Forum Challenge - You want to get strong.. take a lift, train it hard and near max ...But do it every day for 30 days

I have been aware of that Bulgarian style lifting for some time.
I heard some were lifting several times a day.
I always thought it might involve high suspension and who knows what else to recover and grow.

Reactions: PGM
I have been aware of that Bulgarian style lifting for some time.
I heard some were lifting several times a day.
I always thought it might involve high suspension and who knows what else to recover and grow.
yes there are many aspects of it. And they did training multiple times a day up to 6 hr 3 days a week and 4 hours the other 3 and a day off. They trained for 30 minutes... then took a break ... then another hard 30 minutes then another break. Not sure what they did for recovery but I would assume a lot of carbs between sets and a whole lot of gear. I am only doing it once a day and want to see how I respond

@pgmunn you are a brave man deadlifting at 61? I pretty much gave them up at 40.
A little different type of deadlifting as it's sumo ... puts less shearing on your spine as your legs are wide, ass is down and you are more upright. Actually over the last 3 days my back has felt better. After 30 days I may switch to the squat with a cambered or safety squat bar.

Day4 on the 30 day challenge. Want to see if this method work. Adjust my setup by making my arms long and pulled my chest up higher. As a result 345 went up relatively easy. Technique will get better every day . Here it is
[GALLERY=media, 29][/GALLERY]

I went to goodlife today to do my sumo lifts and the platform was not that friendly. The deadlifting platforms have soft padded areas out where the weight sit. When I take my stance my feet are on the soft padded area and does not give you a solid base to push down on. Oh well it wasn't bad. 315 was easy but my feet where adjusting back and forth on the soft padded area. 365 did not go. Any input on technique would be appreciated.
[GALLERY=media, 30][/GALLERY]

I went to goodlife today to do my sumo lifts and the platform was not that friendly. The deadlifting platforms have soft padded areas out where the weight sit. When I take my stance my feet are on the soft padded area and does not give you a solid base to push down on. Oh well it wasn't bad. 315 was easy but my feet where adjusting back and forth on the soft padded area. 365 did not go. Any input on technique would be appreciated.
[GALLERY=media, 30][/GALLERY]

Not much i could help with for sumo. Tried it once a long time ago and that was it.
Hard to see in the video, but are you engaging your lats before the pull? If you could get your lats engaged and shoulders pulled back, good tension on the bar, sit back then lift, could help. Again, you may be doing that now, just hard to tell with the blackout.
But you had it up, so next time.

Not much i could help with for sumo. Tried it once a long time ago and that was it.
Hard to see in the video, but are you engaging your lats before the pull? If you could get your lats engaged and shoulders pulled back, good tension on the bar, sit back then lift, could help. Again, you may be doing that now, just hard to tell with the blackout.
But you had it up, so next time.
I will check my setup next time. Cause sumo is new to me I am thinking of 2 many things I will definitely try to dial in the upper body lat and grip tightness and sit back a bit more. (y)

What about the groin area?Enough flexibility and engagement?
I find I am thinking a lot about push out on the sides of my feet, arching them, keeping a tight back glutes and hams. I think my biggest problem at the moment is I am not getting back far enough on my heels and getting the upper body upright enough, cause I find myself pitching forward a bit. I hit it correct on the 4th day when 345 went up and felt not all that hard. Need to grease the groove more often and my strength is down as I have not lifted moderately heavy for a while. I will check to ensure the groin area is being squeezed as well to. Damn I just thought of something ... I always forget about pre squeezing the muscles tightly before the lift rather than engaging them slowly through the lift ... this always improves my lifts significantly. Will definitely remember that one for next lift which will be monday as I am away for 2 days at my moms. Will extend my challenge to a 32 day challenge now lol

Well day 7, I warmed up with 225 for 5, 295 for 3, 315 for 2, 345 for 1, I went to 395 (was at goodlife) and I stalled at the knees. It has to be technique so I went down to 295 and pulled 3's for 3 sets and I felt more stable with the technique after the 9 reps. Not even going to post the video as I know it is technique. Going to watch a number of videos tonight on the technique and we will see tomorrow if I need to change anything. I finished up with some sled pushes for 8 sets adding a couple of 45's on the 5th push. Damn sled pushes just demolishes the thighs glutes hams and calves ... your core also gets a work out as it has to be squeezed like hell as well too. Going to add these in whenever I get to goodlife which may not be a lot as I start work tomorrow till the end of November.

Day 8, I did not sumo lift. I spend 3hrs tuging and pulling off a motorcycle tire from its rim. I watched a video pn you tube and it was so easy, the tire was nice and loose ... he popped it off in no time. I was friggin exhausted after I got the tire off. My son even had to jump in and held pull the rim off the last tire edge. F**k it. I am taking the tire and the rim and they are going to kawasaki to be put on. I will pay the price, it is not worth the effort.

So i am douched, no deadlifting tonight, day 8 is tomorrow. Here is a pic of the GD motorcycle tire

Attachments

• tire off.jpg
    tire off.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 5
Day 8, I did not sumo lift. I spend 3hrs tuging and pulling off a motorcycle tire from its rim. I watched a video pn you tube and it was so easy, the tire was nice and loose ... he popped it off in no time. I was friggin exhausted after I got the tire off. My son even had to jump in and held pull the rim off the last tire edge. F**k it. I am taking the tire and the rim and they are going to kawasaki to be put on. I will pay the price, it is not worth the effort.

So i am douched, no deadlifting tonight, day 8 is tomorrow. Here is a pic of the GD motorcycle tire
You got the hard part off. Inner bead shouldnt be too bad?
New one should go on much easier than taking other off. Watch the direction though
And any local autoshop with a modern tire changer can do it. You will want to balance it anyway

You got the hard part off. Inner bead shouldnt be too bad?
New one should go on much easier than taking other off. Watch the direction though
And any local autoshop with a modern tire changer can do it. You will want to balance it anyway
yep I was watching the direction. It was a lot harder trying to pry it on than breaking the bead and getting the tire off. I think it was because the new tire was not very pliable compared to the old one. Yep going to take it to a shop and have it put on with a automated tie changer and balanced. Better tools are paramount in this situation. it was fun trying and learned a lot taking the wheel and tire off. Gotta know when to get help.

yep I was watching the direction. It was a lot harder trying to pry it on than breaking the bead and getting the tire off. I think it was because the new tire was not very pliable compared to the old one. Yep going to take it to a shop and have it put on with a automated tie changer and balanced. Better tools are paramount in this situation. it was fun trying and learned a lot taking the wheel and tire off. Gotta know when to get help.

Yeah, never fun by hand. LOL
You need to change a few tractor trailer tires by hand. You would love it, i promise.

so I did day 8 over again today and it was 225 x3, 295 x 3, 315 x 2, 365 x 1(easy), 395 x 1 (overhand grip giving me issues, thumbs not use to being compressed real hard). I may put a video on when I get to mid 400''s hopefully around day 15 - 20.

Do you use straps? I never used to but have some tendon issues now. My grip has always been a little too good and starting to pay for it now.
also found alternating grip brings it up uneven and shifts the weight to one side just enough to bother my hips.
Always wanted to try a pair of figure eight straps..

Do you use straps? I never used to but have some tendon issues now. My grip has always been a little too good and starting to pay for it now.
also found alternating grip brings it up uneven and shifts the weight to one side just enough to bother my hips.
Always wanted to try a pair of figure eight straps..
i bought some chalk so I am not using straps when I lift at home ... at goodlife I use straps, which is seldom. The alternating grip I did not find bad in the conventional, the bar did not twist on me but in the sumo the bar seem to go uneven ... that is why I am using the olympic style grip, over over fingers gripping the thumb. I might start taping the thumbs once it gets heavier just to remove the knurl of the bar digging into the thumb. But I don't know the thumbs will callous and lose there nerve sharpness.. Just like doing knuckle push ups on hard floor. Hurts like hell when you do them for the first month ... then the callouses start and pain goes away. I have Never used figure 8 straps, just old cloth straps.