Gym etiquette where has it gone?

Frank.castle

If you want peace, Prepare for war
Trusted Member
Alright guys and gals I’m not sure about all gyms but for fuck sakes has everyone forgot gym etiquette?

You use weights put them back! Go into my gym and there’s maybe 50% of the dumbbells on the rack (2 full sets). The rest are scattered everywhere. The leg press is loaded with 12 plates, the squat racks are strewn with plates all over the ground. Go back to kindergarten and learn to put your fucking toys away.

Then there’s the assholes sitting on a bench for 30 minutes texting on their phone... you ask if they’re done you get a dirty look and told no brah I got 4 more sets.... if you’re in the gym to fucking search grinder or be on Facebook and plan your night at “da club”. Get the fuck off the equipment so people who are there to actually train can get their shit done!

This shit drives me crazy! :mad:

I find it's usually guys that are guilty but most recently I was almost completely done my workout and wanted to use the Standing Machine Shrugs machine so I could load it up with 10-12 plates and do some fairly heavy shrugs to finish off and get out.

There was a lady there with her phone placed on the seat taking up the machine while she held up a tiny little plate in front of her and did the little exercise where she pretends it's a f'n steering wheel.

I was dripping with sweat as I put my stuff closer the machine area so I guess she figured out that I was hoping to use it next. So, instead of just being nice and moving her phone she decided to try out the machine now instead of her little steering wheel plate exercise and then proceeded to do sets of machine shrugs with no weights added and nothing but the machine... WTF? I said B-i-t-t-t-t-c-h-h-h-h-h-h! :D

Last night I saw a guy take the nice, pretty coloured, olympic bumper type weights from the squat rack, bring them over to the flat bench and use them to bench press (not heavy, he just liked to use the pretty weights) - WTF was that about? :geek:

Don't get me started with naked old men brushing their teeth, shaving, drying off with the wall dryer when they have a towel available... the horror! :eek:

Or when you are near a locker and getting things ready and there's all kinds of empty lockers available (over 95 % probably) yet some idiot comes and basically moves in almost on top of all your shit because they prefer the locker or area you are near - even though you were clearly already there and busy getting ready. :poop:

OD

This shit drives me crazy! :mad:

I find it's usually guys that are guilty but most recently I was almost completely done my workout and wanted to use the Standing Machine Shrugs machine so I could load it up with 10-12 plates and do some fairly heavy shrugs to finish off and get out.

There was a lady there with her phone placed on the seat taking up the machine while she held up a tiny little plate in front of her and did the little exercise where she pretends it's a f'n steering wheel.

I was dripping with sweat as I put my stuff closer the machine area so I guess she figured out that I was hoping to use it next. So, instead of just being nice and moving her phone she decided to try out the machine now instead of her little steering wheel plate exercise and then proceeded to do sets of machine shrugs with no weights added and nothing but the machine... WTF? I said B-i-t-t-t-t-c-h-h-h-h-h-h! :D

Last night I saw a guy take the nice, pretty coloured, olympic bumper type weights from the squat rack, bring them over to the flat bench and use them to bench press (not heavy, he just liked to use the pretty weights) - WTF was that about? :geek:

Don't get me started with naked old men brushing their teeth, shaving, drying off with the wall dryer when they have a towel available... the horror! :eek:

Or when you are near a locker and getting things ready and there's all kinds of empty lockers available (over 95 % probably) yet some idiot comes and basically moves in almost on top of all your shit because they prefer the locker or area you are near - even though you were clearly already there and busy getting ready. :poop:

OD

Bull makes mental note to never "brush both my teeth, shave my pitts and crotch, then do not dry off with the wall dryer. bring a towel next time "

I’ve gained a pet peeve at the gym. Dudes who use a locker without a padlock. It seems such a stupid thing but I hate opening 5 fucking locker doors to put my stuff in only to see a bag stuffed in there. Like dude if you don’t care to lock the locker just throw your bag on top or something.

Benefits of being in a small town with a small gym I guess, I just go at 830 at night and it’s usually just me there. Maybe 1 or 2 other people.

The only thing I can’t stand there is the fucking vegans

I’ve gained a pet peeve at the gym. Dudes who use a locker without a padlock. It seems such a stupid thing but I hate opening 5 fucking locker doors to put my stuff in only to see a bag stuffed in there. Like dude if you don’t care to lock the locker just throw your bag on top or something.

That drives me absolutely crazy I’m so glad I’m not the only one!!!

I can’t stand gyms these days
When I started I trained in the basement of a public pool
The walls sweated in the summer, there were no machines. It was guys deadlifting squatting, shoulder pressing and benching.
When I joined no one talked to me for months
The place was awesome. We gave preference to the bigger guys when they needed equipment. Everyone trained hard, put their shit away and respected each other. Once you got known then you were welcomed into the fold. Guys wore sweats and sweaters and ratty old tshirts

Tank tops were frowned upon and you definitely would have been laughed out of the place if you were wearing compression pants under your shorts when you are doing arms like guys do today

I recently found a powerlifting and strongman gym it’s so awesome it’s only people wanting to train not just there trying to look cool. Commercial gyms are a cesspool imo

I gave up.

I used to go in each morning and set all the weights up on the power rack. Have them in the right spots and laid out but every time I went in it was fucked up again soive stopped fixing it.

I always try and put my stuff back but sometimes I can’t cuz there’s 15 10lbs plates on one side of the rack. I worked out at a fit4less recently and I have to give them credit on this. Weighs were all neatly set up dumbbells in their spots.

Fucken eh brother! Even worse is when it's just one small thing in there like one shirt or a key ring. GRRRRR

I can’t stand gyms these days
When I started I trained in the basement of a public pool
The walls sweated in the summer, there were no machines. It was guys deadlifting squatting, shoulder pressing and benching.
When I joined no one talked to me for months
The place was awesome. We gave preference to the bigger guys when they needed equipment. Everyone trained hard, put their shit away and respected each other. Once you got known then you were welcomed into the fold. Guys wore sweats and sweaters and ratty old tshirts

Tank tops were frowned upon and you definitely would have been laughed out of the place if you were wearing compression pants under your shorts when you are doing arms like guys do today

I recently found a powerlifting and strongman gym it’s so awesome it’s only people wanting to train not just there trying to look cool. Commercial gyms are a cesspool imo

Bang on, except for the tank tops which were fine. Got me feelin all nostalgic and sad missing those days now :cry:. Still a few good places around thankfully, wish there was one closer to home though.

Fucken eh brother! Even worse is when it's just one small thing in there like one shirt or a key ring. GRRRRR

Bang on, except for the tank tops which were fine. Got me feelin all nostalgic and sad missing those days now :cry:. Still a few good places around thankfully, wish there was one closer to home though.

Ya it’s tough to find a gym with that old school feel these days
Coolest thing about this gym is you get interviewed to join, they won’t just let anyone join. They don’t want commercial type gym people there
The owner told me he doesn’t advertise his gym because if you are meant to train there you will find it...I thought that was really cool

Hahaha! So am I man! I thought I was being so petty.

I feel it’s inconsiderate
Like you said I really want to look through 5 dam lockers before I find one....usually once I got my eye set on one I want that one ...it has no lock on it and I have chosen it ....then open it and there’s someone’s shit in there I get pretty choked

I feel it’s inconsiderate
Like you said I really want to look through 5 dam lockers before I find one....usually once I got my eye set on one I want that one ...it has no lock on it and I have chosen it ....then open it and there’s someone’s shit in there I get pretty choked

I really have to fight the urge to take that shit out if all lockers are full. I would never do it though, I think touching other peoples shit when it's not absolutely necessary is a cardinal sin, I would fucking flip if someone did it to me.

Leave your towel, water bottle, phone or something abandoned on a bench too long and I will carefully move it if I need that equipment without a care though. I will gladly engage in a "discussion" of whatever sort you wish if that makes you unhappy. Old school bros were not very gentle in situations like that lol

Couple of things that have irritated me recently (I work out at a albeit quiet, commercial gym):
  • Plates & DB's left lying everywhere (usually girls who are guilty of this one)
  • On Sunday a lady started speaking to my partner whilst she was spotting me (ascending/descending leg press where have to quickly strip plates), WTF.. I nearly screamed at her
  • People not cleaning up after themselves
  • All this fucking 'gymshark' crap, people posing in front of the mirrors, selfies on the machines etc.

Also, has anyone else noticed an influx of these ridiculous boot things that everyone has started wearing? I gather it's probably evolved from IG but all of a sudden everyone is wearing these high top boxer shoes.

Also, has anyone else noticed an influx of these ridiculous boot things that everyone has started wearing? I gather it's probably evolved from IG but all of a sudden everyone is wearing these high top boxer shoes.
Are they Sabos? They’re powerlifting shoes. I can imagine people just buying them cos they see bros on insta wearing them.