hear me out...

Curious whart your thoughts are now @FitTrader

Seems like inflation is happening like many said it would and QE (to my knowledge) isn't happening or isnt working like it's supposed too. Between costs of goods/services skyrokceting and taxes going up, we have deffinitley seen the buying power of our money drop, yet no wage increases.

Good morning ,

yes there is inflation but it’s not caused by monetary policy QE. The inflation is caused by supply constraints and bottle necks. Especially at ports and not enough workers to make sure everything runs smoothly and everything is packed up . For example chip shortage is causing issues with phones , cars and many other items. Oil demand is back up as countries come out of lockdown but supply is still not back so the price of oil is up to highs not seen since 2014. Ports are backed up and there is no truck drivers to unload the containers which also have gone up in prices. But all in all there is still many millions of people in the USA and Canada who are not back into the labour force. And the federal reserve has began to note that they will start reducing some of their QE and the bank of Canada also.
This is all caused from covid and lockdowns and labour shortages and constraints.

again QE is for the markets and the economy to function during times of it breaking down
The QE does not directly cause inflation

QE from the bank of Canada has no influence on opec deciding not to raise oil supply a few weeks ago to reduce the price.

if you want to see something interesting check the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the USD. As Canada is a country which currency does well when oil is up. Check from March2020 to now. The Canadian dollar was 1.46 for every 1 usd now it is 1.236 for every 1 usd

This is enough to squash that QE causes hyperinflation as our dollar has gotten stronger relative to reserve currency of the world.

also another issue is energy crisis is Europe and China. China has to reduce some factor production hours in areas due to low supply of natural gas and energy. But demand is still high for Christmas time and this causes prices to go up, price of shipping container is up etc etc and the whole supply chain is broken

This is due to human error not Monetary policy

I went to crate and barrel they said 6-8 months to arrive for a couch and they can’t even promise it
And that’s coming from usa not even overseas

as for the wages. Depends what sector
In the service sector due to lack of supply restraurants have to pay up to get staff

but a new car salesman is being fired a there is no inventory to sell

Good morning ,

yes there is inflation but it’s not caused by monetary policy QE. The inflation is caused by supply constraints and bottle necks. Especially at ports and not enough workers to make sure everything runs smoothly and everything is packed up . For example chip shortage is causing issues with phones , cars and many other items. Oil demand is back up as countries come out of lockdown but supply is still not back so the price of oil is up to highs not seen since 2014. Ports are backed up and there is no truck drivers to unload the containers which also have gone up in prices. But all in all there is still many millions of people in the USA and Canada who are not back into the labour force. And the federal reserve has began to note that they will start reducing some of their QE and the bank of Canada also.
This is all caused from covid and lockdowns and labour shortages and constraints.

again QE is for the markets and the economy to function during times of it breaking down
The QE does not directly cause inflation

QE from the bank of Canada has no influence on opec deciding not to raise oil supply a few weeks ago to reduce the price.

if you want to see something interesting check the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the USD. As Canada is a country which currency does well when oil is up. Check from March2020 to now. The Canadian dollar was 1.46 for every 1 usd now it is 1.236 for every 1 usd

This is enough to squash that QE causes hyperinflation as our dollar has gotten stronger relative to reserve currency of the world.

also another issue is energy crisis is Europe and China. China has to reduce some factor production hours in areas due to low supply of natural gas and energy. But demand is still high for Christmas time and this causes prices to go up, price of shipping container is up etc etc and the whole supply chain is broken

This is due to human error not Monetary policy

I went to crate and barrel they said 6-8 months to arrive for a couch and they can’t even promise it
And that’s coming from usa not even overseas

as for the wages. Depends what sector
In the service sector due to lack of supply restraurants have to pay up to get staff

but a new car salesman is being fired a there is no inventory to sell

So your saying its basically supply and demand?

I understand the supply is very very low right now. I was told the other day that a seacan of goods from China has more than doubled, depending on the goods inside.

I know the contractors in my area (trades) are hurting right now. They have told me what they charge the customer has risen a LOT because the material they use has risen a LOT. And in turn, people aren't renovating, building etc.. so they are hurting..

Is this not still inflation? My understanding is inflation is when your dollar buys less then before/ when prices go up but wages do not.

In my post I didn't mean QE is causing inflatation. I meant QE is not not controlling inflation.

Also, do you predict a big jump in interest rates in the near future?

To me, I can not see how they can raise interest rates. Think about how many Canadians have a 300-700,000 mortgage right now. And how many of them are paycheque to paycheque.. And include all the landlords in that with their rental properties..

IF they increase the interest rates from near zero to say 5-7%, many many people couldn't afford their mortage anymore or would have to make major $ cuts to other areas. To me, with the area I am in and the people I know, a 5% jump in interest rates would tank a lot of people since many have so many loans for houses/cars/toys.

Do you think our dollar really is worth what we are saying it is? My understanding is "money" is supposed to be a direct reflection of goods/services produced and sold.

It’s inflation through supply bottle neck yes

it is inflation cost of good rising due to demand going up but supply remaining backed up

they would not increase 0 to 5-7%
They increase at .25 bps at a time

but yes increasing too fast to fight the inflation when actual wage growth and economic growth isn’t running hot would cause a burden on a borrowers and be bad

I am sure I mentioned that somewhere in April LOL

you seem to not understand macroeconomics and monetary policy which is okay... in 2008 the federal reserve “printed money” via QE to save the USA during the GFC. But after that inflation boom never came...QE does not cause the hyper inflation you are talking about.. quantative easing..

that’s what the bank of Canada did... it’s called QE.. they buy bonds off bank balance sheets and replace it with bank reserves.. it’s way more complicated but it doesn’t actually mean more money is printed a la Venezuela or Zimbabwe

Yes sir

ending QE actually makes our dollar stronger in relative terms with other currencies

it’s a response to the supply inflation
They had to it and try to transition back to normalizing interest rates

the rate hike will be the real test
Their first .25bps hike will be very imporant and what happens after that

Yes sir

ending QE actually makes our dollar stronger in relative terms with other currencies

it’s a response to the supply inflation
They had to it and try to transition back to normalizing interest rates

the rate hike will be the real test
Their first .25bps hike will be very imporant and what happens after that

Those hikes are without a doubt going to put people into a situation they never ever thought they would be in. They should have been more forward thinking, but you can not predict the future and no matter how much planning or preparations sometimes you just can't adequately prepare

Our government has printed off massive massive massvie amounts of money lately... YOu can not print off massive amounts of money and not have inflation happen..

This is false.

Just curious about your take on things now.

I am not super with it in economics, but when I started this thread, I was confident with all the money printing we'd have inflation.

Inflation is happening and its larger than whats actually reported. Whats the cause?

Supply chain issues
Mixed with fiscal policy ( free money )
Labour market distortions ( price wage spiral )
Oil of course

So a lot a of money chasing the same amount of goods

For example look at Walmart and target
They have massive amount of inventory
They ordered and ordered while the supply chain was backed up . Now demand has slowed down and they have excess inventory

This excess inventory will have to go on sale eventually to be sold to a struggling consumer

Another is the labour markets distortions

No one wants to work
Service sector increase wages to attract employees
They pass on the cost to customers
( price wage spiral)

Oil obviously increases the cost of all things to get to us which is a huge fuck up on behalf of North America

The thing is QE never causes inflation before
There’s is a lot of factors in this post covid world but yeah Leaving rates low for long causes excess borrowing and spending, but the fiscal policy is the real killer giving people and companies free money

Example : USA gave PPE loans to all companies so free money
Millions depending company size
In Florida or Georgia they shut down once
Opened never locked down again

Let’s say you own a window company
You applied and got millions of free money
Your Bussiness is FINE people are buying homes . Things are open, no lockdown etc
You have a bank account with millions

So you use this money to order more supplies
and but ordering isn’t like before theirs higher cost longer waits and there’s more people like you doing the same thing so supply and demand

A lot of money chasing the same amount of goods in a time where things are not flowing the same ( China lockdown, container cost, supplier not able to meet deadline, supplier don’t have employees etc etc)

What's your predictions for the next few years?
Projection is that we start cutting rates Q2 2023

there is a lot of cash on the side lines

People waiting to put risk back on and cycle continues

Near term
The raising of rates is creating demand destruction and weath destruction ( with asset prices , and people losing jobs ) this is from
Bloomberg Today

After a hiring frenzy, companies from Alphabet to Apple and Ford to Coinbase are rethinking staffing plans and even starting to fire people

People losing job higher unemployment will cool down the inflation ( that’s the central banks plan) and also try to fix the distorted job market

i can’t predict what will happen but it won’t be 2008

Projection is that we start cutting rates Q2 2023

there is a lot of cash on the side lines

People waiting to put risk back on and cycle continues

Near term
The raising of rates is creating demand destruction and weath destruction ( with asset prices , and people losing jobs ) this is from
Bloomberg Today

After a hiring frenzy, companies from Alphabet to Apple and Ford to Coinbase are rethinking staffing plans and even starting to fire people

People losing job higher unemployment will cool down the inflation ( that’s the central banks plan) and also try to fix the distorted job market

i can’t predict what will happen but it won’t be 2008

for the worse I am assuming? 2008/2009 should have been a full on recession but Harper sold the gold reserves to get out of it, from what I have read.. We no longer have anything to help us along like that

This is a great thread, awesoinfo and questions Animal inside and fit teader. Good info to soak up and ready awareness!! IMO

Good chart USA relative to Canada

Attachments

• E62A47D2-08C6-446F-A07F-F71A3D2739BC.jpeg
    E62A47D2-08C6-446F-A07F-F71A3D2739BC.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
Good chart USA relative to Canada
Well the correction is happening now with house prices and it will stabilize things for the next 2-3 years. At that point prices start inching up again. Same cycle that we experience in 2008 to 2010 time frame.