Egg white cartons

Nixter

Trusted Member
Anyone else drinking egg whites straight out of the carton? 1cup gives you 30g of protein! I saw a video from Derek/More Plate More Dates where he says he does this. The taste is a bit odd but three glugs and it's gone! This plus some steel cut oats are basically my breakfast every day. Just thought I'd share as it's my favorite recent tip for getting easy protein, something I struggle with getting enough of.

Anyone else drinking egg whites straight out of the carton? 1cup gives you 30g of protein! I saw a video from Derek/More Plate More Dates where he says he does this. The taste is a bit odd but three glugs and it's gone! This plus some steel cut oats are basically my breakfast every day. Just thought I'd share as it's my favorite recent tip for getting easy protein, something I struggle with getting enough of.

I'm still seeking a solid answer on how much of that protein is bioavailable. I have never received an answer I was confident in, just guesses, some educated. I bring it up on the boards once in a while, the number of people/organizations I have inquired about this to is vast, egg boards/associations some very popular social media health and fitness peeps etc. iirc there is info about what happens to the albumin when cooked but nothing I've found about pasteurized egg whites.

Whatca know Nixter? Anyone?

Somebody here has some contact with Layne Norton I think, maybe @Rocky ? I can't remember if I ever heard his thoughts.

Apologies if we've been through this and I've forgotten. I do know that I never stopped cooking mine through this quest

I was told some time ago that egg whites you buy in carton are pasteurized, which means cooked. And not cooking, say frying, reduces the chance of denaturing them which make “raw” an equal or better choice.

This was from a well known online coach,

I use to drink egg whites from the container out of convenience at work with the added bonus of grossing co workers out

I'm still seeking a solid answer on how much of that protein is bioavailable. I have never received an answer I was confident in, just guesses, some educated. I bring it up on the boards once in a while, the number of people/organizations I have inquired about this to is vast, egg boards/associations some very popular social media health and fitness peeps etc. iirc there is info about what happens to the albumin when cooked but nothing I've found about pasteurized egg whites.

Somebody here has some contact with Layne Norton I think, maybe @Rocky ? I can't remember if I ever heard his thoughts.

Apologies if we've been through this and I've forgotten. I do know that I never stopped cooking mine through this quest

Here is some info that I have to add from my coach...

"The liquid egg white actually do not absorb as well as cooked eggs. It also is probably the number one food I see food insensitivity develop with. I understand the allure, easy to just drink, but many end up with issues. I prefer cooking over easy with a slightly running yolk. This means yolk cholesterol won't oxidize potentially, and you get more protein absorption. I can't remember the exact difference but I believe it was upwards of 30% more absorption when cooked."

I can see drinking it if your are in an insane surplus where you’re struggling to eat food. But at the end of the day (for me anyway) I need to eat all of my protein sources for satiety reasons.

Then again, my appetite has always been crazy high. Currently eating 4300 cals a day and I’m still wanting more [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped looking into it because I was never really going to drink egg whites but was curious about it

but seeing as how jay cutler drinks them raw, I think it should be fine.
I can’t remember for sure but I’m pretty sure layne Norton did say you can just drink it.

@Nixter sorry if this has turned into a bit of a threadjack :)

Thanks to all who have replied, hope there are more

I started to write a reply, but forgot I need to meet someone at the gym shortly so I gotta git now, back tonight

I have no issues drinking egg whites from the carton. Also used them for shakes and put in cereal.
Drank lots whole raw eggs too.

I used to do this often. Eventually I developed an intolerance and would always get stomach aches from eggs (whites and whole). It was only recently that I was able to reincorporate them into my diet (only cooked).

I lived on eggs....dozens and dozens per week. Scrambled, raw, boiled....conveniences, quality all great

I did developed an intolerance. If i eat one egg now, i get an upset stomach and stuffy nose for two days.

Lesson...all things in moderation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do this often. Eventually I developed an intolerance and would always get stomach aches from eggs (whites and whole). It was only recently that I was able to reincorporate them into my diet (only cooked).

Most guys don't understand you need to use a large variety of protien sources or you can develope senesitibty/intolerance to one or more protien sources.

Protien sources should be cycled and use a varity all the time.

Right now for me its: ground turkey, whey casin, eggs, egg whites from carton, beef, chicken, cottage cheese

Eventually I'll get tired of something like eggs and remove it completely for swhile

Luckily most of us gets tired of a specific protien source before we become intolerant too it. But can't hurt to consiously rotate them and use a variety

I’m not into the eggs whites. I thought at one time someone posted that they are not always chicken egg whites, lol.
I swallow 6 whole eggs every day. Just gulp down the yolks. I find if you don’t break them it tastes a bit like milk,

I was told some time ago that egg whites you buy in carton are pasteurized, which means cooked. And not cooking, say frying, reduces the chance of denaturing them which make “raw” an equal or better choice.

This was from a well known online coach,

I use to drink egg whites from the container out of convenience at work with the added bonus of grossing co workers out

@Twoskinny - As with almost anything this subject is stupidly complicated if you dig in deep enough so I understand we are speaking somewhat loosely here. My reply here now is just to clarify a few points that I think deserve a little more digging into.

To call something pasteurized "cooked" is technically correct as yes, it is prepared by heating. This is really pushing the boundaries of how the term cooked is commonly used though, at best most people might say barely or half cooked. I hope y'all are catching what I mean here, if you said "Eggs for breakfast!" and presented a bowl of pasteurized egg whites and a spoon your average 5 year old would probably have a tearful meltdown and any guests you were serving would probably be like "wtf aren't you gonna cook this slime?"

This leads to discussion of denaturing proteins. Seems to be very commonly misunderstood, quite probably by myself as well but I tell ya what I think anyways :)

My very abbreviated take - most everything I've seen in the literature referencing protein denaturing being a negative thing is referring to protein in a live state, it's bad because it leads to cell death or malfunction. This obviously means that you don't want the protein in your muscles to denature.

This is where the confusion comes in IMO, concern for cellular damage of what we eat is rather badly misplaced as denaturing is a normal and desirable part of the digestion process.

In this arena it's not just desirable, hey it's already partially digested, it is absolutely necessary. The more the better, it's tied into the level of bio availability - no denaturing = no digestion = no amino acids available to your body. This is where my question of how bio available these egg whites are comes from.

Why is it not more commonly discussed in this vein? Probably because it's very hard to measure what happens to it once it enters the body. The study that @biguglynewf posted explains this very well if interested.

BTW thanks for that post BUN, I don't think I've ever seen it before and it's very informative. The problem my nitpicking brain has with it is that it does not address my question directly although there is enough info in their to reach some reasonable conclusions. They compare raw vs cooked but pasteurized is some where in the middle.

It does say "In conclusion, with the use of stable isotope techniques, we were able to determine the amounts of egg protein escaping digestion and absorption in the small intestine after ingestion of a physiologic load. Native egg protein is malabsorbed to an important extent. The assimilation of egg protein is facilitated by heat-pretreatment, but remains incomplete."

So all of that rambling leads me to believe that the bio availability of pasteurized egg whites would be less than when properly cooked but more than when raw, the opposite of what @Twoskinny 's coach said.

The reason I want to know so bad is so I can make a decision about how to consume them, I usually consume a cup a day cooked but if the level of usable protein available by drinking it is high enough I'm not opposed to that at all, budget is a concern, is it cost and time effective enough when all things are considered?

I tag posts with this fairly often but PLEASE correct or educate me where possible, I'm not trying to prove I'm right, I only seek to be correctly informed.

drinking only eggs raw gives me the runs and brutal gas unless I mix them into a shake with slower digesting carbs

Well shit. Guess I'm back to cooking them
"The availability of egg protein is 91% with cooked eggs and only 50% with raw eggs"