Fiber and appropriate carb intake

Bigbear

The Kodiak
Trusted Member
I have a question for the sciency guys, the average Joe just eats carbs because the taste butbwe do for fuel and to prevent catabolism. If im taking fiber like psyllium husk powder will that just slow the rate of absorption or will it actually prevent some of the needed carbohydrates from entering the blood stream and somewhat be detrimental to the purpose of eating them in the first place?

It could do both but then why bother even eating the carbs, you'd ultimately be putting yourself in a deficit

I have a question for the sciency guys, the average Joe just eats carbs because the taste butbwe do for fuel and to prevent catabolism. If im taking fiber like psyllium husk powder will that just slow the rate of absorption or will it actually prevent some of the needed carbohydrates from entering the blood stream and somewhat be detrimental to the purpose of eating them in the first place?
I can only tell you from my own experience since I increased my fibre intake, I have gained weight. Doesn't really make sense but no doubt it will level out in time.
No other real change albeit I did change my workout system which 'they' say can be kicker for growth. In general most people don't get enough fibre and it is an important part of your diet. Many carb rich sources of food have zero fibre. If you add up your fibre intake for a day on a standard BB diet - pending the diet of course - people don't get much which is not all that healthy.

I try to get as much as I can from food - vegetables / fruit / beans / lentils, etc. but I started taking sugar free psyllium husk twice a day after I did some calculations and realized I was not getting enough.

Theoretically, and please correct me if I am wrong since it isn't digested it should increase the transit time of the food leaving your system - in other words push the food out faster. That is why 'they' say not to take fibre supplements when you take your medication. It is best to take fibre a few hours before or after required medication. Somewhat the opposite of how taking a tablespoon of EVOO or a healthy fat source on one of your last meals will slow down digestion and you should get more out of the food over night.

Hopefully, this makes sense but as a general rule adding a little more fibre to your diet is not going to make a big difference in growth or waste food. Your body will adjust and hopefully work in an optimal way for intake and yes coming out the other end. Not to get to disgusting but our waste products are a good indication of our overall health and what we may need in our diet.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but yes - more fibre - I suspect you will absorb a little less of the food. More healthy fats and you will absorb more of the food. I don't really think about it too much other than when reading labels it amazed me the small amount of fibre you can have in a large steak and rice meal. Even some of the veggies don't provide much fibre.
Just thoughts I have - not stating any of this for fact.