way out, this will help keep your shoulders squeezed into their sockets where they are safe not popped out of the sockets like when you bench to your upper pecs.

If you are having major continuous pain in your shoulders see a doctor that deals with shoulder surgery. I had one shoulder scrapped of bone spurs ... best pain reduction ever.

If your going to lift you are going to have repetitive stress injuries ... period ... the key is how to keep them minimized..

A
I actually do rotaror cuffs everytime I'm in gym as part of my warm up, my shoulders are probably the healthiest out of rest of my body parts, been doing that for years after having lots of shoulder issues.
Actually a necessity.

Anabolics allow your muscle to grow and strengthen at a much faster rate than tendons and ligaments therefore increasing your chance of injury While using gear increase your weights at a moderate and controlled rate even though you know you can lift heavier . A slow progression will lessen your chance of injury. Your strength and muscle gains will end up the same after a 12 week period only without the damaging effect. imo

Anabolics allow your muscle to grow and strengthen at a much faster rate than tendons and ligaments therefore increasing your chance of injury While using gear increase your weights at a moderate and controlled rate even though you know you can lift heavier . A slow progression will lessen your chance of injury. Your strength and muscle gains will end up the same after a 12 week period only without the damaging effect. imo

although this is what’s usually said, I found the opposite to be true

on gear my joints would never hurt and I’d never get injured
When I was natural and now that I’m off gear, I get joint pains again

i personally think steroids help more with hypertrophy than strength.